A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant: Your response when people see you quilting and say stupid things to you.  (Read 18813 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008 10:06:47 AM »

The cutters at my local love it when i come in.  i usually grab anywhere from 10-35 bolts and usually get a half meter of each.  they know they wont have to deal with anyone else for a while when they see me.

i have actually seen bartering over who gets to cut for me.  swapping lunch times, fetching coffees just for the privilege of not having to work very hard for a while.  ;-)

and i admit.  i have a few favourites myself.  i hate hate hate it when the slooooooooooooooooo ooooooooow girl is on.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008 10:33:49 AM »

Well as a cutter myself at a fabric store I totally can understand the frustration of alot of cuts BUT I actually prefer the larger orders. I like to imagine what I can use these fabrics for! I think its fun! But we have a 1yd min. at our store. Anywho thought I'd share Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grandmaluvs_alex
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008 07:08:57 PM »

I get annoyed with people who make the "why do you bother with doing that" kind of comments. Like whatever craft I happen to be working on is beneath them and not worth their time and act like I'm an idiot for "wasting" my time. Fortunately, I don't get that too much. I like to think of them as jealous because they're to lazy to learn something new. That may be a bit snarky, but it makes me feel better, lol!

Most of the time though, people are nice and will sometimes ask what I'm working on, show a little genuine interest. I spent a lot of time in doctor's offices before and after my back surgery 5 years ago and to pass the time in the waiting rooms, I would bring a small crochet or knit project with me. Most people either didn't really pay much attention, but some would ask to see what I was working on. I was making mostly crocheted doilies at the time and got some very nice compliments, so I supposed it all evens out in the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saraheliza
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008 11:21:00 PM »

Most of my friends 'get it' but sometimes, say if someone I don't know at work finds out I quilt, I get the 'why bother' question.

I normally ask what they do on an evening, and when they say 'not a lot', or 'just watch tv' or something, I smile sweetly and say 'OK' really slowly, like I'm confused about why that's a better option than creating something beautiful. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008 12:08:08 AM »

Blondgirl - I wanta make a blond joke but it sounds like you're the smartest one in the bunch! Perhaps you could look up the definition of quilting and quote it to her in Webster's words. Or just say the obvious to us "The whole point of the quilting is the visible stitches on both sides. Why would one want to cover up such beautiful stitching." The Hawaiians thought cutting fabric into a bunch of small pieces and sewing them together was a silly waste of time. Their work is beautiful.
If they don't appreciate my creativity then I don't waste my time on their gifts, if I give them one...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
LouraPalmr
Seamstress Of Hairspray Beauty Lounge

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008 12:27:08 AM »

i've gotten the most is the "young" commment for years now, i'm 32. but the best is "wow, i never expected someone with pink & and black hair cover in tattoos to be a quilter!" the best is that they are astounded that i *really* know what the hell i'm doing. i love to keep suprising them. about the fabric cutters, most of them know me, the hair etc is a good reminder. i think they like since i always fold my own fabric to keep the line moving, i only have had one episode at a sloanns fabrics. a asst. manager argued with me about tulle telling me it was net and not on sale. i had her take it off the ticket, i paid and finished with her, walked over to the cutting area and grabbed the bolt of tulle and deposited it at her register and said to her "see it's tulle". she won't make eye contact with me anymore. oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"no shirt, no shoes, no dice"

My Etsy - http://www.DevilDogCouture.etsy.com
Colorado Deb
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008 04:20:18 PM »

My favorite is from my mother in law and her mother.....  Everything they come to visit they ohh and ahh over the crappiest quilt ever that is on the guest bed.  We bought it at biglots for 20 bucks or less and it came with matching shams, it was the cheapest we could get for that bed size and really wanted something we didn't care if it lasted or not.  Anyway.. it is really this terrible color combos of purple, mauve, green etc in a lone star pattern and you know the bigass stitches you gotta watch out for. 
They just always make such a big deal over how pretty it is, how talented I am and they just think the world of this quilt.  Just makes my heart cringe that this is the one thing they gush over.. not the wall hangings, the couch quilts or anything else artsy I do.  They don't get any more quilts ever, never.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.-  NuClia Waste
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008 04:25:06 PM »

Colorado Deb - too bad you can't buy a couple more and send it too them. You'll be set for life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
2many58
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008 09:55:21 PM »

My daughter and I chose some really bright fabric for baby quilts, one for a boy and the other for a girl.  Our cutter informed us they didn't go together and would be too bright for a baby.  We should use black, white and red unless we were using pastels.  We just shook our heads, and shared a humor filled look.  Obviously the red/orange/yellow flames on green didn't go with the hot pink and purple.  Although I was tempted to get extra and make another to take in and show her, but we were on a limited budget.  I was also tempted to buy extra and prove they could work together for a bright eye popping baby quilt. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me crafting always equals cold coffee.  *L*
Good thing I like it that way. 
2 many crafts started, need finished.
58 needs a few 0's added.  *s*
lab_diva
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008 06:31:53 PM »

As an employee of a fabric store, it disheartens me that these stories are shared. I will admit to asking 'stupid' questions ("You're not using this lime green solid with a soft pink nursery print?") to get them talking, but I recognize and know that I am not making the item and will likely never see it again (If you do choose that particular combination, more power to you).

I love cutting big orders, to the point of calculating how fast I can go on a smaller order to nab them (never forgetting that the small orders deserve my attention just as much as the big ones), especially quilters' orders and true regulars (the ones you know on sight if not by name and will bend rules to within an inch of their breaking point for). As long as they realize that it does take time to cut a lot of fabric, and that I do need direction from them, it's nice to have time to be able to really talk with them about their project, how long the've been sewing, what pattern they're using, who they're making it for, comment on the fabric, etc.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008 06:32:57 PM by lab_diva » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cages or Wings, which do you prefer? Ask the birds. ~ttb, J. Larson
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Renaming the Slices
Extreme Website Makeover - Adding More Slices to the Web Page
Extreme Website Makeover - Exporting from Fireworks into Dreamweaver®
Extreme Website Makeover - Making Slices with the Selection Tool
Extreme Website Makeover - Using the Slice Tool in Adobe Fireworks
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...