A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charleston area crafts???  (Read 3769 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arrhythmia
« on: May 14, 2008 12:55:04 PM »

Hi, I'm not quite as active here recently, but wanted to get a bit of information. I'm considering a move to the Charleston area and wondered what you could tell me about the area as far as crafting groups, supply shops, brick and mortar shops to sell to, anything you can think of!! My stuff is primarily sewing, but I'm interested in the crafts community....more the merrier!! Is there any more hospitable section in and around Charleston for crafts?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drgdlg
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008 10:32:02 AM »

I live in the Charleston area.  The one thing I don't like about it here is there is no Joann's or Hobby Lobby, and I have yet to find a good thrift store I really like!!  I honestly just get my mom to buy most of my stuff and mail it to me.  There are some knitting groups I know of, but that's about all I can tell you.  I've lived here just over a year and moved form Atlanta, where I was def. spoiled by wonderful craft supply places!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog-- http://www.weeshare.net!
arrhythmia
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008 12:01:49 PM »

drgdlg - Thanks! That is good to know about! Maybe I can stock up on fabric before I come. I am sad to hear there is so little craft supply available!! Do you know if the walmart has a fabric section or has it closed??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kblackwellpix
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 07:47:16 AM »

there is a fabric store i think it is hancocks and there are a few small shops that have wonderful fabric. one of the in people places and quilts. there is a shop in downtown charleston as well as in summerville not far from charleston.. there are a few other small shops but those are the best
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrhythmia
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008 09:59:12 AM »

Thanks so much !! It seems like I'd better stock up before I get there ! I'll be on the look out for good places to get supplies I can drive to  on day trips. Thanks again !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009 09:30:42 PM »

Please post any new fabric store or other crafting information about the Charleston area. I'm still on the lookout, but not yet there. Sometime in the next month, I hope.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drgdlg
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009 01:11:00 PM »

I have moved to GA, but I did find that the Hancocks in North Charleston seemed to be the best for me.  I shopped there a lot when I was making my baby girl some things after she was born.  Some of the Wal-Marts still have fabric and some don't.  I remember that the one in North Charleston by the Tanger Outlets does not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog-- http://www.weeshare.net!
1watermonkey
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009 02:43:09 PM »

I live in Walterboro so my nearest place to get any crafting supplies is Charleston.  There are two Hancocks, one in Charleston and one in North Charleston and they have a decent selection.  There is also a Michaels and AC Moore.  Two of the Walmarts I have been to in Charleston still carry fabric too.  Smiley  My preferred fabric shop is Joanns though and the closest one to go to for me is Savannah, GA.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arrhythmia
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009 11:57:06 AM »

Thanks drgdlg ! I found the Walmart near the mall in N Chas where they sell fabric and there is a Hancocks there too !! Yay !

1watermonkey - I haven't found the other Hancocks...I'll have to check it out. Do the Michaels or AC Moores carry fabric ? I love JoAnne's too ! The one fabric store I found is a little slim on cottons...my preferred fabric. I hope to find more resources and post them here. Thanks a bunch !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1watermonkey
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009 12:19:52 PM »

The other Hancocks is on Sam Rittenburg Rd. in Charleston, it's on the same road as the Citadel Mall.  The Hancocks is in a shopping center with Barnes and Nobles, Blockbuster Video, Marshall's, and TJ Max.  This one has much more fabric selection than the one in N. Charleston, IMO, I buy mostly cotton as well and they seem to have a lot more.  Smiley  Sadly, the Michael's  and AC Moore do not carry any fabric other than fat quarters.  Several people have also told me there is a really nice quilting store in Summerville with some nice fabric, but I have yet to find it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to understand Photoshop
How to touch up a baby portrait in Photoshop
How to Use Basic Photoshop
How to Create the Best Baby photographs in Photoshop
How to Lighten Certain Areas of an Image
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...