A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,959
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant: Your response when people see you quilting and say stupid things to you.  (Read 20837 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lesie
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011 07:57:34 PM »

I come from a family of crafters and my husband is an artist (mostly in abstract painting and some drawing).  My husband also does some woodworking so we're quite the pair.  I've not gotten too many snarky comments, more surprised comments.  Apparently crafting of any kind seems to be regulated to grandmothers and great aunts.  The people at my church were always excited to see me at baby showers though because I always took something knitted or handmade.  It got to the point that some expectant mothers were requesting color combination or items that they had seen at other showers. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FromHopeWithLove
If I throw a stick, will you go away?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2011 11:15:44 AM »

I'm young, as in 12-22 years old. I don't get a lot of comments from my aunts because they started to quilt (and sew, crochet, cook, bake) when they were 10.

Dumb Questions/ Comments:

You must have nothing to do with your life, do you?

What's that?

Those colors look terrible together, why don't you get [ points to 10 $20 per fat quarter fabrics]?

Is all this fabric for a dress?

Shouldn't you be texting, not quilting?

and my all time FAVORITE:

Toys R Us is out the doors to the left.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not the brightest crayon in the box, now are we?
kiera-oona
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2011 09:33:40 AM »

Im working on several quilts at the moment.  One is a crazy quilt all out of scraps, the other a hexagon quilt I am doing all by hand. 

All my friends think Im nuts for attempting this...but they appreciate the work Im doing.  I also offer them the opportunity to help me at least baste the fabric onto the cards for the hexie quilt.  I just retort with 'Its going to be warm, and its going to last longer than any storebought you can buy....and I know how to fix it if it gets a hole or a loose seam"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beltanecrazycat

Hello Kitty ROCKS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2011 11:19:34 AM »

I don't get to many snarky or nasty comments. A former DM (district manager) at a store I used to work, bear in mind this was an older gentleman, said that he thought I could fix anything with anything, at the time I was doing an improvised repair to the back strap of a fellow employees bra.
Mostly I get looks of shock that I actually sew, my mother in law asked me a few months ago about something I was sewing at a dinner we have every month for the girl cousins, and one of my cousins who is probably late 50's early 60's looked at me with a shocked look and said you sew? It was hard not to laugh.
Anyway, fortunently the lady at Hobby Lobby isn't to bad when I have to have fabric cut, however it would be nice if she could say more then "How much of this do you need?". The only other real fabric store here has a really great selection, it's been in the same place for 50+ years, and some of the ladies look like they've been there that long. I've been shopping there since I was 15 and the looks I get from the cutters has changed muched in the last 16 years. I know I don't look my age. But I don't need someone the same age as my grandmother giving me looks like I can't possibly know what I'm doing, and the tone to match
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2011 08:44:48 AM »

thankfully I've never had comments buying fabric, and luckily my favorite fabric store doesn't just do fat quarters already cut, I can go in, pick a bolt and they'll help no matter what. most of the staff are sewing or craft enthusiasts AND nearly all around my age (28) or younger!!!
i've made a great friend through that store too!

and I always get asked what I'm makng because I used to go in and buy fat quarters to make t shirts for my baby, then my baby got bigger and needed two FQs for a gypsy shirt etc.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafts4others
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2011 09:39:21 PM »

I have mostly gotten good comments, however I have gotten these;

You don't have anything else to do?
You must not have a life because that is for older folks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2011 02:38:27 AM »

i'm just starting out at the whole quilting thing, i have random fat quarters i bought because they're pretty and i've just found out that i can use fleece for batting (lady at hobby craft told me not to be so bloody stupid, so i left all this things i'd picked up/had cut, fabric, yarn, paper (i was stocking up) on the cutting table and headed for the exit, another employee told me that i "couldn't do that!", "what would they do with the cut fabric?" i told them they could stuff it up their a**es if they were that bothered but i wouldn't be buying anything from them so long as their staff were so ignorant and abusive, she backed down, i left) but with yarn crafts i get treat like a normal person in one yarn shop in town, they're friendly and helpful, mostly knitters so they can't help me much with crochet but they're very interested in what i can tell them about crochet etc. the other yarn shop we have smells bad, the staff are disinterested at best and insulting at worst
and on the men crafting front, one of my friends at uni was bought about 4 kilos of sock yarn for his birthday, such a happy boy he was that day, he also makes pom poms for his girlfriend when her projects need them cause she just can't get her head around them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2011 09:08:21 AM »

Selnith, don't use hobbycraft as a benchmark!! they SUUUUUCK!! I'm assuming you're somewhere in the uk?

if you are, for paper (squared or plain) Staples graph paper is much cheaper. even WH Smith is too.

the hardest comments I've had to bear this week are the blank looks and the "whaaa?" when I ask staff at various shops if they have Isometric Graph Paper in stock, and then "what do you use that for?" and "really? you can make quilts that way? with paper? do you take it out again?" etc.

I know I asked a question on here which was WHEN do I remove the paper, but at least I knew you REMOVE it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2011 05:58:58 AM »

Selnith, don't use hobbycraft as a benchmark!! they SUUUUUCK!! I'm assuming you're somewhere in the uk?

if you are, for paper (squared or plain) Staples graph paper is much cheaper. even WH Smith is too.

Hey Mrs Flibble, yup i'm in the north east and pretty much only have access to sucky suck suckington hobbycraft as a major craft-y type shop
paper i get from my parents, they both work in schools, so sometimes they borrow stuff for me  Smiley

i have worked out though that my machine /might/ be strong enough for light quilting so now i REALLY wanna make a quilt or something
guess i'll have to go rummaging through some remnant bins
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
ashgraykitsune
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2011 04:49:02 PM »

"You're doing that wrong."

"...."

"Seriously, you're doing that wrong. You're supposed to stitch with a machine."

"............."

"Young lady, I am trying to tal-"

"I LEARNED TO QUILT FROM MY DEAD GRANDMOTHER."

"I'm so sorry..." -walks away-

-Husband: "When did Grandma die, again?"

-Me: "She will when she hears I said that again."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Gift Idea: BFF Phone Cases
DIY Gift Idea: Glittery, Customized Candles
DIY Gift Idea: Fun Duct Tape Frame
How to Make Sugar Flower Decorations
How to Make a Polka Dot Scarf
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...