A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant: Your response when people see you quilting and say stupid things to you.  (Read 18830 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2013 12:03:41 PM »

oh wow...for me it is not the quilt, but the process...guess she was not really a quilter at heart... Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2013 09:12:50 AM »

Rght now. While it is 29C here. I have six quilts draped on my couch. One on the rocking chair, five in the quilt basket. And thats just in the room im in.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2013 05:07:57 AM »

well now I have just bought a tiny little cottage to live in, to avoid a three hour commute, it will be a monday-friday/school term home...so I have a whole house empty of quilts, well that is not strictly true. I brought my craftster prize winning quilt (Oldest WIP) and another one I made years ago, to put on the beds, to make it feel more like home...but there are a lot of chairs that can use a quilt..

never enough!..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2013 06:12:22 AM »

My & DH bedroom is colour themed around the quilt I got in my very 1st swap on Craftster  Grin Yes it does hang on a wall but we still love & cherish it none the less.

And I am about to attempt to make my 2nd ever quilt (with a lot of help from my friend) and I'm hoping it turns out large enough to go on our superKing sized bed Cheesy. Im not naturally a quilter but I do love how they look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ceralea
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2013 03:37:50 AM »

Reading through this thread has just consumed a fair bit of my evening but it was so worth it - some of your tales are very funny.  Cheesy  I hand piece while on the train to work sometimes and got asked once why I don't use a machine - well the machine isn't quite as portable as a needle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2013 01:40:18 PM »

lol I guess your train does not have electrical outlets either...Wink

I was asked that on the bus...that is exactly what I said:  I couldn't find a place to plug in my sewing machine...the person looked at me like I was crazy...yes, I was...crazy to be sitting next to you, trying to hand sew in peace... Grin
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013 01:42:09 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

xdm
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2013 03:02:40 PM »

The problem I run into the most, isn't shock or critisizim, it's usually more along the lines of "Oh, you can do that? You should sell them - can I have one? Can you make/fix this for me?" Yeah, in all my spare freaking time people, for free.

Yep this is what I get too.   As I've recently opened a sewing school I can now tell them "No, I can't do it for you, but I can teach it to you.  Here's my card ."
THEN.... I had a woman call and ask me to show her how to make chair covers for her dining room chairs and I got the resounding "OH!" when I quoted her the private lesson price.  Needless to say, she didn't call back.  DUH !  I run a sewing school !  Why WOULDN'T I charge for my time ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xdm aka pnh aka......... Kip. www.pnhsews.weebly. com
mouseinmypocket

There's a mouse in my pocket!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2014 09:52:48 AM »

Fortunately, I've not had too many "stupid" comments concerning my quilting.  I do occasionally get a "but you're so young" comment, but I always feel that it's a compliment, not an attack.

Really the only issue I have is with the some of the owners of the quilting stores that cater to a more traditional clientele.  I often get asked why I haven't cut off that big extra piece of fabric on the side, and have to calmly explain that I meant to have it there.  Yes, the design is offset. Don't complain.  It means the background is bigger and I have to buy more fabric.

Fortunately, I've just generally learned which of the local quilt stores are a better fit for my sewing style and needs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on my website http://www.mouseinmypocket.com, or just stop by to say hello!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2014 11:01:02 AM »

I like off centered quilts...it is an unexpected surprise...that is why I love Craftster--seeing both traditional and modern style quilts, and then some that have no definition except personal style!

Nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sera unravled
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2014 10:00:16 AM »

luckily I have not had any negative comments about quilting, although whenever I go into my LQS I feel like I'm being watched.

I love going into Joann's because everybody is so friendly, there is one girl in particular that I like. last time I was there she skipped her break just to chat with me, she peeked in my cart and asked what I was making. She also talked about what she was crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Julia DeVillers Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Amy Reed Talks About Beautiful
Inventory Book Trailer
Promises Book Trailer
Shoptimism Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...