A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant: Your response when people see you quilting and say stupid things to you.  (Read 20438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KittyWampus
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008 01:32:49 PM »

I've actually had some great conversations when quilting in public. I'll take baby blanket tops with me to do some top stitching on the train. And people always crane to see what I'm doing (yes, I admit it, I love it) and usually people start talking about family/friends they have who also sew...I think NY just has too many creative people in it for people to be snarky about crafting.

The problem I run into the most, isn't shock or critisizim, it's usually more along the lines of "Oh, you can do that? You should sell them - can I have one? Can you make/fix this for me?" Yeah, in all my spare freaking time people, for free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aspenwall
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008 09:23:35 AM »

I had a teacher that took my crocheting away from me in class once.  I bet he is dead now. 

LOL!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FicklePegasus

Evil, but in a good way

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008 09:29:10 AM »

Anything to do with traditional skills seems to attract the worst of it. I learned to bake and can jams in my early 20's and then began to learn how to sew. Over the years I've heard comments about my looks, my pretty impressive husband and some of my property (people who have a problem with envy will find an excuse to cut other people over the most ordinary of things) but the meanest comments I've ever gotten is over those traditional crafts; sewing, quilting, canning, and cooking. The more skill required to master the craft, the snarkier the comments.

Wow, thats insane that anyone would think that cooking is taking away from your family time!   Some of my fondest memories growing up are of picking grapes off the fine in the backyard and helping my mom/dad make jelly!  It's a great family activity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/FicklePegasus

My Baby Cuthulu Blanket was featured on http://geekcrafts.com/
LovieDovieAnn
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008 01:49:32 PM »

My Rant:
   For my wedding, I am making each of my bridesmaids a quilt (a log cabin, so not overly tricky).
   So I went to my local joann's and picked out the 35 colors I would need for the project, spent two hours in the store debating shade, etc.  Proceeded to take it up to the counter to be cut, only to be told:
   "You seriously want me to cut, all of this??"
   "You MUST be crazy,  you are making all of these?"
   "Are you SURE you can finish all these quilts by the time you are getting married?" 
   "I hope you picked out a pattern you can handle, quilts take a LOT of time to do"
  No CRAP lady.

Angry
First off, when someone is buying over $150 of material from your store, maybe you should show some encouragement... not disgust at having to work.

Stupid.

P.S.  Three tops done, two to go! Woo!

The sales lady at Hobby Lobby did that to me today. She was sooooooooooo rude. I bought $70 worth of fabric. She could have at least been cordial.

Anyway, on topic...I'm just starting back into quilting after having helped my mom as a kid. So I really haven't had any strange comments about it. But knitting and crocheting are a different story.

My standard response is along the lines of "I'm not young. I just have good face cream." or "I'm a millionaire and retired early."

Most times people's reaction is happiness, though. Little old ladies just love to see an art that they thought was dying finding new life in today's younger generations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008 10:41:18 AM »

This thread has been useful to me because I've had none of these experiences Shocked  My friends and the people I've surrounded myself with think that crafting, quilting, etc. is awesome.  I have a few friends who are a bit passive about it, but nobody has ever said anything mean Shocked

I had a fantastic quilt store in NYC that knew me by name and they didn't care at all when I cut 40 bolts of quarter yardage!  We loved to talk about projects, etc.

And as for the NYC subways, I crocheting while I was riding around and I got so many interested looks and nice smiles.  At least a dozen times people commented -- often elderly women but young ones too. The best ever though was when this black teenager dressed in a sports team jacket, super sagging pants, and a giant ball cap started asking me questions.  At first I was defensive because I thought that he was teasing me then I realized he was genuinely interested.  He must have had a sister or mother that crocheted because he called it crochet (a lot of subway riders called it knitting) and he asked really pointed questions.  He smiled so nicely and said it was beautiful.  That made my week.... ;P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2008 11:39:44 AM »

I was thinking about this the other day. And I know there are some people who think things like basket weaving are an inane waste of time. But I know the history and our, long ago, ancestors depending on the crafts for survival. Warm clothes. Containers for food. Then they evolved to having some time and evening light to be artistic with their creations. Then we evolved to where we can go to a $1 store to buy similar items that some slave in China created.
But that doesn't make our creations any less valuable. We are creating and in a way honoring our ancestors by doing so.
I also remembered that some of these odd comments come from people who have never been graced with someone like us in their lives. They don't know how to slow down and appreciate the seemingly small and simple things in life. And horror of horrors there some people who are just not creative at all, that part of their brain is undeveloped or missing.
 Smiley  for us.
Sad   for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008 11:41:59 AM »

I think the "waste of time" line is particularly ridiculous.  There are so many people who spend hours a day watching tv or playing computer games or whatever.  Besides, it's your time and you should use it however you want ... even if that means weaving baskets you could buy or whatever. If it makes you happy, all others should STFU.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
anwylaeth
Lady of the Lens

Gradatim ferociter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008 12:15:34 PM »

Actually, I often craft and stitch while simultaneously doing tons of other things - "watching" TV, talking with hubby, talking with kids, listening to audiobooks, waiting in line, sitting in the car waiting to pick up kids...how could that possibly be a waste of time?  Also, the sort of Zen-like calm I get from repetitive crafty tasks actually makes me more patient as I talk to and/or instruct my kids.  They find me more approachable, not less, when I'm crafting.  I'm sure it's the same for you all - and it might even be worth pointing out to people who make unwanted comments.

Still, my all-time favorite response to those who make obviously rude comments, especially salespeople, is to smile sympathetically and say gently, "Are you having a tough day, hon?" Grin  Only once did this actually pass right over the head of the clerk and when she said "Why do you ask?" I told her I could tell, because sometimes I get grumpy too, when I'm having a crappy day.  That shuts 'em up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Al tefachdu lomar et ha'emet shelachem
Don't be afraid to tell your truth.

Have we got some internal sequin issues, Benjamin?
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2008 07:54:26 AM »

I attend Tafe on a Friday, and make a point of traveling buy train since it goes right there, but the things I have done and carried on the train get some odd looks. I have done crochet and sewing, but also carried welded metal "baskets", ceramic skulls, and paintings.
 Most of the people are really nice and interested, and like to know what Im doing.
The only comment that has ever stuck with me, is that a lady at work asked how I ever get any housework done?
Two thoughts come to mind.
I stil do housework, as someone posted previously, watching tv or waiting anywhere offers a perfect chance to craft, I run off in the adverts to sew, someone is always calling..."its back on!"
and secondly, would you rather be remembered for the beautiful things you made and your happiness or being a slave to a house anyway?
just my two cents worth
regards S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008 01:41:30 PM »

Most of the people are really nice and interested, and like to know what Im doing.
The only comment that has ever stuck with me, is that a lady at work asked how I ever get any housework done?

When I'm asked how I have time to do the things I do (crafting and cooking) I always  say I don't clean.  I am sooo fortunate to have a husband who does things around the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Choosing Fish for Sushi
Choosing the Right Sushi Restaurant
The Heart and Soul of Korea in a Jar: Arirang Kimchi
Miso Salmon With Sweet Pea Sauce Recipe
Authentic Goan Prawn Curry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...