A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wine Bottle lamp  (Read 6566 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

urnokey2myhart
Evolve

Cry, Love, Live Inbetween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 14, 2008 11:36:06 AM »

If your a wine-o like me, this is a great project for left over bottles that you want to keep, because, well they're pretty : ) I got the idea from my supervisor at work, whom I strive to be as crafty as!

Supplies:
Empty wine bottle (great excuse for an improptu wine party)
10 stand white christmas type lights
decoration (i used some simple plastic grapes I got at the Dollar Tree 4 for a dollar and some gold wire)
x-acto knife
hot glue

Place lights inside bottle, you may want to use a pen to help push the lights down to the bottom of the bottle.

Take decorations and if you can bend them so the can sit on the top of the bottle opening and hot glue in place

Take bottle cork and cut down the bottom a little, you want to create room so that when you place it back on the bottle there is room for the decorations and the crod for the lights.

Place cork on top and plug in! How easy!

and lit up

closer look:

pretty lable : )

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have the kind of beauty that    M  o  v  E  s . . .
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008 11:51:57 AM »

Fun! What a nice excuse to drink!!

Hmmm...I have a great bottle to do this to! Thanks for the great idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
dnagirl
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Shun the unbeliever..shuuuuu nn....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008 11:53:53 AM »

I love it! Great idea!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud to be a Beta Sigma Phi!
http://www.iamthysister.com

Don't apologize for your camera or bad photo skills! Learn to do better.
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008 12:03:39 PM »

Great idea -- perfect for my wine loving brother.  Now I'll have to figure out some way to get him to give me the empties of a few bottles he's particularly enjoyed withOUT telling him why (he's very suspicious and will know something's up; however, his birthday isn't until September so if I can get some from him soon maybe he'll have forgotten by then).

Am also thinking it would be nice to "decorate" the cord, since it comes out of the top of the bottle and is very visible.  Maybe just wrap some decorative wire around it, or, to go with the grapes, a vine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
urnokey2myhart
Evolve

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008 12:32:02 PM »

Great idea -- perfect for my wine loving brother.  Now I'll have to figure out some way to get him to give me the empties of a few bottles he's particularly enjoyed withOUT telling him why (he's very suspicious and will know something's up; however, his birthday isn't until September so if I can get some from him soon maybe he'll have forgotten by then).

Am also thinking it would be nice to "decorate" the cord, since it comes out of the top of the bottle and is very visible.  Maybe just wrap some decorative wire around it, or, to go with the grapes, a vine.

o0o I like that idea! I think i'm going to add on to it. Im sure theres got to be a way to drill a hole or something so the string can go through tho bottom and not the top, I jsut don't know how to do that, nor am I brave enough to try...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008 12:37:57 PM »

Oh, I like it, very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
shootingstar
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008 01:46:06 PM »

o0o I like that idea! I think i'm going to add on to it. Im sure theres got to be a way to drill a hole or something so the string can go through tho bottom and not the top, I jsut don't know how to do that, nor am I brave enough to try...

Try using a dremel, with one of the little round metal cutting heads (not the sanding ones or the flat cutting ones.)  But try it on a different bottle, first, so if it doesn't work.... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lord, show me your ways. Teach me how to follow you.  Guide me in your truth. Teach me. You are God my Savior.  I put my hope in you all day long.
-Psalm 25:4-5

PM me if you want to swap!  I need some stitch markers...

Finally got one...
http://www.wists.com/shootingstar320
urnokey2myhart
Evolve

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008 04:37:03 AM »

Try using a dremel, with one of the little round metal cutting heads (not the sanding ones or the flat cutting ones.)  But try it on a different bottle, first, so if it doesn't work.... Undecided

hmmm, not sure what that is. should I go to a craft store or would an art store be better? You know how they often have over lapping items, but a very different selection at the same time.... Thanks for the advice!! I ahve plenty of time to experiment before christmas this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shootingstar
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008 12:44:40 PM »

Try the hardware store.  It's a little handheld tool with a rotary head that you can use to cut, sand, polish, grind, etc...  You can get all kinds of different heads that do different things.  It's not cheap, but you can use it for so many things.  I love mine (meaning hubby's Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lord, show me your ways. Teach me how to follow you.  Guide me in your truth. Teach me. You are God my Savior.  I put my hope in you all day long.
-Psalm 25:4-5

PM me if you want to swap!  I need some stitch markers...

Finally got one...
http://www.wists.com/shootingstar320
jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008 11:02:27 AM »

Great idea.  For anyone who's wondering how to drill through glass . . . I made a wine bottle table lamp ages ago (sorry, no pics, was xmas gift).  Fortunately for me, my dad had a drill-press, and I got a glass-drilling bit for it (kinda spade shaped, don't remember if it was a diamond drill bit or not)  The most important things to remember while drilling are, one, go slowly, as the bit and the glass will get hot . . . two, stop frequently, so that the glass isn't put under too much stress at one time (might make it crack) and three, try to have an extra bottle or two to experiment on, so you get a feel for it.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean White Shoes
Rihanna Wins Battle Against Topshop
5 Fashion Items Worth the Splurge
Best Shorts For Your Shape
Rachel Bilson Wears Sparkly 3.1 Phillip Lim at TCA 2013 Summer Party
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...