A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,558
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant: Your response when people see you quilting and say stupid things to you.  (Read 19412 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amalgam
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2011 11:14:00 AM »

That's an interesting dialogue ashgraykitsune. It's sad that sometimes you have to resort to the death of loved ones(true or not) in order to get people off your back about crafting.

The only time I've gotten a snide remark was back when I was in high school and a boy made some remark about me doing "grandma stuff" because I was crocheting a blanket. I brushed it off. However, if I ever get the question of "You don't have a life do you?" when they see me sew or quilt, I already have an answer ready: "If making things for my family, friends, and hospital children is not having a life, then no I don't." Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
Ezmo11
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2011 10:39:46 AM »

I just finished a hand-done paper pieced hex quilt for my new baby niece.  I actually finished a lot of it on the bus (loooong commute  Wink ), so got a lot of comments.  Actually, I got into some really great conversations with other crafters, but most of them were pretty vexing.

A lot of "GEE that looks SUPER boring to do!" (uuh... thanks?)
"Won't the paper be itchy for the baby?" (paper pieced quilt--the paper doesn't stay in there forever!)
And my favorite: "You know they're never going to USE it, it's WAY too nice for a baby!" (Sad  nooo!  My response to this one was to tell them that I hoped she would puke on it as soon as I gave it to them so my brother/SIL wouldn't be afraid to actually put it on/under her--It's washable!--Puke talk usually quieted them up fast, too.

I  had one super creepy guy offer to check up on my quilt progress every week by taking the same bus as me and yelling at me if I didn't finish enough.   Ah, the joys of public transportation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Totallyblank
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2011 04:58:28 PM »

My favorite was "You're going to cut up all that fabric just so you can sew it all together again?!".

Yep, that's the idea.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashgraykitsune
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2011 07:50:17 PM »

XD Well, in my defense, amalgam, it's something of a running joke in my family to use a familial death to chase off imbeciles. Grandma's used Grandpa, Grandpa used Grandma (and waxed eloquent; that was probably the one thing that looking back now after his passing still makes me roll on the floor with giggles), Dad's used pretty much everyone, my mother makes snide comments about what she did to my aunts...It's not necessarily nice, to be sure, but when your patience finally snaps, it's really a joy to be able to say something that just absolutely floors the room. And knowing that Grandma gets a kick out of it just ups the pleasure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2011 05:55:56 PM »

Well, as long as everyone in your family is fair game, I guess it's alright.Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have an UFO(Unfinished Object) that you want to see get done? Join the Finish My UFO Swap! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433415.0#axzz31MVlWM80

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
mini_mum
Crafting along nicely :)

my lovely boys

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2011 03:59:05 PM »

this is such a cheerful thread - was feeling a bit fed up but not any more Smiley

I've been lucky in that I've not had that many negative comments about any of my crafting, and at lot of positive ones, and the ladies in my local fabric shop are used to people wanting fabric from more than one bolt at a time, but then they stock a lot of quilt fabric.

"You're doing that wrong."

"...."

"Seriously, you're doing that wrong. You're supposed to stitch with a machine."

"............."

"Young lady, I am trying to tal-"

"I LEARNED TO QUILT FROM MY DEAD GRANDMOTHER."

"I'm so sorry..." -walks away-

-Husband: "When did Grandma die, again?"

-Me: "She will when she hears I said that again."

this is def the best story to date! love it - and will be using it if I do get any comments, especially as my G'ma did teach me a lot of my thread craft, and gave me the confidence to learn other skills myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JeanC
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2012 04:18:07 PM »

I used to do hand piecing while riding the bus to work.  The regular guys were always amazed that I never stuck myself - especially when I used the chest area of my shirt to hold pins as I sewed past them.  Grin

These days, when I'm working on a project during my lunch break I get a lot of interest in what I'm working on now.  Days when I bring a book instead I get surprise that I'm not quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2012 12:05:08 PM »

I sure enjoyed reading all of the comments!

I am one of those "older" women who loves seeing the needlework arts being done in fresh new ways by younger and older people...I think younger people bring fearlessness, freshness, and modern technology (I love that I can design with fabrics on my computer, select and buy them!)...older people bring experience, techniques, traditions, stories and hands on learning...

It is all wonderful to me!

I think a lot of people are very surprised that people have skills beyond knowing how to text or watch YouTube videos...I carry knitting and hand stitching with me wherever I go...I enjoy answering questions and "weird" conversations...I do tend to smile and nod a lot...one of the benefits of being older is that you can pretend not to hear and people believe it and leave you alone.. Cheesy

The weirdest question I get from strangers is: can you make me one?  uh...pretty bold request...why don't you just ask me if I would ... well, you know what I mean Wink

More stories, please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
spencerisgod
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2012 08:38:55 PM »

The two I almost always get are  :
"What are knitting?" I hand sew quilt and embroider....I don't know how to knit but I do know it look faaaarrr different from quilting... *facepalm*

and the awkward comment of "I dont have the patience for that" I never know what to say to them because I'm generally not a patient person but I find sewing to be extremely relaxing and it slows me down. So in a way, the sewing makes me patient:)

Oh, and I too have gotten my sewing taken away from me in class. I was sent to the principals office once for sewing in class. Most of my teachers didnt care, but this one did apparently lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2012 02:01:05 PM »

ha, I love this thread! I really want to make something like this so I can take my paper piecing on the go with me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Suncatcher
How to Make a Paper Glider
How to Make a Paper Bag Puppet of Yourself
How to Make Goobeldy Goo
How to Make a Paper Airplane
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...