A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yay for Mom!  (Read 1049 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

birchhl
« on: May 15, 2008 10:48:20 PM »

I love my mom! I love that my mom is too busy with other projects to use her spinning wheel! I love that she loaned me said wheel and sent about 2 pounds of fluffy lamb woolyness that she's had for at least 10 years! No, seriously, I can't believe how lucky I am. The wheel is nice:) I don't know much about it, just that it's stamped "Louet". Anyone seen or used this kind lately?

I've spent the last few weeks teaching myself to use it and trying not to waste the roving that she gave me...and for some reason the pics of my yarn won't show up...phoey:(
I was successful in spinning two bobbins of fairly consistent singles. I plied those together and now have quite a bit of useable yarn. I'll try again to post pics of the actual finished yarn soon. Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xampx

Nudge me in the direction of creativity!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008 01:10:44 AM »

It looks like a Louet S10 (what I have) but all the Louets look similar to me.

I love this wheel, its so easy to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dorkotron
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008 01:40:23 AM »

i wouldn't even know where to begin with a spinning wheel, but i've always wanted to try one out. it's so incredible that you got one. have a great time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd love a personal swap! anyone interested?
birchhl
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008 04:00:51 PM »

I got the pictures to load!  Smiley So here is my first finished yarn:

and here's my hand for a size reference

at the moment I don't know how much yarn I made (no niddy noddy) but i think it's enough to make a blanket or sweater(as long as I waste nothing!) Please let me know what you think! Thank you for looking  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008 07:45:56 PM »

It looks like a Louet S10 (what I have) but all the Louets look similar to me.

I love this wheel, its so easy to use.

I have been creating yarn (spindle in 1998, wheel in 2002) and have always wanted to spin on a Louet.  I've have heard nothing but raves from their owners.

I started out on a wheel in 2002 with an Ashford Traveller DT, DD with optional scotch tension.  Took right to the DD, still don't like the scotch tenson on this wheel.

In 2004 I expanded my wheels to a late 1700 Irish Style saxon style flax wheel and a 1970's era Ashford Traditional ST SD.  The Christmas of 2006, my darling DH got me a late 1800's Great Wheel.

This past year, a spinning student brought a Schact Matchless (which I loved as a Scotch tension, but not so much as a DD).

I've also spun on a Babe's wheel and a Babe's electric.

All this to say that finally, this past spring I was finally able to sit down with a lot of various manufacture's wheels and take a test spin.  I was looking for a more portable wheel since my job has me traveling for extended periods a few times a year.

I spun a couple Louet models, the HitchHiker, Little Gem II and I found my one-true-love wheel .... the Kromski Sonata.

As much as I was looking forward to the Louet's, I have to say I was highly disappointed in them.  They treadled very stiff compared to the other manufactures that I tried. I was shocked!!!

Please don't take me wrong.  Louet has too many followers to make this an inefficient wheel, but it just wasn't my style

so ..... anyone want to buy a late 1700's Irish style saxon wheel or a mid 1970's Ashford Traditional??

I want to get me a Kromski Sonata!!!

Birchhl:

That is a beautiful yarn!!  Simply Stunning!  I love natural colors.

The wheel seems to suit you wonderfully!!  What was the weight of the roving you used??  Do you know how much the bobbin will hold??

I know on my Ashford Traveller, I need quite a few singles plyed onto my Jumbo bobbin to make enough for a sweater!!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008 07:51:04 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
birchhl
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008 10:07:00 PM »

mullerslanefarm, thank you for the compliments:) Thanks for the info on wheels too!
I have to say, I'm really very new to spinning. This is second wheel I've ever used, the first being when I was maybe 6 or 7 so I have never had the chance to test run anything else. Thus far, this Louet is working well for me. All the parts seems to be working correctly and I've slowly figured out how to use it correctly. My mom got a fleece and sent it out to be cleaned about 10 years ago and that's what I've been spinning up. I don't know the weight of the roving, only that I"ve been splitting it in half before spinning each piece. If i don't I end up with a tangle for some reason. As for how much it holds, I don't have a niddy noddle or anything close to it (I wrapped the yarn around the end of a ladder to keep it organized) but I"m going to guess I have about a pound, maybe a pound and a half of 2 ply(worsted to heavy worsted weight). I have enough roving to do about the same amount over again. I've just moved so I'm winging it in my spare time and trying to research spinning info online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Order at a Chinese Restaurant
What is a California Roll
How to Use Chopsticks
Stir Fry Food Technique - Chinese Culinary Chicago
Chef school class - chinese food equipment
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...