A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,665
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What fabric to use for the inside of pants pockets?  (Read 342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2008 12:31:47 PM »

I really want to make pants from scratch. What's the fabric that's used for the inside of the front pockets? Does the fabric vary depending on what kind of pants they are? I want to make denim pants as well as corduroy shorts. I hope someone can help me with this. I'm really looking forward to making pants. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
brookem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008 06:10:43 PM »

usually its just a thin woven cotton- check the pockets ofa pair of jeans for the weight. it should be thin enough that it is not visible thru the pants (when the pockets are empty) but strong enough not to tear. i would either serge the seam or make the pockets inside out- so the raw edge is inside the pocket, then sew another seam parallel to the first. if the seam allowance is very small (around 1/4 inch) this will trap the raw edge inside to finish it neatly.
 i would use a fabric that is either white, the same colour as the garment or perhaps a cute contrasting print or colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008 07:02:14 PM »

I normally use quilting cotton in a fun print, but be careful that it is good quality and you prewash it first.  Sometimes the stuff from Joann's bleeds.  I have also used poly/cotton batiste for a pair of jeans that had doubled  front pockets, to cut down on bulk, but I doubt that will be as durable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
val_for_design
Shimmy to the left, and shake it to the right

I should be working...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008 09:02:32 PM »

Light cottons are good for jeans, especially because it will be fairly durable. If the material is too thin (like a silky lining fabric), it can rip easily from pointy things like keys, or the seams can shred.

Oh, and experiment with colours and prints. If you construct them well, no-one else will ever know, and it will cheer you up every time you see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I suffer from SABLE -- Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

Crochet uses a hook. Pirates have hooks, and they are cool. So crochet is cool because of the hook.

"I'm the Fibre King, Michael. I'm the Fibre King." - Horatio Caine, CSI
Wildflowers

Love creating with my hands and sharing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008 05:51:31 PM »

Lots of good suggestions have posted here!  I like the cute print fabric option if it doesn't show through!

One suggestion, make sure it is laundered or cleaned the same was as the fabric used for the pants.  I would suggest pre-washing the fabric, and if you use a print fabric put it in a water bath to see if it bleeds.

Pre-washing pant fabric helps eliminate that so attractive high water look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008 07:16:41 PM »

Wow, thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Smiley So does everyone agree on the light cotton fabric? That's what I was thinking to use, but I wanted to see what others had to say.

And I was also thinking of the print idea; just something cool for me to see.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Potatoes O Brien Recipe
The Rookie Cook: How to Make Cole Slaw
Toaster Scrambles - Food Review
Cajun Crab Etouffee
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...