A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,644
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creepy Cute Crochet - patterns are confusing...  (Read 16590 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

instantkarma
« on: May 16, 2008 09:23:17 AM »

After seeing a couple very few completed projects from Creepy Cute Crochet by Christen Haden, I managed to get a hold of the book for myself. I finished my first project from the book (the Nosferatu) and I just have to ask - has anyone else who has made something out of this book have trouble with the patterns? For me, they were just written so confusingly. My finished product is adorable as all get-out (well, would be moreso if I could have found the right size safety eyes, but still) but I felt like I was getting lost the whole time that I was making it - and I've been crocheting and doing amigurumi for close to a year now, almost non-stop.

Do any of you have any thoughts about this book and/or thoughts about how the patterns are written?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008 10:24:05 AM »

oh geeze, dont say that!  I bought the book on ebay about 3 wks ago.  (convenently the persons  auction still says there are 49 available but, then I get an email saying its out of stock.  Angry )  Anyways, I got another amigurumi book and had the same thought.  Like, the way they wrote it was weird.  Instead of the usual sc in 1st st, dc in next 2 sc & repeat.  It says sc & space dc evenly to form 12?  And im like "wa?Huh?  Just tell me how many sc I need to do before I do the dc.  You know, sc 2 times then dc once ect...."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
instantkarma
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008 10:39:53 AM »

I know what you're talking about. I think I'm used to patterns that tend to spell out what you're supposed to do more clearly. Don't be too worried about the difficulty of the patterns, but I had to improvise a lot of it in order to get something that made sense.

Some good news for you might be that every pattern has a chart along with it, but it's not helpful for me since I don't read charts. :\ I would have sacrificed the charts for clearer instructions and descriptions (for instance, the heads are not round; they're oblong. I would have loved if they had said that you should end with that type of shape to make "fixing" the patterns easier!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seawood
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008 05:15:03 AM »

Oh no...I am expecting my copy to arrive Saturday or Monday and I really want to make the Cthulhu for a friend's birthday in June - does it look really hard? I haven't done any of these before, still very much a novice and mostly do clothes and bags. I was so looking forward to doing it Sad

Any tips in advance? I'll already have to scritch my head a lot to translate into UK notation...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Caroline
instantkarma
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008 09:39:15 AM »

Cthulhu is rated as "intermediate" in the book, which is also the rating of the two I'm working on now and tearing my hair out over. Just be prepared to do a lot of improvising to get things looking right. It looks pretty cute when all is said and done, and there's no embroidery for him, which is nice (the other ones have embroidered features, which are hella hard to do when you don't know *how* to embroider).

If that pattern is too hard, The Anti-Craft has a great one if you're interested. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seawood
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008 05:33:05 AM »

Cheers - not arrived today so fingers crossed for tomorrow (although, it's my birthday this week and I know there are at least two crochet books stashed away in the cupboard as well, lol!). Pfft...I do set myself some challenges! I may be back begging for hints in a few days... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Caroline
amber555
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008 05:57:12 PM »

I have to agree, the book is far more confusing than I would have expected. I've only made the corporate zombie, but I'm working on the Skeleton Groom right now. I plan to finish him and the monkey and then write a full review of the book for my blog.

In general though I am a bit disappointed in the book. I don't understand why some of the rows increase and decrease in the amounts they do. Like why go from 6 stitches round to 11, 17, 21, 25 or whatever it is on the head. Why not use a basic mutiple like 6, 12, 18, or 5, 10, 15? Especially since the heads look round in the photos.

I'm trying to be a good girl and follow the patterns as directed so I can give the book a fair review, but I constantly want to change the row counts. I also prefer to work in spirals and can't see how doing the slip stitch to join and then chaining one at the beginning of each round it better. Is there any good reason why these guys couldn't be made working in spirals? Or does the author just dislike that technique?

My other complaint is I wish there were more photos showing the finished product from different angles. Especially for the Cthulhu, I'd like a photo of the back, so I can see what the wings look like.

As well, in places the instructions are confusing. I was supposed to sew the zombies hair on in a zig zag, but I couldn't figure out how to make it sit right that way. There would have been bald patches and he doesn't have bald patches in the pic. As well, I've read the instructions for the mouth tentacles on the Cthulhu about four times and I still don't know what it is asking me to do. Maybe if I was actually working on him I'd get a better idea, but I'm not certain.

For those who haven't bought the book yet it's not terrible, but you may have to improvise a bit, rather than following the directions exactly as they're written. It's probably not the best book to start with if you've never done amigurumi before because you won't have the skills yet to "improvise".

Of course we can keep this thread going as a source of help with the book. I was thinking of starting a crochet-along for the book, but haven't actually set it up yet.

If anyone wants to see him, my Corporate Zombie is here http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/2008/05/corporate-zombie-cute-thing-of-week.html and Seawood I have a couple free cthulhu patterns on my blog you can try if the one in the book doesn't work out for you.

Thanks for starting this topic Instantkarma I'm glad I'm not the only one who's a little frustrated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
Ainadaliel
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008 07:21:54 AM »

I hear y'all. Even the basic head has some typos...ch 1, sc in same st...then after some rounds, it doesn't say "sc in same st", but it still counts that sc as a stitch.

Anyway, I tried making eyes with polymer clay and will prolly use super glue to glue them on the amigurumis.

My big frustration now is the corporate zombie's hair. I swear, I was trying to figure it out for TWO hours and I just gave up.  Cry Cry Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

instantkarma
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008 09:21:32 AM »

I hear y'all. Even the basic head has some typos...ch 1, sc in same st...then after some rounds, it doesn't say "sc in same st", but it still counts that sc as a stitch.

Anyway, I tried making eyes with polymer clay and will prolly use super glue to glue them on the amigurumis.

My big frustration now is the corporate zombie's hair. I swear, I was trying to figure it out for TWO hours and I just gave up.  Cry Cry Cry

First off, let me just say that I agree with pretty much everything that Amber555 said about the book. I really couldn't have said it better myself.

I am having huge problems with the corporate zombie's hair too. I tried the instructions in the book and I think now I will be just switching to hot glue to save me the troubles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amber555
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008 10:59:35 AM »

When I did the Corporate Zombie I made the hair as instructed, but as soon as I tried to pull it off the ruler I was winding it around, it all tried to come loose. I think the instructions should have a final instruction to put masking tape on it on both sides until you get it sewed on the head, then take the masking tape off.

I still don't know what place in zig-zags on the head means. I just sewed it in two strips down the center so it would hang down both sides. I think that instruction in the book of having the fringe "pointed in the opposite direction of how it will sit when finished" doesn't work for the zombie, I think it probably makes more sense for the Queen Vampire or Amazon where you gather the hair in a ponytail afterwards.

I just finished the Skeleton Groom, but haven't taken pics yet. I had suspected the characters with hats would be too top heavy to stand on their own and sadly I'm right. Unless I want to stuff him with rocks, he's going to fall over. I think I'm going to go buy a tiny wooden wheel or block, paint it a matching colour and glue it to the bottom as a base. Putting a base on is fine since he's going to be a Halloween ornament, but if I wanted to make him as a toy for someone I'd be disappointed that he couldn't be soft and stand on his own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started my own crochet blog, have a look...http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Effie Trinket Halloween Makeup
How to Do a Checkboard Manicure
How to Fix Lipstick Mishaps
How to Fix Your Foundation
How to Fix Mascara Smudges
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...