A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rant: Your response when people see you quilting and say stupid things to you.  (Read 19902 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 19, 2008 07:40:03 AM »

Ack!  Someone I work with came over to me yesterday as I was quilting on a sample project. I flipped it over to check a stitch on the back (it is a multi color project with the quilting almost matching on the front that contrasts with the light colored backing).  The coworker said, "Aren't you going to put something on the back of that to cover all that up?"  Now, this is a person who is crafty in her own right and brags about the quilts she has.  ("Obviously, she must not have any" is my own opinion.) I told her that would make no sense.  The purpose of quilting was to hold all the layers together and make a beautiful pattern to look upon. She then followed with more stupid statements to me that I couldn't figure out.  (This person has seen me quilting for years.)  Instead of reaching up and choking the crap out of her for being a moron, I plotted to discuss it with y'all first.

My questions are: 

What are the weirdest/stupidest/craziest things that have been said to you when seeing your project?

How did you respond? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008 07:53:53 AM »

my all. time. favourite, which i hear often, is "aren't you a little young for that."

*facepalm*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008 09:49:33 PM »

Now I'm feeling insulted.  I have NEVER been asked that. And I am only THIRTY-SIX!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008 06:40:42 AM »

"wow, I never would have pictured YOU as the sewing kind"

"why would you make something like that, you can pick one up at ~insert big box store of choice~ for like 20 bucks"

who says scrappy patchwork and punk rock and beer don't mix.

bah.

( these are usually said by people who complain about being bored all the time and don't have any hobbies)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008 06:48:24 AM »

I've been giving handmade items at baby showers for years in our church and most everyone knows that by now but EVERY shower I go to and bring a quilt (or a crochet afghan), someone will look at me and say 'Did you make this?' and the thing that really makes me laugh is that it's usually people who I've known for years or who ask me the same question each time - don't they get it yet??!!

Occasionally, I've had short notice of a shower and wasn't able to get anything made and I buy clothing instead and a few people will pull me aside during the shower to question why I didn't make a blanket  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008 06:50:00 AM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008 06:52:40 AM »

Now I'm feeling insulted.  I have NEVER been asked that. And I am only THIRTY-SIX!

Well, I've been quilting since I was about ten, but the question really started popping up when I went to university in my early twenties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Prickly Venus
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008 09:55:08 AM »

I just like to say "bless yer little heart" in my outdoor vioce..........
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008 12:15:15 AM »

It's very weird that someone who claims to have experience with quilting is unfamiliar with the basics. Certainly this would make sense if it were something they had never done, but the bragging certainly becomes suspect when they don't know the proverbial first thing about it.

Usually I find that people are just curious about what you are doing, and they'll ask weird questions simply because they aren't familiar enough with the work to know what are the stupid questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilFiney

Wishing for Summer.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008 06:26:59 AM »

My Rant:
   For my wedding, I am making each of my bridesmaids a quilt (a log cabin, so not overly tricky).
   So I went to my local joann's and picked out the 35 colors I would need for the project, spent two hours in the store debating shade, etc.  Proceeded to take it up to the counter to be cut, only to be told:
   "You seriously want me to cut, all of this??"
   "You MUST be crazy,  you are making all of these?"
   "Are you SURE you can finish all these quilts by the time you are getting married?" 
   "I hope you picked out a pattern you can handle, quilts take a LOT of time to do"
  No CRAP lady.

Angry
First off, when someone is buying over $150 of material from your store, maybe you should show some encouragement... not disgust at having to work.

Stupid.

P.S.  Three tops done, two to go! Woo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avoiding homework one stitch at a time....
Prickly Venus
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008 09:25:24 AM »

you know, I am so tired of those idiot fabric cutter folks, I have taken to reporting them. There are some at my local store who are awesome, and some act like they are doing you a huge favor by waiting on you, but that is a whole other rant! But when they say things that are just way out of line, they need to be corrected and trained in proper customer service.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
AXE HAIR Spring Styles
Highlight Your Hair Without Any Damage
Hair Takes Spotlight in Anti-Aging Boom
4 Best Ways to Use Hairspray
How to Combat Thinning Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...