A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 305,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Patch for Brass Guitar???  (Read 912 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rented_angel
« on: May 17, 2008 11:00:02 AM »

Hi....this is kind of a weird question, but my friend bought a brass biscuit guitar a few weeks ago....and after practicing for weeks, he found out he's allergic to the metal.  His elbow is breaking out in a rash where his arm rests on it.  Being a boy, his first thoughts were duct tape...but it's just too pretty to tape up I think.  Any ideas on what could be used to put there or how to adhere something to it so we'd be able to take it off again easily.

I tried to draw where we would need the patch, but I don't know how. Tongue   It would be on the upper left hand of this picture...where his arm rests while strumming.  Maybe 4 inches wide and 6 across or so.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sofiushka
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008 11:16:43 AM »

Hm, if duct tape would work to keep him from rashing, then you could use that clear adhesive paper used to protect books and stuff (I don't know how it's called in english, but it's this sort of thing). The thin kind would look better, but the thicker type would be easier to peel off whenever you wanted.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008 11:17:11 AM by Sofiushka » THIS ROCKS   Logged
angeltreats
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008 11:18:55 AM »

How annoying for him!  I suspect I would suffer similarly if I had one, metal allergies are not fun.

I wondered if you could make some sort of patch out of plasters.  Band Aids I think you guys call them.  You can get ones with all sorts of patterns on them usually designed for kids, Disney etc, but I have also seen some cool ones with animal prints, like leopard and zebra, that would be a bit more rock 'n' roll  Cheesy  See here for the type of thing I mean:

http://www.promopeddler.com/Detail/78105/40080

They're sticky but easily removable and a little soapy water should take off any residue without damaging the guitar. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008 12:00:13 PM »

This costs a bit more than some of the other ideas, but would look nice & be removable without leaving a trace. 

Try gluing one of those gripper pads (made of silicone, used for keeping cell phones on dashboards) onto the back of a cut out piece of suede.  Before he plays, just set this on the location.  It would look nice, be comfortable and not alter the instrument at all.

Hope this helps!  Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
Gemcraft
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008 01:18:38 PM »

Clear nail varnish (or any colour) will work - a lot of people put it on the back of watches etc if they are allergic to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
opheliapoe
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008 01:30:40 PM »

possibly clear contact paper? it seems to come off pretty easily in most cases. and its clear, so it wouldn't make the guitar any less attractive. and there are all kinds of printed contact papers too. or some kind of vinyl decal of some sort... there are all kinds of decals to put on walls that are vinyl that you can peel off the wall later for if you live in an apartment and can't paint. some stores also sell stick-on wood veneer strips (like home depot) that you can put on the fronts of desks and countertops. since its wood, maybe you could paint it to match the guitar so it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008 07:26:55 PM »

Um, couldn't he just wear something with sleeves?  You could also make a removable cozy out of cloth (rather than gum it up with tape). I'd tend to put it over the area he needs covered, across the back, and over to the other side (to make it look less like a patch, and more like something you have on because you want it).  He could use something like an elastic band with a button, or velcro to hold it on (and to make it removable so if he needs to wash it, it's easy).

I still think sleeves are the easiest solution, though. If he doesn't want to wear a long sleeved shirt when he plays, he could make one of those long armwarmer mitts (could be sewn rather than knit or crocheted, even), and take it off when he's done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008 08:37:41 PM »

I vote for an arm cuff or armwarmer/sleeve, like that whic Muria suggested.  That way it doesn't detract from the beauty of the instrument.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
Gemcraft
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008 04:37:17 AM »

I play guitar and cant play in long sleeves so not sure if that will work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008 07:11:34 AM »

Actually the nail polish idea isn't too bad, but I'd get the right laquer from a hardware store (try a Sherwin Williams or some place other than a big box, they will have more knowledgable people to help you with the right product). A lot of bathroom fixtured are laquerd if they are brass, so you don't have to polish.

Like any guitar decorative work, remove the pick ups & strings first! mask anything else before painting/ finishing/ etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drawing Clothes on a Fashion Figure
Drawing a Fashion Figure
The Basics of Fashion Drawing
How to Make a Tattoo Stencil by Hand
How to Draw Curves like an Architect
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...