A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: duffle bags for children in the foster car system  (Read 1128 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clared
« on: May 16, 2008 12:27:59 PM »

Whil this idea does not include a craft i would like to share with you a mission the  womens group in our church has undertaken. We made an appeal to our general congregation and are collecting  duffle bags, the type you can get from Walmart for about $10.00 and are taking them to our county social services office to be distributed to children in the foster care program. Most of these kids  carry their belongings in garbage bags when they are moved from one place to another. This mission will give them something nice that belongs to them and hopefully give them some much needed self esteem. Then someone got a brain storm and we salvaged enough like new bears and stuffed animals from our rummage sale and will put one in each bag.
The response from our congregation has been overwhelming. We contibute to many missions that  sends stuff overseas that is much needed, this mission gives us a chance to make a difference in the  life of a  child locally..

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Buns
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008 07:18:20 PM »

That is a very nice idea!  I work with children who have lived their whole lives in the foster care system and I have seen those garbage bag-suitcases.  It always made me feel kind of sad, although I don't know that they see anything odd about it.  This is a great idea and I bet it does a lot for their self-esteem.  I will keep this in mind for the future.  Did you just contact CAS or family services and let them know you were interested in donating duffle bags?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clared
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008 04:26:21 PM »

we did call social services first  to see how they wanted to handle it. we took 40 bags and bears tis week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008 09:31:44 AM »

I'm an adoptive mom and currently working on my homestudy for another child (YEAH!). This time we are looking for an older child (older than an infant!) and so we had to go thru intensive training to prepare for this.

I have heard of getting duffle bags for foster kids before and was interested in doing this prior to adoptiong our first child, but after going thru the training and hearing the stories from foster moms and social workers I am compelled to look at this charity again. There is no such charity here in Alabama where I live, so I'm wondering how to help.

Are the duffle bags small ones? You know, the size one would take to the gym? They would work.  but I'm thinking of sewing together the singlet style grocery bags like in this thread (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177482.0). I was thinking of adding a large flap with some sort of enclosure to keep the bag shut. My social worker said that they have 30 minutes to gather belongings and normally just shove a change of clothing, a couple of underwear and socks and another pair of shoes (if the child has them) and allow the child to pick one special item - plus any toiletries they can get.

I was also thinking of making these of canvas and throwing in some washable markers. This way the child could color the bag while in the car (if it is daytime) or while in their new home or waiting at the social worker's office, as a way of therapy. They (or their foster family) could wash it out and they could redecorate it. This would add to the sense that this thing belongs to them.  I was also thinking of throwing in a toothbrush, a comb and brush and maybe some hand lotion.

What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
scmileyfan
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008 06:33:31 AM »

Thirty minutes?  I can't imagine.  This seems like a great idea. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would like to do personal swaps too!
crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008 12:01:37 PM »

Thirty minutes?  I can't imagine.  This seems like a great idea. 

I know. Sounds terrible, but that's what the SW's kept repeating "We have 30 minutes to remove the child from the situation". Due to the shock the child (if old enough) can not make a decision as to what to take so the SW will try their best to grab at least one change of clothing and throw it in a plastic grocery bag.

Thanks for the thumbs up on my idea. I'm going to discuss it with my supporting SW when we have our next visit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best & Worst Style
How to Highlight and Contour For a Thinner Face
The Right Way to Wear Winged Liner
Pharrell Teams with Comme Des Garcon for Girl Perfume
Theodore Leaf Reveals His Elevator Makeover Hair Tricks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...