A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nametags for Camp!  (Read 1012 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PappyCat
« on: May 14, 2008 02:40:20 PM »

I work at a camp where we go by pseudonyms instead of our real names. A friend and I have made some for various friends and I wanted to share!

We cut the wood, sketched the design using carbon paper, painted it (multiple layers of paint for the best look) and than polyheurthaned it for durability. The roses on some of the nametags are given to us at camp, one for every year you've worked there.

My nametag! This is the first one I ever made. I made it in 2005.

Years later, a friend went as a counselor. He described his perfect nametag in passing (he relates to the Genie in Aladdin) and we decided that we HAD to make it for him. Took about 8 hours because we were SO meticulous about it. The picture shows his old nametag (made by himself) and the new nametag that we made for him. We didn't tell him we were making it and took him out for lunch one day. We made him get up to refill my soda, which he did begrudgingly and when he came back, the nametag was on the table. He did a happy dance for us right there in the restaurant. He loved it.

We enjoyed making it so much that we decided to make another for my friends boyfriend and for another mutual friend.
Yes, his camp name was Captain Jalepeno. This one was a pain to cut out, but it was a lot of fun to make. He loved it as well!

This one we decided to use a decoupaged image on it rather than paint this one. I tried to do Star Wars lettering on the name. This is one of the least successful ones of the bunch, but it was still loads of fun to do, and he really liked the end result.

Finally, we realized that we had made nearly everyone in our group of friends that were going to camp a nametag except this one person. SO, we went about making his. A very simple design, we felt it turned out nicely.

The funny thing is, the friend who helped me make these hasn't even gone to camp yet. Her first year as a counselor is this year (you have to be a senior in high school to go as a girl...There are less boys who volunteer, so they can often go as young as 10th grade.) I'm sure we'll have fun making HER nametag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandybles

I <3 my pooch.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008 03:07:50 PM »

Those are great! So cute and creative! I wish we'd had something like that back in my days at a camp instead of giant neon shoestrings. I can see why your friends love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazeme666

Go Brook Yourself!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008 11:16:19 AM »

SUCH a good idea!!
I definetley want to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PappyCat
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008 06:58:09 PM »

They are way fun to make and you can make them for other things (like signs for doors, etc) they don't just have to be nametags. I'm going to be making more this summer, so I'll be sure to post them!

Thanks for the nice comments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008 12:44:55 PM »

we do the same thing at my camp- except ours are leather circles and are all handpainted (thus, usually looking slightly wonky)  i wish i had a picture of mine...
i'm LOVING captain jalepeno!  what a great camp name.  and the gennie lamp looks really nice too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008 08:33:00 PM »

That's a cute idea! I wish they'd do that for the work study program at my school. I like the Chewbacca one the best. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elevator Makeover - Creating the Perfect Job Interview Look
Elevator Makeover - Dressing for a High School Reunion
Elevator Makeover - Dressing for a Job Search
Outfit of the Day: How a Professional Stylist Styles Herself
Elevator Makeover - Getting a More Flattering and Fit Look for the Office
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...