A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Various methods of basting a quilt sandwich  (Read 1323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AgnesB
« on: May 14, 2008 01:43:54 PM »

I just finished thread-basting my first full size quilt the past weekend and it took me forever (2 days) to finish plus giving me pain in the arms, butts and thighs.  I am thinking of other ways of basting.  I saw curved pins and basting gun in the store.  Before I invest in a new gadget, I'd like to know how other quilters do their basting and maybe a pointer as to the advantages and disadvantages of the other methods. 

Thanks very much for the input in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008 02:34:08 PM »

i tape my back to the dining room floor (thanks the gods for clear hockey tape) then i lay down my batting and top and pin baste with the curved quilters safety pins.

i love them.

buy more than you think you will need.  i seem to find them all over the house doing double duty everywhere.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
pertelot
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008 10:06:17 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA&feature=related
i found this the other day and she makes the hand basting look so easy that i may have to try it next time since im not too crazy about safety pins since they never seem to keep everything from bunching up enough for me... i use to pin my stuff to the floor (yay carpet!) to  put pins in. after that i tried taping the quilt to my dining room table with painters tape which seemed to work rather well, but you just have to be careful the tape doesnt pull too tight and stretch the back fabric, the table also made it much easier on the back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008 05:52:52 AM »

Quote from: sloth003
i tape my back to the dining room floor (thanks the gods for clear hockey tape) then i lay down my batting and top and pin baste with the curved quilters safety pins.

I do mine exactly the same as sloth003 and it works great for me!  I start at the center of the quilt and work my way outwards.  I use lots of pins because I think the more the better!  I've done all sizes this way and never had an issue with the back bunching and it's way faster than hand basting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grandmaluvs_alex
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008 07:37:15 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA&feature=related
i found this the other day and she makes the hand basting look so easy that i may have to try it next time since im not too crazy about safety pins since they never seem to keep everything from bunching up enough for me... i use to pin my stuff to the floor (yay carpet!) to  put pins in. after that i tried taping the quilt to my dining room table with painters tape which seemed to work rather well, but you just have to be careful the tape doesnt pull too tight and stretch the back fabric, the table also made it much easier on the back!

I'm thinking that I may try that myself. I'm a novice quilter and have only completed some small doll quilts at this point. I have a larger tied quilt that I just need to complete the binding on. Basting it was a nightmare for me. I have back issues and the only place I really had to do it was on the floor. Very painful for me!

Pins are absolutely out of the question for me. My daughter and 10 month old grandson live with me, and I just don't want to take any extra chances of him getting hold of a stray pin. It's hard enough to keep all of the other stuff away. I'm constantly checking all over to make sure I haven't dropped anything he can get hold of. He is a busybody for sure, lol!

So I might give those boards a try; that method looks like it would work great for me. There's even a hardware store nearby that sells lumber, so I should be able to find what I need there.

Thanks for sharing that link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AgnesB
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008 12:14:29 PM »

pertelot:  thanks a lot for the YouTube link.  I went on to explore more video tutorial on the site and learned a lot!

sloth003:  I think I would try pinning next time.  Good opportunity to use those 40% off coupon from JoAnn for lots of pin!  LOL!

grandmaluvs_alex:  I didn't have back problem but after basting the quilt for 1 day, almost every part of my body had problems!  LOL!  I have to do the basting on the floor too, but I think if I could have gotten the basting done faster, it wouldn't have been that bad.  Oh, and though I don't have any toddler or young kid at home, my husband would get really pissed if he got hurt by any sharp objects on the floor (he was almost stung by one of my pins embedded on the carpet once), so I need to be very careful too.   Cheesy

Thank you all so much for the input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KyTriplets
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008 05:43:28 AM »

My entire body would ache if I tried to baste a quilt on the floor.  OUCH!

Go to your local church, library or community center and ask to use a couple rectangular tables.  Push two tables together and tape your backing fabric down, wrong side up.  Lay out your batting and put the top on. 

I like the curved safety pins.  They are much easier on the hands.  Put the safety pins in but don't close them yet.  Closing them too soon make the fabric buckle and pucker. 

Once you have all the curved pins in, untape the backing fabric.  Then use a "Kwik clip" or a grapefruit spoon to close all the pins. 

I've basted a ton of quilts this way.  If you didn't want to use pins, you could baste with thread instead.

HTH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008 07:30:44 AM »

I like 3 placement methods and  2 "pinning" methods.

Placement:

1.) The floor.  My sister has a big screen TV so sometimes I go over and use her bigger living room and entertainment and enjoy an afternoon.

2.) A table I bought at Sam's club--it is an icky white-ish and adjustable in height.  I pop that baby to the top settings and drape the quilt over it.  Gravity is great for giving a smooth surface.

3.)  My shower rod.  Same as above but higher.  I might use straight pins to hold the top portion and let the rest hang.  An adjustable rod is great for this since you can raise and lower as needed.  It's really good when the eyes are wouldn't qualify as the newest set in the store also.

"Pinning"

1.)  Small projects--machine quilted/tacked baby quilts or lap quilts.  I often use pins.  They are handy and reusable and handy.  Did I mention handy?  If I am carrying it along for hand quilting, I might use safety pins.

2.) Water soluble thread
This is hard to find but oh-so-sweet when you do.  Baste you little heart out and don't worry about it.  Throw it in the washer when done and ta-da!  I also like it for "sampling" a seam that I am not sure will work when hand sewing.  I find that other basting threads sometimes fray and leave micro-strings behind that I can't remove.  No problem with this stuff.  It is also handy when your kid needs "that" costume and raids your fabric stash.  You can drape and sew and tack up all kinds of creations and then throw it in the washer when done and have your yardage back.

Side note:  Use a curved needle for basting.  The biggest gaudiest one you can find might be perfect.  (Mine came with its own little holding pouch.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
Homerof2

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008 08:40:56 AM »

BlondGirl, that shower rod method sounds interesting!  I might have to try it sometime.

A few of you sound like you use straight pins for basting - I've never heard of that before and I wonder if they actually stay in place.  I only use the curved quilters safety pins and they don't move.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008 08:41:33 AM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008 08:39:26 PM »

I tape the backing to the floor and use spray glue to baste. This requires knowing just the right amount of spray glue to add, but it works well. Having said that, I have never made a quilt bigger than twin sized.

The shower rod method does indeed sound interesting. How do you square everything with it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Encore: Basic Menu Functionality Lesson 3
Adobe Encore: Basic Menu Functionality Lesson 2
How to Create and Color Objects in Illustrator
How to Create and Color Objects in Illustrator Lesson 1
How to Navigate the Illustrator Interface Lesson 4
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...