A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my dessert sushi, and how much i hate fruit rollups. lots of pics, a question.  (Read 7148 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

outoftheash

the crafty misadventures of the kate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2008 08:15:46 PM »

FINALLY, i made my candy sushi. 

i had been planning on making this for so very long now, so of course i had been planning on making the best candy sushi on all the intervebs.  le sigh.... oh well, it was fun and turned out well enough. 
i started with the following -
angel food cake / rice
fruit rollups / nori
fruit by the foot / nori
marshmallows / rice
kiwi, bananas, strawberries, mangoes, and some left over brownies / fishy bits!
swedish fish / more fishy bits!
cake decors, including odd little colored candies and colored sugar / roe

i quickly realized that fruit rollups were my enemy.  in the store, i could not find just green.  the only fruit rollups available were in a rainbow pack.  i also compromised and bought some fruit by the foot, which did not come in green but only in sickly marbled shades of blue and red, somewhat resembling rancid bacon, in terms of anything sushi like. 
still, i purchased the rainbow pack.  the first i tried to unroll was horribly stuck together, fell apart, total failure.  upon the final full unrolling of the second one, i realized they were covered in tongue "tattoos".  my sushi was now going to covered in cute cartoony images and sayings.  lovely. 
i persevered! 
next i realized that angel food cake was the WORST cake i could have used.  its very fuffy, dense is what i needed.  i smashed and smushed it, made it work.  layered w/ fruit like normal sushi, or as much as possible.
tried to roll up, but no!  the fruit roll up was stuck to the cutting board.  i peeled it up, barely kept it together, then saw that there were seams in it, where it split, and fell apart.  it died. 
next roll.
i learned from my mistakes, got it all together, went to cut it, and it split, shredded, squished, died a horrible neon death. 
attempt three!

i thought, i'll freeze it!  much easier to cut then, yes? 
NO!  the thing SHATTERED! 
i let the remaining few thaw for about 3 minutes, then ever so slowly saw through w/ a sharp bread knife. 
and it worked! eh, basically. 
the sushi bits that actually worked the best were w/ marshmallows. 

the bottom three on that are actually the fruit rollup pieces.  anyway.

i took two marshmallows, damped the ends, smushed em together, put a bit of fruit on top, wrapped w/ fruit by the foot.  voila!  is fabulous.  and actually rather tasty.  i also wrapped single marshmallows and bits of cake, topped w/ roe-esque candy.  these weren't quite as good as the fake fruity flavor was more... potent.  i also noticed the fruit by the foot and roll ups seemed to slowly dissolve over the course of the evening, perhaps from the moisture of the fruit? 
still, quite enjoyable, entertaining for all. 

my question to the world is this - what else can i use for the nori?  there simply must be a better alternative to fruit rollups.  they're too sticky, too flimsy, too disturbingly artificial and simply disgusting. 
any suggestions? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://noitsunconventional.blogspot.com/

"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live"
- Charles Bukowski
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008 08:39:19 PM »

Now I have no idea how these would work out whatsoever, so I'm not sure how much help this will be to you, but maybe marzipan or fondant for the nori?  I also remember making a dough that contained peanut butter, honey, powdered milk, powdered sugar, and maybe some other things when I was little.  Maybe you could dye that green and roll it out thin and use it as "nori". 

Or maybe try cutting around kiwis (like you're peeling them, not like you're slicing them so you can see the seeds) in super thin slices and using that as the pretend nori.  I've seen this done with cucumbers and avocadoes, so perhaps it can be done with fruit as well.

And I'm in love with the little marshmallow "sushis".  The swedish fish on the top of them crack me up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dez-igns
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008 08:42:22 PM »

wow those look good, your story sounds like something that would totally happen to me but I would have just thrown it away and swore for the rest of the night.  they turned out very yummy looking how crafty of you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So you, could spend the morning walkin with me, quite amazed. As I am unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed.
http://www.dezignsforkidz.etsy.com
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008 08:51:20 PM »

Yum yum!  What about Airheads for nori? I don't know if this is the correct brand but, Sour Punch Straws make a flat rectangle strip in sour apple that is green.  Thumbs up to your tasty sushi!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
shelleibean
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008 08:55:27 PM »

fruit -bu. grape.  i just read an article in the dentists office about this for kids. it's not green- but its realy dark like nori is really dark green, almost black.
and pound cake.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008 08:56:04 PM by shelleibean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008 05:58:16 AM »

What a fab idea.

How about rolled gumdrops for the nori.  I know it would not have the smooth sheen, but it would be easier to work with.  Perhaps as an inner nori layer, like for a california roll type.  Maybe tinted fondant....maybe fondant as outer rice layer with sprinkles as sesame seeds....now I'll be on mental lookout for dessert sushi items  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smudgycat
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008 08:21:21 AM »

Maybe treating it like fondant and using cornstarch to destickify it, and then using a bit of water at the edges to adhere it together.  A new paintbrush (for food only) can help get rid of the excess starch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
crafty_pixi
* Cupcake Crazy *

~obsessed with cupcakes~

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008 11:08:15 AM »

Wow! Frustrations aside, you did a GREAT job on those, they're beautiful.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"

embrace your creativity * discover your crafty side
pinkie_poh
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008 07:50:07 PM »

Very cool! I've been thinking about making some of these for a while. Not sure what else to use for the nori, but you can also use rice krispie square 'batter' stuff for the rice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

forcemajeure
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008 08:47:48 PM »

I second the Airheads - they are pliable, not sticky, you can flatten them out, and so on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Duffman - 21st Drawing
How to Draw Otto Mann - 29th Drawing
How to Draw Disco Stu - 43rd Drawing
How to Draw a Multi-Eyed Squirrel - 53rd Drawing
How to Draw Lisa Simpson - 14th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...