A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gauging - help  (Read 948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tinytallgirl
« on: February 03, 2005 11:54:59 AM »

Hi everyone

I've knitted scarves and the hot head hat without gauging.  I have both SNB & SNB Nation...but I'm still at a loss with gauging.

It just seems like every pattern calls for 4 sts within 1 inch.  I know I'm missing something here....any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Cheers
Tiny
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005 12:02:35 PM »

I am no expert at gauging and dealing with my own issues right now but let me see if I can help with the little that I know.  You get your gauge by knitting a swatch 4"x"4 then use your gauge measure to count the stitches in 2" and the rows in 2'.  Then you double that to see if it matches the gauge given by the pattern.  For example, if the pattern says 24 st & 28 rows and your measurement gives you 10 st in the 2" measurement and 13 rows then you know that you are off.........so you have to look at changing needle size.  This is where my knitting universe implodes upon itself! 

But check the gauge of the patten...........perhaps yopu are looking at similar patterns and so the gauges are similar but as you look at more patters you will see variance.  Try comparing the Accidentally on Purpose Vest gauge to one of the ponchos.  Different yarns, different needle sizes........there should be real difference.   

I hope my limited knowledge was helpful.  And if I got anything wrong.......someone please correct me.  I could use the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiewill

My beautiful baby girl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005 04:58:18 PM »

My understanding is that the gauge listed in the pattern is always listed with the number of inches the sts and rows should st up to. For example, your example pattern would read: 24 st & 28 rows = 4", which means a 4" x 4" square. So your gauge for this pattern is 24/4 or 6 sts per inch.
As far as getting gauge, I'm not good at that part either. I can calculate it, but I'm not too good at making my sts equal the correct gauge. My experience is that you just have to experiment. The easiest way for me to understand gauge when I started out was when I tried to use a Lion Brand chenille on #6 needles to make a scarf. My gauge was WAY too tight for my yarn. Now using the same Lion Brand chenille on #10.5 needles made a very sweet scarf!
So Tiny, go to your LYS and pick up a skein of super cheap bulky-as-hell yarn (like a chenille) and a pair of #11s or something. Also while you're there, pick up a superfine, baby weight yarn and a pair of #3s or 4s. Knit up a swatch in each to check out the difference. Then, when you read patterns you will have a better idea of what your project will look like based on the gauge!
Hope this helps,
katie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips For Plump Lips and Air Dried Hair
Nicki Minaj Releases Minajesty Perfume Ad
How to Keep Your Summer Glow
Next on HardWired: Digital Dressing Room
How to Make Your Own Matte Nail Polish
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...