A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 310,016
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you think of yout "thing"?  (Read 1312 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meg4568
« on: February 03, 2005 09:16:02 AM »

so my big moneymaker right now is felted animals. the thing is there are all kinds on the internet just like mine and i need a "thing" because i want to start a website soon.
Unfortunately the only thing i'm really interested in is art and most people wouldnt get it if i just put a dali mustache on an animal or gave one a big uni-brow or something.

so how do other people think of ideas? i've been asking friends but the only ideas come way too clse to the cheezy vermont teddybear or beanie baby stuff, and i want to stay away from that.

help!! Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yosei
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005 12:55:30 PM »

Well, inspiration can come from almost anywhere...My idea for my latest painting came about due to watching Antiques Roadshow while on Lortab, for instance...Other times I see something I kind of like and just sort of play 'what if?' with it, mentally changing first one detail and then another until it evolves into something totally unrecognizable.  Mind you, I'm doing more clothing and accessories( and art), rather than stuffed animals, but those are ways of getting the creative process going generally.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annieee

hooray for craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005 07:00:43 PM »

Unfortunately the only thing i'm really interested in is art and most people wouldnt get it if i just put a dali mustache on an animal or gave one a big uni-brow or something.

Actually, I think that mustache thing is hilarious, and I'm willing to bet there are people out there willing to buy a cute hippo with a mustache and maybe some glasses... I would. (well that's because i <3 hippos)

Don't change your art to satisfy other people's whims. Art is something personal, and you should make it because you want to and you love it. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005 06:30:18 PM »

I dont htink of ideas- it comes more from dumping a bunch of dyes and fibers together, and blending them (or not!) to see what happens.  I may start out with a genreal idea of how i want the yarn i spin to look (bulky vs laceweight, type of texture, etc) but i really like to just work with the materials and see what happens.  Art is for the sake of art and what you like, not what the commercial world likes (though thtat does help of course, though people do like to be shocked upon occasion!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
kstaron
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005 06:31:23 AM »

call me an oddball, but I think a stuffed animal in a unibrow would be cool. Unique enough to remember and if done right still adorable.  The people you would be marketing to here is collectors not kids.  For ages I collected cats.  The unique ones always drew my attention.  Hmmm. kitten with unibrow and a surly attitude?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoTo
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005 11:56:28 AM »

I agree--animals with a mustache or unibrow would catch my eye.  You could name the animals if you want folks to get the art reference--"Dali Dog", that sort of thing.  The name would stick with folks too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glass Coaster Kits--make your own pressed flower coasters: http://gotogreatpanes.com/none.html
Jewelry Supplies--including Plastic Earring Hooks & Posts: http://gotogreatpanes.com/supplies
Special Effects Hair Dye (SFX):  http://gotogreatpanes.com/giftsforgoths/sfx
meg4568
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005 04:38:59 PM »

ohhhh good one.

can i use that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vala_amaris
Vala Queen of TMI

I'm kinda nuts but really sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005 06:22:11 PM »

Gala-Salvador Dali Foundation owns the copyrights I believe so you'd have to seek their permission first.  I think the artsy animals could definately sell though!  I know I would buy a kitty with a unique twist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoTo
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005 06:42:30 PM »

can i use that?

Glad you liked it.  As long as it is ok with the Gala-Salvador Dali Foundation, it's fine with me, though I wouldn't mind getting credit for naming the pups.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glass Coaster Kits--make your own pressed flower coasters: http://gotogreatpanes.com/none.html
Jewelry Supplies--including Plastic Earring Hooks & Posts: http://gotogreatpanes.com/supplies
Special Effects Hair Dye (SFX):  http://gotogreatpanes.com/giftsforgoths/sfx
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Cork Board
Triptychs: Art in Three Pieces
Meatless Monday: Italian Stew

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...