A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant: Your response when people see you quilting and say stupid things to you.  (Read 17851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2012 10:36:58 AM »

I grew up in the boonies and when you can go days without electricity in the winter, you start finding things to occupy your time!!! My Mom has always crocheted and sewed most of my clothes when I was a child, so she taught me as a way to cure the "MOOOOOOM, I'm sooooo bored!" complaints. That spiraled into me learning just about every other craft I can manage to afford  Cheesy

Now as a not yet 30 year old adult, I get teased incessantly at work because they know I crochet, sew, knit, can pickles, make candles, etc, etc. Yet they always want to know "Where did you buy that purse!", "That hat looks so warm and soft, where can I get one!". Duh....I made it, you watched me crochet it during lunch. "Oh, that's right, you're Amish, that sort of thing is embedded in your DNA." Right...I'm Amish, working at a global corporation...with computers...

Or my favorite: "Why do you do all that crafty stuff, you know you can just buy it"
My response: "Because I sit in front of a computer for 9 hours a day, when I go home, I don't want to sit in front of another screen mindlessly doing nothing. Plus, handmade is almost always better because I know where it came from!"
Them: "Oh, I'm the same way, when I go home I don't want to sit in front of a screen either."
Me: "Okay, so what do you do at home after work?"
Them: "I play x-box til bedtime"

*Facepalm*

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2012 10:50:28 AM »

I always say that I'm a cheapskate and if I make things for myself I can afford a XXXX later (I make sure my XXXX is something that they couldn't dream of affording but still really want).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
jnicodemus
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2013 07:50:39 PM »

The stupidest thing I can remember right now - for both me and the girl at the fabric store - happened several years ago when I was buying backing material for a blue jean quilt I made.  I finally found a blue fabric with little daisies that would be just perfect for the friend I was giving the quilt to and I asked the Cutter Girl for 6 yards.  She began to unroll the bolt and asked:

Girl: What are you going to use the fabric for?
Me: It's backing for a quilt I made.
Girl: It sure is a long, skinny quilt.

I then explained that I would cut the length in half and sew the long sides together so it would be wide enough for the quilt.  She didn't seem to get it. 

Unfortunately, this conversation left me a little dumbstruck and when she told me that there wasn't a full 6yd piece on the bolt - only smaller pieces I gave up on it the material and went to find something else.  I ended up buying some different fabric that I didn't like so much, but would work and it was only after I had washed the new material  that I realized that I could have just bought some of the 3yd pieces that were on the daisy bolt!  Dumb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyns quilts
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2013 02:53:30 PM »

I was sitting at my quilting frame working on a quilt when a relative came by my quilt shop(it's in my house). She actually looked at me and asked if I was working on a quilt. That was one comment so silly I didn't have a answer for it. I also have friends and relatives who tell me that they will "let" me make them a quilt. That's when I tell them I will let them pay me for doing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2013 06:02:29 AM »

I found this thread yesterday and read all the way through it.  It cracked me up. 

1.  My only peeve about fabric cutters are the few who are careless and cut crooked.  A poor young thing cut my quarter yard piece so badly that it was only about 7 inches wide at one end.  It would have been useless for the project which called for 8 inch blocks.  She was outraged that I asked her to measure it and then cut it again.  While I LOVE the shops that roll off an extra inch or two to make sure your cut is the right size, I don't expect it.  I do expect to get the amount I am paying for.  Mostly I love talking to my fabric cutters.  The ladies in the "old school" shop really know their stuff.  The young 'uns in the chain stores are usually curious enough to keep it interesting.

2.  Speaking of crafting in public, you would not believe the double takes, questions and funny looks boy blacksmith got when he started doing demos at 15.  It is definitely not considered a kid craft! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2013 03:25:27 AM »

Well apart from the people who say 'oh make one for me'..yeah right...My mother has said to me a couple of times, after admiring my latest creation (I have only made about 10 quilts in total and a few of those have been given away) 'What do you want to make any more for, you have enough now'

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bushbaby
Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2013 05:56:37 AM »

On the thread of shop people saying stupid things, I just had to share this with you all:

About 2 years ago I won a bundle of 12x1/2 metre Amy Butler fabrics in a mix of patterns and plains from an Embroiderers guild Prize Draw. Actually I won a bottle of red wine and the lady behind me won the fabric, and since I'm teetotal and she 'only embroiders' we agreed to swap!  Grin

My friend (an amazing quilter) has agreed to tutor me in making a quilt in a week or so's time. So picture us, 4 days ago, both experienced crafters, standing in the (major chain)fabric store deciding on sashing, the 1 extra plain and the vital 1 extra pattern 1/2 mtr we need. The Sales lady asked what we are doing and when I explain about winning she said "What a strange prize to get in a raffle!"

huh??  Shocked

what?!?!?  Shocked

This is the person who is supposed to be encouraging me to BUY fabrics, not making discouraging remarks!

She got a quick "Not from the Embroiderers Guild it's not!" reply from me. Couldnt face telling her that I'm sure it was her shop that donated the prize in the 1st place!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2013 10:13:23 AM »

As someone who just spent a quilty weekend raffling off literally dozens of bags of fabric I have no idea what she was smoking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2013 10:45:15 AM »

lol I can't believe that there is not at least a bit of education for workers in fabric/quilt shops...of course, I have come to realize that people with fabric obsessions probably should NOT work in those places...they would go broke instead of earn a living! Grin

lol edelc--what is the definition of "enough" quilts?  it does not exist!!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013 10:46:34 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2013 11:20:59 AM »

lol edelc--what is the definition of "enough" quilts?  it does not exist!!!

I messaged a gal from my quilt guild a while back to see how she was doing since I hadn't seen her at guild in a while. She let me know she had enough quilts in her house so she was done quilting because "you can only use so many quilts." I had no words. She was always kind of a strange duck though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 3/19

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wash Your Face During the Winter
3 Moisturizers for Soft Sweet-Smelling Skin
Dita Von Teese Reveals Her Skin Care Secrets
How To Make Lip Gloss At Home
How to Create the Viktor and Rolf Runway Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...