A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,175
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Twenty bucks + stacks of Vanity Fair magazines = New Faux Headboard/Artwork!  (Read 55541 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grammardog
« on: May 18, 2008 11:25:52 AM »

I've never had a headboard on my bed, and I hate that look... I feel like the bed looks unfinished, like you're staying there temporarily, or like you're in a college dorm.  Well, yesterday, since I have a quilt that has to be finished in four weeks and I'm nowhere near close, I decided to ignore that project altogether and finally make something that, although not a headboard, would give the illusion of being a part of the bed, and finishing the look. 

I saw a really cool project done with old magazines on the internerd a while back (it may have even been on Craftster?), so I took my inspiration from that.  Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw the project that inspired this one... if anyone knows who it was, please let me know as I would love to credit the artist with the original idea!  (EDIT:  Patricia Zapata had the idea originally!  Check out her awesome work:  http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2008/01/create_junk_mail_art_craft_vid.html)

I went to Michaels, got these awesome $8 frames (although if you get a really nice cashier, she'll let you buy one at a time and use the 50%-off-one-item coupon three times).  I also got three large sheets of textured white paper for a couple of bucks each.  I mixed in an Exacto knife, some hand-drawn stencils, a handful of old Vanity Fair magazines, so for about $20 and eight hours of The Golden Girls, I got these!

I made them by tearing out sheets from the magazines that were mostly purple, brown, and green.  I sliced them into strips and glued them onto a flat sheet of bristol board, alternating them with strips of plain text.  Then I cut the floral design into the textured paper.  The prints are not matted, but I cut the edges of the flowers flat so that they would look like they were matted.  Then I just taped the board with the strips on it to the underside of the stenciled paper and popped them into the frame.

I believe this brown one is very similar to the original design I saw online, although I believe the strips were multi-coloured in that one, and the flower a bit different:

I'm least excited about this green one... I feel like it doesn't quite fit in because it's not full enough, but was too tired of Exacto-ing to go back and re-do it.  I wonder if I tried putting in a couple of leaves?  Or would it just look crowded...

Purple hibiscus:

Here is a close-up.  I just noticed that there are at least two instances of the word "sex" in this one, which I hope brings good luck to my bed.  One of them has a question mark on the end, though... that might not bode well.

I'm so excited that I actually managed to finish these, and even hang them!  (It's absolutely true that I am most productive when I have a task that needs doing, but unfortunately what's produced is never related to the task that needs doing.)  Now I need to go pick up eight thousand tiny bits of Vanity Fair in my living room. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008 03:40:01 PM by grammardog » THIS ROCKS   Logged
italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008 11:30:48 AM »

They're very cool!
I love collages and these are very clever.
I'm glad you showed the up-close pics because I was having a hard time visualizing what you did, but I get it now.
I like them a lot, all three really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
Pinky Damone
recovering..slowly but surely

My sewing machine is its own special brand of hell

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008 11:38:37 AM »

they look awesome far away and up close!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY ETSY IS BEING CONSTRUCTED!
www.pinkydamone.etsy.com

PINY DAMONE BLOG
www.pinkydamone.blogspot.com

THIS WIST IS BANANAS! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
http://www.wists.com/NiRoshaK
iota1617

Wildness is a necessity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008 12:00:20 PM »

These are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ain't afraid of God, devil, death, nor destruction. Them's my four aces.

Wild Notions - http://www.wild-notions.com
Textile Designs: http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/wildnotions
www.modernyardage.com/shop/category/shop-by-designer/katie-schrader/
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008 12:09:33 PM »

I agree with the "unfinished look" thought. I hate having a blank space above my bed. It's like it's staring at me!!! I have a window there now, so that and the curtains do just fine!

I love what you've done with yours! I've bookmarked it. Not sure where, when or what, but I'm going to use that for something!!!

Beautiful job! Love the flower shapes, too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
karin_

Swedish craftster!

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008 12:12:50 PM »

Pretty! I especially love the brown one - it would look perfect in out living room! I might have to try something similar to this, our walls are way too bare Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008 12:15:35 PM »

Cute idea, I love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008 12:31:30 PM »

great idea Smiley love the colours for your room as well ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008 12:46:27 PM »

Oh that is fabulous!  Thank you for the awesome inspiration!  My 9yr old niece needs artwork for her new pink & black diva room, and I was thinking of doing 3 pieces with shoes & handbags - this would be a great way to do it (using pages from Vogue of course  Grin )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
ChickLitWriterGirl
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008 01:45:57 PM »

That's so amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...x... Measure Your Life In Love ...x...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Pearl River Chicken
Kama Sutra Saki Teriyaki Salmon
Great Wall Cookbook Review
Cooking at Boom Noodle
Clay Pot Rice in Hong Kong
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...