A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help making Snorlax doll  (Read 2286 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MoonChyld3
« on: May 16, 2008 07:36:03 PM »

So my boyfriend's birthday is in July, and even though he said he didn't want anything, I'm going to try to make him a Snorlax doll. Even though he's going to be 27 he's really into video games and Snorlax is his all-time favorite pokemon.

I bought some felt today (the 8x11 single sheets), but I'm having a hard time thinking of how I'm going to get him to be the right shape and proportion. I've searched teddy bear patterns but nothing looks quite right. This is what I'm trying to base the design off of:

So I guess i'm thinking almost a rounded square for a body, and a round head and round feet. For the face and belly I'll just applique a different color on top, and the nails I'll cut triangles. I'm mostly worried about the body and arms  Undecided

Suggestions anyone? I've never made any sort of doll before...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diana dOr
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008 06:54:33 AM »

My best suggestion would really be to check out Craftster "loveandasandwich" 's works. She does an amazing job with felt creatures. So if you don't mind going a little abstract, she's got some great ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knitting is a boon for those of us who are easily bored.  I take my knitting everywhere to take the edge off of moments that would otherwise drive me stark raving mad"
SavoryxPie
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008 09:47:46 AM »

Ahh! Snorlax is my favorite too! :3 someday I'm going to make a snorlax bean bag chair. someday. Uh, I'd make a round shape for the body and stuff it bean like d attach the arms separately. But I've never done anything like this either, I'm just throwing it out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008 10:33:26 AM »

Alot of the felt critters I've seen are kinda flat in dimension. Which would be pretty easy. Do basically what you said. If you want it to sit up make the legs/feet as separate from the body. The head separate.
If you draw it out on paper first it might help you envision what you are doing. On the other hand felt is really cheap. If you're not happy with how it looks. start over. you can do the eyes and mouth with embroidery floss or marking pen.
that will be really cute and nice for him. Be sure to show us you finished project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
AndeeD
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008 03:02:34 PM »

My son has an actual Snorlax plush doll and it's body is segmented. As is the head. Not sure if this will be possible. The head on this one is in four pieces with the inset face a different color and then that head is sewn on the body which looks like six pieces to give it dimension sort of like a bowling pin. The feet are attached at the bottom.

I'm not much of a seamstress so I can't really deconstruct it in my head.

Andee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008 11:15:42 AM »

My son has an actual Snorlax plush doll and it's body is segmented. As is the head. Not sure if this will be possible. The head on this one is in four pieces with the inset face a different color and then that head is sewn on the body which looks like six pieces to give it dimension sort of like a bowling pin. The feet are attached at the bottom.

I'm not much of a seamstress so I can't really deconstruct it in my head.

Andee
This could be done fairly easily. Use any round ball pattern and blow it up to about 2-3 times the size for the body. Use the smaller for the head. Ears are triangles. To make them 3-d I'd use a half circle and sew it into a cone shape. Arms make a tube and gather one end to make the paw and sew the nails on. You can do the nails the same as ears just make them smaller shapes. Feet can be oval shaped or circular. I think either will work. You can even size the pattern for the head down and use that.
Appliquéing on the accents would work nicely. And Provide a bit more structure. If you like working with felt you might want to upgrade to fleece. It's nicer quality not too expensive and I think it stuffs much nicer in the long run. It also has much better wash ability. Felt can stretch or even shrink/melt in the washer/dryer. Fleece is washable and dry-able. (it also comes in tons of colors and prints!)
Here's a pattern for a circle that I use:
http://almaxaquotal.deviantart.com/art/Baby-Snitch-Pattern-39102162
(it's technically a baby snitch pattern but I use the body all the time by itself. it works great.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MoonChyld3
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008 11:19:21 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I do want to make it 3D, but I wonder if I could make less of a sphere/ball and more of a.....squished ball? Like as though someone stepped on an orange. Weird analogy, I know. Do you think if I used that pattern but made the edges less curvy it would work?

I like your idea for the ears and claws, Eliea. This is my first attempt at using felt, so it will probably have a lot of mistakes. Maybe I can work everything out with felt and then re-make it with fleece. I do like fleece better and some of the felt I bought is really rough.

I'm off to Texas for a week, but when I get back I'm going to get started on this baby!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008 11:47:15 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I do want to make it 3D, but I wonder if I could make less of a sphere/ball and more of a.....squished ball? Like as though someone stepped on an orange. Weird analogy, I know. Do you think if I used that pattern but made the edges less curvy it would work?

I like your idea for the ears and claws, Eliea. This is my first attempt at using felt, so it will probably have a lot of mistakes. Maybe I can work everything out with felt and then re-make it with fleece. I do like fleece better and some of the felt I bought is really rough.

I'm off to Texas for a week, but when I get back I'm going to get started on this baby!

If you blow it up it will come out more squared. I used the same pattern for my Tribble (posted somewhere in Toys Dolls and Playthings.)
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=180135.0
I decided next time if I blow it up I will use 5 pieces instead of 4 to make it more rounded. You can also stretch the image along the short side so that it's more wide than long and that will square the shape out a bit. I recommend getting a little muslin to test any changes you make. That way you save your felt for the finished product.
I used the cone method to make spikes on a color for a bulldog I made for my BIL.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=136754.msg1344722#msg1344722
(that's so you cansee it if you're visual like me.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MoonChyld3
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008 05:01:15 PM »

I actually finished! Thanks for all the help - check him out:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=253892
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Homemade Delicious Hamburger
How to Make the Perfect Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
How to Cook Tuna Lasagne
How to Prepare Manhattan Brunch
How to Make the Perfect Hot Dogs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...