A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,993
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I wish my machine was alive so I could kill it.  (Read 1638 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meepum

^me and j9crafts. yeah. I'm a superhero.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2008 05:21:45 PM »

Why does this keep happening?! I was sewing along when all of a sudden, my Janome machine decides to do this:

any help is appreciated. thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skuterrat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008 06:09:20 PM »

My machine used to do this ALL the time.  It's usually a sign that the tension is off.  In my case, I pulled out the owner's manual and discovered I'd been threading the machine incorrectly.  Once I started threading everything correctly (including the bobbin!) and managed to get all of my tension settings worked out it behaved much better.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carrieme
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008 07:51:27 PM »

I agree, I would recommend double checking how your machine is threaded.  Mine will do that if the bobbin is not threaded properly.  I just re-thread everything whenever this happens. Definitely annoying!!!! Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop   http://www.carrieme.etsy.com
Wist:  http://www.wists.com/verycarrie
Visit my blog http://sewverycarrie.blogspot.com
pm me if you want to swap!
meepum

^me and j9crafts. yeah. I'm a superhero.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008 08:07:02 PM »

My machine used to do this ALL the time.  It's usually a sign that the tension is off.  In my case, I pulled out the owner's manual and discovered I'd been threading the machine incorrectly.  Once I started threading everything correctly (including the bobbin!) and managed to get all of my tension settings worked out it behaved much better.

Good luck!
Thanks. It's definitely the bobbin. I think my problem is that I'm using quilting thread so it's much thicker and that's messing it up?  Does that make a difference?

I agree, I would recommend double checking how your machine is threaded.  Mine will do that if the bobbin is not threaded properly.  I just re-thread everything whenever this happens. Definitely annoying!!!! Angry
ugh can I re-thread the thread that's already on the bobbin or do I need to scrap ALL that bobbin thread?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008 08:17:26 PM »

I think she meant how it comes off the bobbin & goes through the machine, not how the thread is wound on the bobbin proper.

I have a Janome as well & am quite happy with it (granted it's a big fancy schmancy one- I better be happy with it!) I find if I pull my stuff out too early before the stitch cycle is really complete I'll get lots of threads- make sure your needle is fully up before pulling out your fabric. Smiley

You may have some lint build up as well, this contributes to the problem, a good cleaning never hurts. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jerryleetypes
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008 08:39:49 PM »

Your problem is definitely due to the quilting thread. What you need to do is to use a regular weight thread on the bobbin and use the quilting thread on the top. You should also use a denim needle or something that has a larger eye. You will more than likely also have to adjust your tension.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookem
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008 08:41:22 PM »

all the moving parts still appear to be working, which is good... even if they are not really doing their job. dig out the users' manual and if possible, restore your machine's original settings.
check that everything is set correctly for the fabric you are using and run it again. if it still isn't fixed take the metal plate under the foot off with a screw driver. check underneath for build ups of dust, lint, thread. clean this stuff out with tweezers.
next, without thread in the machine, manually turn the needle, and watch out for any part that seems bent, broken, worn or is catching on anything.
hopefully the problem is resolved- if not, take it in for repair and with any luck you'll already have a good idea what the problem is.
i've had problems like this in the past and more often than not, all a well-used machine needs is a thorough clean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
sweetiepickles

mmmm crunchy crispy pickles

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008 09:20:31 PM »

Huh Mine does this often. Sad Even if my bobbin is threaded correctly. I still don't really know why. I play with the tension, cut and restart going slower- that seems to help. Are you running at full speed? Also is your needle apprpriate for your project and sharp---these are all things that help me? Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bloodybella
I craft out of neccesity

Well...here I go!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008 10:34:11 PM »

sometimes mine does this as well. usually just as I'm trying to finish a project. Usually I end up pulling out the bobbin and the rest of the thread and just rethreading the whole machine. That usually works. But sometimes I have to just walk away and come back once I'm not so heated and try again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
kiewiet
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008 02:04:10 AM »

My Janome sometimes does that if I wound the bobbin too quickly -somehow it messes up the tension on the bobbin.  Sad
Also check your bobbin isn't damaged.Sometimes after much use the bobbins can slightly warp -you may notice a "wobble' when you wind the bobbin. Janome machines really run better on their own bobbins,Ive found.
Also check that there isn't a small piece of thread or dirt caught between the tension discs on the upper thread side. My machine drove me nuts once and all it was was a tiny (3mm) thread that had wedged itself in between the discs. I now make sure I clean there regularly - kind of like flossing your teeth Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pair of Earrings
How to Make a Silver Ring
How to Make a Crystal Pendant
How to Make a Beaded Necklace
Yves Behar Argues Swiss Design No Longer Exists
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...