A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,196
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fantasy Rag Quilt w/bleach stencil blocks  (Read 4689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TracyInNH

Nectar of the gods...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008 12:21:56 PM »

Love the bleach pen idea... I'm hooked on making denim quilts, but didn't want to get into spraying bleach on it all!  Gettin a gel pen later today, but do you just wash it after you get the white color you want?  Hand wash?  I'm kinda clueless - I could just picture me doing all that and have it bleed everywhere when I wash it lol.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
Kimby.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008 09:28:59 PM »

Love the bleach pen idea... I'm hooked on making denim quilts, but didn't want to get into spraying bleach on it all!  Gettin a gel pen later today, but do you just wash it after you get the white color you want?  Hand wash?  I'm kinda clueless - I could just picture me doing all that and have it bleed everywhere when I wash it lol.

You have to either rinse or wash the bleach out of the individual blocks when you get the fade you are happiest with. Otherwise the bleach will eat into the fabric and create holes.

Because I was working with individual squares of fabric, I rinsed each block really well in cold water and hand washed them with dish detergent in the kitchen sink. Then I hung each to dry outside. You could also use your clothes dryer, but because I was making a rag quilt, I didn't want to beat on the denim any more than I had to before I sewed everything together. If you'll be using bigger squares, you could wash the denim in your washing machine, no problem. You'll just have lots of fraying to trim off.

Experiment with scraps of your denim to determine how long to keep the bleach on. I found that thicker repurposed denim bleached with crisper edges and the thin denim turned a bit fuzzy and bled. I found leaving the bleach gel on for 30 minutes did the trick for me.

And a tip ... if you're going to hand wash like I did, use a good pair of rubber gloves because the bleach will just eat into your skin. I figured this out after, oh, I don't know, 20 blocks or so.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." -Confucius
Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008 04:43:04 PM »

OMG I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008 07:16:41 PM »

fantastic use of bleach on a quilt...I really love it!

*this rocks*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewhooked - quilt patterns, crochet & crafts
Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008 11:48:14 AM »

Wow ! Thanks for the bleaching tips. I made a T-shirt once with the gel pens and it was fun. Not as lovely as your quilt tho.
Beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
ladyk
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009 09:31:21 PM »

Wow this is really good, I cut and save random squares from old t-shirts and things with the intention to make my own quilt out of them one day but I'm not really familiar with quilting or any sort of advanced sewing techniques, mainly just what I learned from home ec! It would be cool to see a tutorial for a piece like this, but also I saw your bleach stencil and it intrigued me because I never thought of using that before! I'm not sure if you already said it but what did you use as your stencil, Freezer paper? Also i was thinking you may find a happy medium between the gel and the liquid and sort of create a mixture of equal parts and use sponge brushes to control the bleeding. I dunno, just seems like it would work, although it would bleach the brush of course but no biggie. anyway nice work! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

infiltrate.destroy.rebuild
RockDragon
Slayer of Dragons with Rocking Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009 04:31:14 PM »

Gorgeous all together, and the stenciled blocks are great!  The designs are really crisp and simple enough that they're easy to see, but not overly simplistic.  Awesome job!!  *adds cool denim bleach stencil idea to the list of things to do*   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seechelle417
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009 09:49:36 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create New Sequences Quickly in Premiere Pro CS5
What Not to Do During an Acting Audition
Good Advice for Young Directors
How to Approach a Monologue in Acting
How to Cast Actors for a Play
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...