A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant: Your response when people see you quilting and say stupid things to you.  (Read 19011 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2014 11:11:08 AM »

*waves*  Hi all, I'm new here.  Came across the site while Googling something or other, got lost in the finished quilts threads, decided to stay a while.  Smiley

My favorite was "You're going to cut up all that fabric just so you can sew it all together again?!".

Yep, that's the idea.  Cheesy
This made me laugh - it's what my mum keeps saying to me.  It's usually my cue to gently remark on the fact that she doesn't go around swaddled in raw fabric ripped straight off the bolt.  What makes it even more bizarre is the fact that she's done a *lot* of dressmaking in her time and is the person who taught me to sew.  She's also asked me to make things for her, though I don't mind too much since it's an excuse to buy MOAR fabric and do MOAR quilting, which is a boon since I'm still learning.  Wink  In fact, she was the recipient of the first quilted item I ever completed.  My best friend and his family were recipients of my second ever finished quilt.  I think mum is in general quite proud of the things I've made so far but it's clear that patchwork and quilting is terra incognita to her, so I often find myself doing a bit of a show-and-tell when I'm doing a particular pattern or technique or playing with a new quilting toy - typically it'll be something I only just learned about myself!  XD

A comment that annoys me but isn't directly quilting related comes from my sister: "Please send me a wishlist so I know what to get for your birthday/Christmas."  Holy freaking crap woman, have you even SEEN how many hobbies and interests I have?  How can you have been my sister for 30+ years and still have no apparent clue what I'm into?  *facepalm*

I don't really get comments from strangers since I haven't yet done any quilting/crafting in public, but my friends are pretty cool about it - but then most of my friends are nerds themselves in one way or another.  Smiley  Some of the odder conversations I've had with strangers about quilting have actually been with other quilters.  Two in particular spring to mind.  The first was when I'd just moved back to Wales after being abroad for a long time and was looking for a quilting/patchwork group to join for a bit of moral support and gentle guidance (online tutorials just don't quite cut it); I rang up one group and the woman was really sniffy about a self-confessed beginner joining and informed me that "they didn't teach quilting" and that "there was no room anyhow."  :s  Luckily the next person I called up was wonderful and welcoming and now I go to her group twice a month.  I'm the youngest person there by easily 15 years, but they're a lovely bunch and we have a great time sewing, showing off what we've done and gently teasing each other.

The other odd encounter was more recent; I was browsing magazines in WHSmiths because there was a chance I was going to be stuck in Tesco's waiting for a pick-up the next day and their magazine selection is abysmal.  I'd passed over the bead mags (my usual craft-mag choice) as having nothing of interest and was casting an eye over the patchwork/quilting mags instead.  I never normally buy quilting magazines because my problem is not a lack of ideas, it's an excess.  Suddenly the woman standing next to me asked me if I was a quilter, I replied that I was but that I was still learning.  She proceeded to lecture me slightly on how few people quilted in the area compared with the village she came from, where apparently everyone quilted, the loads of C&G courses she'd done, the fabric shops in the area (my family have lived here for ~18 years, she's lived here for ~6 months) and did I know that you could recycle clothes to make patchwork too?  (Yes, as someone who's made silk patchwork cushion covers from charity shop finds, I do know that.)  I realised she was judging me on my age (I'm 33), my self-confessed learner status and the fact that I was buying a quilting magazine and although I can see why she might have done that, it still irked me.  I'm not a great fan of being patronised.  I did tell her about my quilting group, but as far as I know she hasn't contacted the lady who runs it yet and I find myself hoping she doesn't...

Edited to fix the blog links, sorry 'bout that!  D:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014 03:25:31 PM by Amazon_warrior » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finished: 5/14 quilted items in 2014

I have a blog, yes I do.
WeeFreeRhie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2014 10:02:24 AM »

Shouldn't you be texting, not quilting?

What is this I don't even...what?!

I love to craft. I also love to text. I often to do both at once, in fact. I also craft with friends more often than not, and talk to them while I do so. Usually why we are listening to music on the XBOX or looking at something funny on someone's Facebook. Why can't crafting and technology just live happily ever after?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yippie-ki-yay FELLOW CRAFTERS! Cheesy
WeeFreeRhie

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2014 10:51:52 AM »

and the awkward comment of "I dont have the patience for that" I never know what to say to them because I'm generally not a patient person but I find sewing to be extremely relaxing and it slows me down. So in a way, the sewing makes me patient:)

Heh I get that too! I just say "neither do I." and keep going. They look they get is really amusing. The truth is, it's what makes me patient, too. Sewing properly forces me to slow down, and do a good job. Then I look at it, and it looks awesome. That tangible result from patience helps me in other areas too, like studying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yippie-ki-yay FELLOW CRAFTERS! Cheesy
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2014 11:21:06 AM »

Instagram and facebook all the quilts! Cheesy

ETA: heading to hand sewing happy hour with my quilt guild in a few hours, I'll be taking some pics!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014 11:22:07 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Take Your Thanksgiving Pie To The Next Level This Year
Mint-Infused Lemon Bars Recipe
DIY Gift Idea: How to Make Cupcakes in a Jar
Iced Pumpkin Mousse Pie Recipe
Crème Caramel Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...