A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Things I have learned about sewing (feel free to add...)  (Read 33227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashling
« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2009 05:04:19 AM »

I don't do alterations or repairs. period. Not even for my husband.

That seems a little harsh.  I'd rather fix my husband's stuff myself than pay someone else to.

If someone asks me to make something for them. I ask for half up front, non-refundable (For fabric purchase): $15.00/hour guesstimate double what you think it will take. No guarantees, if you don't like the end result, you still don't get your deposit back. ... oh, you don't want me to make one for you?  Well then, the pattern I used was ____ #___. Give it a try yourself.

I've had success just telling people "Okay, you buy the materials, and bring them to me when your ready."  So far I've only had my MIL follow through with that, and she always pays me well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
okamiwolf
« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2009 11:00:54 PM »

- Never, ever, EVER sew to amuse yourself while your rats are free-roaming on the bed. They are very curious about what you are doing and can chew through concrete. Your sewing stuff doesn't stand a chance. Also, they like shiny things.

- Always dig through your stash before going to the fabric store and spending money on a fabric you already have.

- Change needles after every project. My roommate was wondering why her sewing machine wasn't working properly, and then was surprised to discover that the needles can be taken out and are not permanently attached to the machine.  Roll Eyes

- Some cats think that threads with sharp bits of metal on the end are the best chew toys ever.

- Before you haul your sewing machine off to be repaired, make sure that the reason it isn't sewing is an actual problem, and not that you left it in bobbin threading mode.

- No matter how proud you are of your first sewing machine, a $90 machine will probably not stand up to three layers of heavyweight denim.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009 11:02:31 PM by okamiwolf » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2009 01:13:09 PM »

That seems a little harsh.  I'd rather fix my husband's stuff myself than pay someone else to.

If someone asks me to make something for them. I ask for half up front, non-refundable (For fabric purchase): $15.00/hour guesstimate double what you think it will take. No guarantees, if you don't like the end result, you still don't get your deposit back. ... oh, you don't want me to make one for you?  Well then, the pattern I used was ____ #___. Give it a try yourself.

I've had success just telling people "Okay, you buy the materials, and bring them to me when your ready."  So far I've only had my MIL follow through with that, and she always pays me well.

I don't do alterations or repairs for my husband because he's a welder: You ever tried fixing a burn-hole in a pair of coveralls? Or tried to put on reflective tape on the back of a pair of coveralls? "Pain in the butt" doesn't begin to cover it! (It's chaper and quicker and easier to just buy a new pair of coveralls.)
Once people hit a fabric store and see the prices, sometimes they come back; other times they just complain that fabric shops charge too much...and sew do sew-ers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Ashling
« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2009 09:49:20 PM »

I don't do alterations or repairs for my husband because he's a welder: You ever tried fixing a burn-hole in a pair of coveralls? Or tried to put on reflective tape on the back of a pair of coveralls? "Pain in the butt" doesn't begin to cover it! (It's cheaper and quicker and easier to just buy a new pair of coveralls.

I understand not wanting to to really difficult and complicated repairs.  I don't do many of those either, not even for myself.  Your first post made it sound like you wouldn't do any sort of repairs/alterations at all, even simple 30 second jobs.  I think I understand better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainbowmeow
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2009 08:47:08 AM »

My 2 cents on alterations:  Get them done in a timely matter.  I am such a procrastinator.  I have had two pairs of pants waiting to be hemmed for my cousin.  I feel so bad that I didn't get to them, and now I don't even want to touch them.  I'm getting paid too.  Embarrassed 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2009 12:50:03 PM »

1. on patterns, always mark all those stupid annoying "big" dots "small" dots, etc...ESPECIALLY on sleeves....front and back notches are great ideas too!

2. get a Dritz hem tool...can't live without mine..it will burn your fingers, but it rocks hard.

3. those pretty stitch patterns on your machine in bright colors look really cute on a tshirt to put a custom touch on the sleeves or around the neckline

4. love double fold bias tape for necklines and armholes

5. wear your littlest pair of scissors around your neck..they dont get away easy chained to your neck...snip snip snip

6. keep tweezers right next to your machine..i use them to tuck in ends and to pick out seam rips that are stuck in the fabric

7. splurge on the strap turner thingie...if you are making spaghetti straps or a tie/belt those are srsly like the BEST tool you ever had...no safety pin routine....

i like this thread and learned alot whilst being entertained!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kstaron
« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2009 06:37:48 PM »

Love this thread, here's my two cents:

The machine will act up 2 weeks before any major event or holiday.

Rubber shelf liners make sure the machine cant walk away on you. (also a decent place for pins when I can't find my Voldermort pin cusion. He hides on occasion)

Always keep sewing scissors separate from all other scissors or they will get used for gift wrap and construction paper.

The moment you give away/sell/pack away part of your stash is the moment you find the perfect thing to sew with it.

The cat will only want to get petted when you're sewing at full speed trying to get it done for tomorrow.  When you push her away she will retaliate by trying to chew your pins.  Roll Eyes

Sewing when tired leads to sewing while frustrated which leads to bad bad things. (injuries or other craft disasters)

If you're not sure it will work try it anyway (on the cheap stuff first) part of being able to do it yourself is experimenting.  It may not turned out exactly like you wanted but it's an experience for next time either way. 

Some people work better with patterns, some people work better winging it. If you work better winging it check out the book "patternless fashions" basically teaches you how to draft your own designs.  It's out dated but the basic techniques can take you far. 

Sometimes finger pressing is enough...sometimes it's not.

PREWASH! especially when sewing two different fabrics together.

Use generous seams and double stitch with anything that frays bad.

I'm sure I have more rattling in brain somewhere, but that's what I've got for now.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #197 on: October 05, 2009 06:35:13 AM »

If you're having a bad day (scorching everything you cook, for example), it's a bad idea to try to sew.  You WILL end up redoing a seam.  Or just ripping it out and re-doing it tomorrow (my lesson from Saturday. When I started burning stuff Sunday morning, we decided to go out to dinner).  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2009 01:33:03 PM »

I don't do alterations or repairs for my husband because he's a welder: You ever tried fixing a burn-hole in a pair of coveralls? O

Once. I told him it was easier and cheaper to buy new ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 19, 2009 10:56:26 PM »

Yeah. It is. It's also quicker and cheaper to buy them with the reflection tape already attached. Hubby wanted me to attach some once. I set up the machine and showed him how to pin and sew it. Then, left him to it. A while later it was attached. But, for some reason, he's never bought them without the Reflection tape not added... Wonder why?   Cheesy

It sounds harsh to say that I don't do alterations or repairs: I admit it.  But, I don't.  I enjoy making new stuff. I don't enjoy repairing or altering. Plus, people don't appreciate alterations or repairs as much as new stuff. (Yes, I'm often in it for the praise ...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
NYFW Fall 2014 Backstage Beauty
Ken Paves’ Triplet Makeover
Jessica Alba Named New Face of Braun
How to Fade Dark Spots and Acne Scars
Flawless Foundation Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...