A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rowan Kidsilk Haze  (Read 825 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Midorian
« on: May 19, 2008 05:44:42 AM »

I'm thinking of using Rowan Kidsilk Haze for a lace shawl (the Luna Moth shawl from elann) but some reviews I've read say that it's really hard to work with. Considering how expensive it is I wouldn't like to go and buy a bunch of skeins and then realize I won't be able to work with it - I'm relatively new to lace knitting and haven't really worked with this type of yarn before. But the shawl will a wedding gift for my sister, and I really want the best I can get. I'm working the pattern in an aran weight right now, so I know I can handle the pattern itself.

So my question is whether this yarn really is as hard to work with as it seems? I would be thankful for some advice from more experienced lace knitters..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnittinHoney
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008 06:48:09 AM »

I don't think that the yarn is hard to work with so much as it is rather a pain if you have to rip out mistakes.  It really clings to itself and can have a tendancy to get fuzzy if you have to rip out too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bespectacled
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008 03:29:42 PM »

I just used up some Kidsilk Haze to make the Ice Queen from Knitty. I thought it was lovely to work with, deifnitely not as slippery as a lot of lace-weight yarns can be.
When I first started the pattern, I got about two inches in and had to rip it out. I let it sit for a couple days out of utter fear from what I had heard...
Upon getting the courage to frog, I found it was actually really easy to rip out. I had absolutely no trouble at all, so I was ecstatic. I did hear though a rumor somewhere that if you have trouble ripping it, to put the project in the freezer for a while, then rip it out. No idea how or why it works, and I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard of it.
Good luck with the shawl, I'm sure your sister will adore it! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
taurangrrl
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008 07:23:45 PM »

I made a shawl out of this for a friend for her wedding, and I didn't find it that tricky to frog... except for when I attempted to rip out the cast on stitches.  That was the only part that wouldn't budge, but I had a couple of times that I needed to frog back to a life line, and was able to do so with little trouble.

While I had to be more delicate than if it was acrylic or something it was no more difficult then other lace-weight yarns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennJenn

I have my hands full...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008 11:09:16 PM »

Why not buy one skein, do some swatching, and see what you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
Lotte
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008 10:44:49 AM »

I agree with buying 1 skein and trying it out.

Personally I HATE kidsilk haze with a passion - I have several skeins of it that I bought for a project, and just doing 2 rows made me want to poke my eyes out.  It is now stuffed in a cupboard, I hated it that much, and eventually I will probably rip it out and sell the yarn on because there is no way I will knit with it again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahxknits
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008 06:26:32 PM »

I used it and I think it is not worth the price. I am sure you could find a similar yarn that is the same quality and looks the same
THIS ROCKS   Logged
L-train
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008 12:48:43 PM »

I am currently working on a shawl using kidsilk haze and don't find it difficult to work with. I'm liking the results so far too. You could buy one skein as JennJenn suggested and test it out first to see what you think. If you don't want to spend the money on a skein just for swatching, you could make a small project like Branching Out, a scarf from knitty.com that takes one skein of kidsilk haze, as a way of testing whether you'd like to make a bigger project with it.

I've heard that's it's difficult to unravel, but I've never had to do so (i tend to compensate for my mistakes by increasing or decreasing until I have the correct number of stitches, instead of ripping it out and doing it over!). I've also heard that the freezer trick works well if you're trying to unravel and the yarn sticks to itself.

I suggest not using wooden needles with kidsilk haze as it tends to stick to the needles anyway and not slide along nicely. Using wooden needles exacerbates the problem. It sticks a bit to my aluminum needles, but it's no more than a minor inconvenience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennJenn

I have my hands full...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008 06:06:55 PM »

If you don't like the Kidsilk, my LYS made a gorgeous Modern Quilt Wrap from Stacey Charles Ritratto.  It works up similarly to the Kidsilk with a subtle metallic sheen and a bit less fuzz. I think it would be great in a Luna shawl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
Midorian
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008 02:04:16 PM »

Thank you all for your input. I'm now leaning towards maybe using Kidsilk night, as my sister happened to mention that she would love a slight bit of sparkle in the shawl. Though I'm sure there is a large number of similar yarns out there, my selection is limited to what I can actually get my hands on, and from that selection Kidsilk night really seems like the nicest one. But I was planning to swatch it anyway, so if I don't like the feel of it then, I might reconsider.

Thank you all for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Edit Videos With Goggle Picasa3
Peachpit TV: Using the Displacement Filter in Photoshop
Photoshop Glamor Shot Tutorial
How to Import Photoshop Files in Microsoft Expression Web
Picasa 3: A Photo and Video Editing Freeware
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...