A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Things I have learned about sewing (feel free to add...)  (Read 38663 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2008 09:42:54 AM »

This is a great thread and I want to post some things I have learned as soon as I think up some good ones.

Maybe my first one is yes I do need all this fabric.

You probably need all that fabric as much as I need three sewing machines (not counting the serger).

Which is to say, they are all absolutely necessary.  Obviously.

Grin
of course you need three sewing machines! I have my will sew thru anything machine, my machine with the 8000 different stitches ( I never use it shhhhhh ) and my serger <3. I also have 2 rowenta irons ( I have a obsessive love for Rowentas )and an iron press which I use for pressing yardage. I timed myself pressing 18 yards of drapery fabric with my iron press and it only took me about 30 minutes. Oh yeah I am a dork.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
eye_on_sparrow
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2008 06:36:11 PM »

You definately need all those machines.  I have 2 sergers and 3 sewing machines.  I just got rid of 3 sewing machines that I didn't need any more.  But I do love a new sewing machine actually I love any sewing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SnowfallDesigns
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2008 06:35:41 AM »

I think I use my crappiest sewing machine the most!  I got my mother-in-law's old Singer that she never used and it's a really nice machine.  Unfortunatly, it has a different type of bobbin than my other machines and not only is having two sets of bobbins a pain, but they cost like $2 each! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

La Maestra
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2008 01:36:48 PM »

I have learned that it's okay to want more than one machine... all the naysayers obviously don't have a clue.

I lust for another sewing machine.  Exactly what kind of machine sews through anything, Diesels_Mom?  That's what I need!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2008 04:13:02 PM »

I have learned that it's okay to want more than one machine... all the naysayers obviously don't have a clue.

I lust for another sewing machine.  Exactly what kind of machine sews through anything, Diesels_Mom?  That's what I need!

I have an industrial sewing machine, I sew alot of webbing for my brothers offroad racing friends, things like window nets, repairing canvas stuff. I paid 600 for my machine and it came with the table, I have sewn thru 9 layers of heavyweight denim with it. Look on craigslist for industrial machines, mines a juki and I love her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
seampoints
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2008 06:29:16 AM »

Have confidence and don't cut corners.

No matter how much you want to, no matter how tempting it is, do not pin those seams and then try your nearly finished garment on. OWCH! (Thats one I know but still haven't learn't)

Just five more minutes syndrome

Don't start a project for a party/ night out which you obviously won't be able to complete in time. You'll come so close to finishing you won't be able to put it down. The night will be aweful. You might look fantastic but you'll be horribly late, horribly sober sorely regretful and just in time to go home. Sewing is no substitute for interaction with other humans! (another I know but still haven't learn't)

No feeling compares to being told "My God, I love your dress" and replying "I made it myself!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seampoints
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2008 06:32:50 AM »

Oh I've got another, I've got another! No matter how impatient you are pre shrink your fabric by washing it before you start sewing. Those beautiful trousers will be useless once they become ankle biters after the first wash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2008 07:50:49 AM »

as a corollary to the pre-wash.

the just Perfect fabric cost $40 on sale, whats an hour of time compared to having to replace the fabric when it isn't on sale anymore?  (and this is when I'm taking home about $8.50 an hour....)

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
2many58
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2008 12:09:01 AM »

LOL. . . This is a fun thread. 

My number 1.  Never, ever allow SO to see  entire stash in one place.  Keep it hidden in various places!!!   Shocked horrified look at new box from Fabric.com.  "You have five plastic dressers filled with fabric?"  No those are scrapbooking supplies.  Only three are fabric, and I need another.  That's old jeans and clothing in that big bin.  SO will never understand your fabric is cheaper than his automobiles, guns, chainsaws, lawnmowers and Semi.  Nor will he comprehend it takes up less space. 

My number 2.  Never assume that fabric you bought last week will match the new one you're buying.  It won't, the orange will be rusty, the blue too dark or the black will not be dark enough, although you thought it was the darkest color possible. 

My number 3.  Never toss out that last scrap, even if it's only one design.  Later I'll decide I wanted it so I can applique it onto something else.  Or for a tiny bow. . . just put it in the scrap bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me crafting always equals cold coffee.  *L*
Good thing I like it that way. 
2 many crafts started, need finished.
58 needs a few 0's added.  *s*
Wildflowers

Love creating with my hands and sharing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2008 08:44:32 AM »

If you know the basics of sewing, and have developed you skill set, you can use ANY workable machine and/or good hands to turn out a work of beauty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
13 Beautiful Must-Have Lip Shades for Summer 2015
Exclusive: Behind-the-Scenes Beauty Secrets From Pitch Perfect 2
Tips On Choosing The Safest Nail Salon For Workers
This Woman Literally Just Chopped Off Yards of Hair
Top 3 Spring Nail Colours
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...