A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I line my unlined journal?  (Read 882 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmberKat
« on: May 15, 2008 01:08:19 AM »

Hello everyone! Recently I bought this journal with an amazing cover, I bought it knowing that I could put lines on it, but HOW? This is where you lovely craftsters come in! I was hoping to use one of my mom's old scrap booking stencils, but alas! The space between the lines were too wide! Cry Am I doomed to just use a ruler and hope for the best?

Thanks so much in advance!
AmberKat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008 06:47:15 AM »

Make your own stencil? You can get full sheets of stencil plastic for making your own. A fresh exacto blade & a metal ruler to use with the exacto should give you a nice stencil. (obviously draw your lines on the stencil first).

Speaking of rulers, I have used exclusively for years the graph type, clear plastic with a 1/4" or 1/8" grid on them, knowing you are lining up things correctly by having a vertyical and a horizontal makes quick work out of otherwise tedious planning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewHelpMe
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008 06:55:35 AM »

I agree about making your own stencil.  Our Walmart has the blank stencil plastic.

You could also use a rubber stamp journal set like this one.  The lined stamp might be too small for your journal page, but the other stuff is kind of fun, and would take up some room on the page.

Writing straight isn't so hard if you practice, too.  I only buy unlined journals now because the lines bug me on lined journals (they're too far apart, like you said).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmberKat
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008 09:21:55 AM »

Thanks so much to both of you! I hadn't thought of making a stencil. Or using a rubber stamp. This helps so much! Cheesy

AmberKat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ViolentHippie7
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008 12:15:37 PM »

i don't know if you are going for an exactly precise look, but sometimes  when i want lines as a guide (i normally just go without)  i take a bright colour magic marker and draw them myself as straight as i can and write in between them, or if it is a light colour i write only where the marker is.  but it isn't very neat and tidy, just sort of cool looking afterwards.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperAddictC

Yoshitomo Nara rocks my world.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008 02:25:25 PM »

I can think of two options:

Stamping - use a line border stamp, or a jumbo wheel stamp - I got a wheel from Stampin' Up to make recipe cards - I just hate index cards with the blue lines.  Here's a link to their online catalog, and you'll find the wheel at the bottom of Page 132. It's called Dotted Lines.
http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/stampinup/index.aspx?pagename=shopmain&fsid=3982b4ae-8fdc-4092-a0db-70a48f0181a6&storeid=1038724&circularid=12339

The other option is to cover the pages with scrapbook paper/or a computer generated background paper. They have some cute lined paper patterns for scrapbooking, since office ephemera is a recent trend. You could cover each page - time consuming, I know, but it might look good.
I personally like unlined journals - just let your mind and hand wander all over the page. You could embellish the pages with stamps, stickers, scraps, etc. to add some flair.
Hope this was helpful - and hope you'll post whatever you decide to do.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008 02:26:55 PM by PaperAddictC » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmberKat
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008 04:43:30 PM »

Thanks so much for all your help! Cheesy I decided to go with just a clear ruler and a thin pen. It works well, and looked really clean once I got the hang of it! I haven't finished lining it yet, but will post pictures when I am for those that are interested. ^_^

Thanks again!
AmberKat Grin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008 04:58:59 PM by AmberKat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 9/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 8/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 7/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 3/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 11/12
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...