A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,577
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant: Your response when people see you quilting and say stupid things to you.  (Read 22129 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008 06:51:51 PM »

i am lucky, no one has ever tried to tell me whatmy fabrics should do, but i do LOVE be asked what i am doing..i know that just bouncing an idea around can inspire awesome results, so why not put out some positive inspiration energy

the weirdest questions i get:

what do you use all the Disney fabric for?

do you sell your things (without even seeing them , they ask..and i dont sell anything currently, so i just think its weird to ask)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Rose1234
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008 06:07:55 AM »

I've heard a couple of snarky comments lately about my quilting but the women who made them have issues so I was able to let it go, lol.

But I did have one comment that cut me to the quick when I heard it. It was a comment about having nothing better to with my time. It sounds stupid but it made me feel awful. And the worst thing about it is that I wasn't expecting it. I had only been quilting for about a year when it happened and since then I've learned that if you have a talent or skill, it sets you up for petty comments. (I had one woman tell me that if I had time to make quilts, then I must be neglecting my other responsibilities at home. OH! I even had someone tell me that sewing was a selfish thing to do because it took time away from the family. Can you believe it?) Anything to do with traditional skills seems to attract the worst of it. I learned to bake and can jams in my early 20's and then began to learn how to sew. Over the years I've heard comments about my looks, my pretty impressive husband and some of my property (people who have a problem with envy will find an excuse to cut other people over the most ordinary of things) but the meanest comments I've ever gotten is over those traditional crafts; sewing, quilting, canning, and cooking. The more skill required to master the craft, the snarkier the comments.

Want to get some real blood drawing comments? Sew an outfit that looks good on you. You'll get compliments but you'll also get the knife in the back. It's a good way to find out who to avoid and who be friends with.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008 10:01:28 AM by Rose1234 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilFiney

Wishing for Summer.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008 07:03:06 AM »

Rose! You in the perfect area!! This is the place to be where you will find people who are JEALOUS of your skills, but very HAPPY that you can do them!!  :-)  I myself would love to be able to can jams, and plan on learning how to do so. 

And don't worry about those petty comments of spending to much time at the sewing machine.  Their idea of family time is probably sitting around and watching TV together and saying nothing at all..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avoiding homework one stitch at a time....
Rose1234
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008 10:00:38 AM »

And don't worry about those petty comments of spending to much time at the sewing machine.  Their idea of family time is probably sitting around and watching TV together and saying nothing at all..

Ha! You're right, that's the stuff that probably does pass for family time.

Canning jams is the easiest kind of canning there is. Once you can your first batch and taste how fresh and fruity the jam is, you'll find yourself doing it every year. I used a book but I recommend using youtube.com as a resource as well. Nothing beats actually SEEING it done.

Good luck! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aspenwall
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008 10:25:56 AM »

I don't like going to the fabric store Sad

There's mean people waiting in line with you using their bolts as weapons, designating their own personal space and my FAVORITE (insert sarcasm indicator here) people having loud conversations with each other.  YOU KNOW the ones, they talk loud enough to each other for everyone to hear. 
Some places are worse than others, I love quilt shops because the level of obnoxious customers is usually significantly lower but that's where I get allllll of my unwanted criticism. 
"Size 10 Needles? What are you going to do with those?? Not sew a quilt!"
One I was in a quilt store with my Grandma, she doesn't quilt but wanted some quality gingham to make a dress, so we went out toa place and the woman at the store told her she wasnt supposed to use quilting fabric for clothes and that it wouldnt work.  Tell my grandma something won't work, go ahead, just try.

There is one in every group...whether it's a customer or cutter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008 06:48:43 PM »

Well, that's one of the few advantages of hearing loss... Not being able to understand what ppl are saying when they intend to insult you or rile you. For me they usually have to repeat it once or twice... Sometimes I still can't understand what they are saying. Then they are treat me as if I "retarded" even tho the problem is with my hearing loss they need to enunciate properly. I have trouble understanding what ppl are saying when I am looking at them and they are looking at me.
Well, if it's quality fabric why not make clothes out of it? That's ignorant.
If I need needles, etc. I ask any store that sells needles just in case I can save my self a trip to another store.

"There is one in every group...whether it's a customer or cutter." - That's true for doctors, auto mechanics, etc, etc,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
meeshbaze
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008 01:26:51 PM »

The one I usually get (sounds like some of you get it, too) is:

"YOU are a quilter?!?"  with eyeballs rolling in mock surprise.

Insinuation:  Isn't quilting for old ladies?  You like modern arts...why are you quilting?  What a huge waste of time...can't you buy one?

I patiently explain that not all quilting is traditional and can actually be extremely expressive and artistic.  Ever heard of Gee's Bend???

BTW, I get a similar reaction when they find out I knit or make jam at the holidays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"carry on!  make it work!"
meeshbaze
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008 07:18:46 AM »

Oh!  How could I forget the comment that really makes me bristle:

"Aren't YOU the little Martha Stewart!"

You better hope I don't have something sharp nearby...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"carry on!  make it work!"
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008 07:22:09 AM »

Oh!  How could I forget the comment that really makes me bristle:

"Aren't YOU the little Martha Stewart!"

You better hope I don't have something sharp nearby...

oh i get that one all the time!! I hate it! just because i like to quilt and scrapbook! GRRR
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008 04:20:47 PM »

People made fun of me in high school for crocheting.  I think I will have to make my outfit for the 20th high school reunion.  Or maybe the jacket or something.

I had a teacher that took my crocheting away from me in class once.  I bet he is dead now. 

Do any of you wear any of your projects?

What comments do you get?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hungry History: Hand Made Chocolate
How to Make Old Fashioned Cake Donuts
Christmas Fruitcake Recipe
Fresh Peach Buckle Recipe
How to Make Individual Chocolate Tarts - Gordon Ramsay
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...