A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,775
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant: Your response when people see you quilting and say stupid things to you.  (Read 20461 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thingsivemade
Trying to sew the fabric of the universe with invisible thread is tricky.

A wielder of karma and scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2012 09:42:11 AM »

Thankfully, I don't get many stupid or snarky comments, but the one that really annoys me is "Oh, you sew? Can you make this/that/the other for me/a friend/whoever?" as if it doesn't take any time or cost to make anything. My favourite responses are "I could" with a little awkward silence to indicate that yes, I can make that but I aint gonna, or "Sure, how much are you going to pay me?" which always seems to throw people.
 The other phrase I hate is "Oh I wish I could sew, but I don't know how." usually said by someone who has no interest in learning anything new and just wishes to have instant talent.

Sometimes people are baffled as to why I make stuff but they get even more baffled when I tell them I don't watch TV. I'm a baffling person and enjoy watching people slowly but surely try to back away from me Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can have whirlpools in the fabric of existence, because it is a very strange fabric." - Terry Pratchett (Equal Rites)
Nymphara
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2012 07:43:11 PM »

Ohh, this thread makes me happy. I almost  never get any beef for quilting, but knitting is another story. I had my boyfriend's dad ask why I was knitting socks when I could get them at the store. I acted all surprised, and said "Really?? I can get hand knitted socks out of merino and nylon hand dyed yarn at the store??" My point got across.  Also, for the "I don't have the patience" comments, I always respond that I don't have the patience not to. I have to have something to do. I can't just sit there on the bus or at lunch or wherever with nothing to keep me occupied!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2012 09:23:17 AM »

Ok just found this post and read all 9 pages in one sitting. Love all the foolishness. I have supportive husband and family for the most part. My husband picks on me about buying fabric just to cut it up and then sew it back together again but he loves the finished products.  My mother who started me on most of the crafting that I do now loves to see what I have made, but she wants me to make one for her even though she can make it for herself. I get tired of crafting for everyone else and no one crafting for me even when they know how. That is where the swapping on here has helped.

I have one cousin who loves what I make and says I should teach her how, she wishes she could be crafty. I often think if everyone who said they wanted to learn how to do a craft did it wouldnt be fun for the rest of us anymore.

Then the other cousin who always has something negative to say. When I made poppets while visiting she said it was ugly and creepy. I dont comment on your lack of creativity dont comment on my creativity. It is just ignorant.

Then there is the inevitable that is so nice you should sell those. I know I could but no one wants to pay what I think my crafts are worth. It is a lot of time and energy to create things to sell them to someone who may or maynot take care of my creation. 

I also get the How do you have time to craft comments, and I find that if I dont craft and I just sit still I get bored or fall asleep. I dont watch TV without something in my hands to do. I cant sit still, my leg is always bouncing and I find I pay attention better if I am crafting for some reason. I even joke that there are weeks when I am tired and it would be easier to stay awake at church if I took something to do.

And for those who say it is selfish and I am taking time away from my family. My 5 year old is almost always right next to me watching and trying to help. She makes plastic canvas artwork, she has used a knitting loom to make a small hat, and she has stuffed several pillows. So no not selfish or taking time away, I am starting to teach the next generation. So she will hopefully be a better crafter at my age then I am.

I had a lady one day comment on my crochet that her grand mother crocheted and she thought odd that I was so young and crocheting.  I was at the end of my rope that week and told her I was just practicing so I know what to do when I am a grandmother. She just laughed and sat there quietly watching. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2012 09:26:32 AM »

One more thing, I can remember my mother making my easter outfits once in a while but the easter outfit I remember most and I still have is one year my mom got sick the week of easter and I was so upset that my Dad finished the dress, a satin dress. I was so proud to say my Daddy made me my dress. So when I wanted to learn to spin my own yarn most of my family thought it was nuts to make my own yarn when I can go to the store to buy it. But my dad made the spindles and completly understood wanting to know how to make something I use all the time. 

Thanks for letting me rant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2012 12:17:12 PM »

I personally think it is great when people craft around or with children/teenagers.  I think it opens them to a whole new way of thinking, keeps them occupied, and lets them feel a sense of satisfaction when they finish something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2012 03:35:55 AM »

i'm so lucky, my boyfriend not only puts up with my crafting, he enjoys watching me craft.  He appreciates my finished articles (his brother called him a lovesick puppy when he was wandering around the house wearing the scarf i made him) and buys me YARN, he bought me 30 of hand dyed yarn for my birthday, which i'm currently working with and has threatened to buy me more yarn this weekend because there's a shop we'll be going past which has hand spun hand dyed yarns, so pretty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Mrs Kay
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2012 02:54:03 PM »

i'm so lucky, my boyfriend not only puts up with my crafting, he enjoys watching me craft.  He appreciates my finished articles

He sounds like a keeper Selnith- my boyfriend was the same when we met and we're now married. You can tell a lot about a man by his attitude to your hobbies Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tearE
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2012 11:35:11 AM »

"What are knitting?" I hand sew quilt and embroider....I don't know how to knit but I do know it look faaaarrr different from quilting... *facepalm*

I've been making fabric yoyos lately and I get that question aaaaallllllllll the time.

What irritates me most is older women in stores assuming I don't know what I'm doing. I'm 29 and i've been sewing since I was 5. Last time I went to the local quilt shop this happened:
woman: so, your first quilt?
me: no, i've made a few before. *take out the top that i'm here to find a border for*
woman: Oh, pretty! who helped you, your mom?
me: lol, um, no, no one helped me
woman: ok, when you find what you want bring it up and i'll fugure out how much you need.
me: hon, I've been sewing longer than your kids have been alive. If I need your help I'll ask, but i'm pretty sure i can figure it out.
woman: well, you looked confused and I've done this many times

I'd like to point out I've been there often enough to know that her son, kyle, dropped out of college because his gf, erica, is very controlling and always tells him what to do. (so she says) But they never remember me and always treat me like a flake. Sigh. I feel better letting that out, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

>>>>>>>>Swap some fabric with me! <<<<<<<<

Happiness comes from the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. (fortune cookie)
donniesgirl
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2012 12:29:12 PM »

I've gotten the "too young" comments on sewing in general and sometimes I feel like I'm asked for extra help in the quilting store...but at this stage of the game, I let it all roll off my back.  I don't feel like I have to justify anything to anyone.  I find sewing relaxing, even if I only get 10-20 minutes in a day to do it. 

As a former "fabric cutter" and current fabric buyer, I can honestly say that the most annoying thing about getting fabric cut is the other customers who can't make up their minds.  I'm not saying that a fabric cutter's laziness or ignorance is justified, but please understand that these people are often paid not much more than minimum wage for a pretty thankless retail job.

My friends & family are pretty supportive of my sewing - I have been doing it forever.  The only thing I get teased about is not finishing projects, but I'm working on that!  And usual responses are "can you make one for me?"  I don't bring any of the domestic arts to work, though.  Props to those of you that do, but I don't want to risk being judged for it because of the male dominated area I'm in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2012 08:07:37 AM »

You have a great attitude, donniesgirl!  Why let strangers affect your joy of sewing?

I think we had a whole other discussion thread on people asking you to make things or fix things when you sew..Cheesy

I just quote a price and they usually go away... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Tucker Talks About The Promised World
Mostly Good Girls Book Trailer
Lauren Strasnick Talks About Her and Me and You
Scott Westerfeld Talks About Working with an Illustrator
Mireille Giuliano Talks About Women, Work and the Art of Savoir Faire
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...