A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,601
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Things I have learned about sewing (feel free to add...)  (Read 32799 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2008 02:38:39 PM »

for me anyway when I have a great idea on how to work out that one area I was having trouble with... that is the one time I have no time to try it. then I forget the idea!

if sewing with white fabric be sure you wipe down the machine in all areas. the fabric WILL fine any grease/ oil  dust balls whatevers that are near.

patience is the key to all things with a  machine!  they are tempramental
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2008 10:09:11 AM »

if sewing with white fabric be sure you wipe down the machine in all areas. the fabric WILL find any grease/ oil  dust balls whatevers that are near.

corollary to that.. if you don't care if your piece gets stained the stain will wash out.  If you Want the piece stained Nothing will stick (rolling in the grass with your twin nephews and thiner new puppy leaves you with a few smudges that wash out without help) and if you Don't want it stained walking within ten feet of something will stain it (i.e. walking across the lawn will leave green marks on the elbows of your new white shirt and you didn't trip and fall or get your sleeves Near the grass)

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2008 12:20:17 PM »

if sewing with white fabric be sure you wipe down the machine in all areas. the fabric WILL find any grease/ oil  dust balls whatevers that are near.

corollary to that.. if you don't care if your piece gets stained the stain will wash out.  If you Want the piece stained Nothing will stick (rolling in the grass with your twin nephews and thiner new puppy leaves you with a few smudges that wash out without help) and if you Don't want it stained walking within ten feet of something will stain it (i.e. walking across the lawn will leave green marks on the elbows of your new white shirt and you didn't trip and fall or get your sleeves Near the grass)

Mieka
Isn't that newtons law of fabrics?

Kind of goes along with, if you are wearing a sweater/making a sweater the dog/cat will snag it no matter how careful you are. lol
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008 12:21:10 PM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2008 02:03:24 PM »

so true!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
sewnutzz
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2008 08:25:17 AM »

2. Use a bobbin that is almost empty and check it every time you are about to start a new seam.  This will ensure that it never ever runs out.  (It is also laughing at you.)

3. If you don't bother to check your bobbin, it will run out midway through a seam regardless of how full it was when you started.  (It is laughing at you too.)

Tip:  Use a Sharpie marker to mark the beginning of the thread as you wind your bobbin.  As you start to wind, hold the marker next to the thread and mark a several inches.  Finish winding your bobbin.  When you are sewing, you will know you are near the end of the bobbin thread when it changes color. 

SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chaoticcreations
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2008 09:11:07 PM »

2. Use a bobbin that is almost empty and check it every time you are about to start a new seam.  This will ensure that it never ever runs out.  (It is also laughing at you.)

3. If you don't bother to check your bobbin, it will run out midway through a seam regardless of how full it was when you started.  (It is laughing at you too.)

Tip:  Use a Sharpie marker to mark the beginning of the thread as you wind your bobbin.  As you start to wind, hold the marker next to the thread and mark a several inches.  Finish winding your bobbin.  When you are sewing, you will know you are near the end of the bobbin thread when it changes color. 

SewNutzz

I LOVE this idea.  I hate sewing and then realize my bobbin has run out...after I got to the end of a very long seam.   Cry  I'll have to try this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2008 06:59:44 AM »

My only real problem with this idea is that I don't watch my bobbin thread carefully enough for it to be helpful.  My bobbin thread inevitably runs out on a seam that's a couple feet long(so a couple of inches of Sharpie-ed thread isn't likely to be noticed), though usually I notice (after a few inches) that the top thread is loose behind the presser foot, a sure sign that either the bobbin thread broke, or it's gone.  It has to be a dense or piled fabric for me not to notice a few inches afterwards (fleece, velvet, some corduroy).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2008 03:19:22 PM »

Don't get me wrong I will donate my services, I once made 30 skirts for my daughters choir, but I made the other Moms cut everything out and press things ( the suck jobs hehe ). The worst experience was making cheerleader outfits for my daughters pop warner squad I almost got into a fight with a mom about the cost of materials and how short the skirts would be ( cover the spanky pants is  my motto ).

Grrr, it makes me sick to think people don't want to give tons of coverage on their daughters private areas.

I have watched some cheerleaders constantly tugging down the itty-bitty things called skirts. None really seem to like doing it either.

Sorry to hijack the thread here.

Never cut your material if your mind is on something else.

Always buy at least an extra 1/2 yard every time you can. Scraps can always be used and no matter what, you always need just a few inches more than you thought you would.

Ironing before cutting helps to keep your finished piece look better. Sure as shootin' if you don't, your material will be wrinkled when you cut and it will not be noticed until after you have taken it apart three times.

Wash and iron your material as soon as you can when you bring it home. Even if you don't plan on using it for months, when inspiration strikes, you usually just can't wait to begin working.

Be honest with yourself as to whether you will really make that exquisite, but complicated, outfit.

Rulers are you best friend and should be used for everything before cutting when not using a pattern. Measure twice, cut once, as wood workers say.  Wink

Buy decent thread! You will hate yourself and your project if your thread keeps snapping.

Make certain that if your material has a pattern and you are cutting two pieces on a fold, that both pieces will have the pattern facing the way you want it to.

As said everywhere else, trust yourself.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008 03:12:28 PM by rottenlittleboys » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherry Bomb!
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb!

I didn't do it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2008 11:56:14 PM »

This topic is fantastic Smiley I totally know about the bobbin running out of thread 6 inches before the end of the last seam!

1. At the start of the project, wind 1 bobbin for every yard of fabric used. This almost always guarantees that you will not have to stop in the middle and unthread the machine to wind a new bobbin.

2. When you simply don't have enough floor/ table space for tracing a pattern (I trace rather than cut out so I can reuse the pattern as many times as I want for different sized people), pin it to a wall with the tracing paper over it. Makes it twice as easy if it is a while or light colored wall, because it highlights the dark lines on the pattern piece.

3. Also, white kitchen sized trash bags cut open make excellent, durable pattern tracing material. I just use a sharpie to trace the pattern with.

4. The cat will invariably want to climb in your lap while you're sewing a sleeve or other tight curve that requires massive concentration.

5. Bias tape is a gift from god. Use it well.

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Which voice in your head should you keep alive?
dsam4701
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2008 08:54:54 PM »

1. When in doubt, buy new rotary blades. Your fabric will cut faster, easier, and smoother.

2. Keep extra bobbins. Nothing is worse than having to unwind 10 yards of thread because it is the wrong color.

3. Keep your cat(s) out of your sewing room. I can't tell you how many times one of my cats ate thread off of the spool, made a bed out of the fabric that pools on the floor as I was cutting, or almost had their paw sewn to the fabric as they tried to catch the needle.

4. When using a pattern that has a lot of pieces use a fabric pencil to write the pattern number to the corresponding pattern piece. Trust me on this one.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Golden Eye Makeup Look
How to Create a Lilac Makeup Look
How to Contour and Highlight Like a Pro
Product Round Up: Best Lipgloss Picks
6 New High Technology Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...