A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,904
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Small Motifs On Cheap-y Towels  (Read 1110 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2008 10:25:43 AM »

Hi everyone,

I made the mistake of buying these cheaper flour sack towels. I still will use them and of coarse wanted to embellish them a bit.  Smiley All free motifs off the internet. I used a wash away quilting pen which works great. Thanks for looking.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbethie
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008 11:30:28 AM »

I like the duck and the smiling snail the best!  They are all cute though!

Which "cheap" flour sacks did you buy and why weren't you pleased with the?  I've bought a couple of Aunt Martha ones that I've laundered (I have yet to stitch on them) but I was pleased that they weren't super duper wrinkly when they came out of the dryer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008 12:38:24 PM »

Thanks beth.  Smiley

These were a pack of Walmart towels. I should have known. They stitched up pretty well but i would not have wanted to put a larger motif on them.

I then bought some Martha Stewart towels at Kmart and was pleased with how they washed but have not stitched on them yet.

If you have a dollar store near you I have bought some towels there that wash and shrink up well and are good to embroider on but they are a slightly looser weave than the flour sack towel.

These towels from a previous post of mine are done on dollar store towels. Second picture. I have since found some more that are a little different but washed up well also. Hope this all helped.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=190521.msg2001629#msg2001629

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008 12:41:33 PM by Teresa_T » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbethie
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008 12:55:52 PM »

Ah, Wallyworld.  Some people love it, some people hate it.  I'm guessing your bought Wal-marts private brand of tea towels?  Target has their own line called 'basic' (I think) and they carry flour sacks (bigger than 28x28!), white cotton napkins, and pillow cases in assorted colors.  I have embroidered on Target's napkins and pillow cases before and they laundered well and were nice for stitchin'.  And the recipients were pleased with their gifts Wink 

I saw the Martha Stewart tea towel's at K-mart and was happy to note they were a bit smaller than the 28x28 Aunt Martha towel's but was disappointed that instead of being packaged nicely in a bag like the AM ones, the MS ones were shot through a few times with those plastic hookey things to keep them together.  I noticed the plastic hookey thing made a few teeny tiny holes in the fabric.  Did your teensy holes come back together in the wash?

Those dollar store towels are nice, esp with the stripey/plaidish border around the edge.  I like your 'moo cow' one the best!  I do live near a $ store and will have to check out their kitchen linen section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiekutthroat
one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008 12:58:05 PM »

i love the duck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008 01:11:46 PM »

Oh P.S.  Can you please tell me the brand of the wash away quilting pen you used and where you bought it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008 01:39:41 PM »

yes, those plastic things horrified me also. The good news is they did not seem to tear any of the threads on the towels and the holes disappeared with washing. It doesn't mean that a permanent hole could not be made sometimes. I too wish they packaged them differently.

Thanks for the tip on the Target products. I'll check them out also. The dollar store does not always have embroidery appropriate towels. I check the store from time to time as it's by my bank.

I don't have the package anymore from the marking pen. On the actual pen it's marked "EZ INTERNATIONAL Japan" It's blue, marks in blue and I purchased it at a quilt shop. It rinses out instantly just under the faucet when you are done embroidering. If I remember right though the package stated it could become permanent if left on the fabric over two weeks. I trace my patterns by using my coffee table. I'm lucky that it's all glass and steel so I can make a light box out of it.

Thanks Katie!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008 01:41:19 PM by Teresa_T » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbethie
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008 01:58:31 PM »

Thanks for understanding about the plastic things!  I was thinking I was crazy and you wouldn't get what I meant!  Still, perhaps I'll try the MS tea towels sometimes.  I'm a sucker for the AM tea towels cuz occasionally hobby lobby e-mails me a 40% coupon so then they end up being a real deal! 

Thanks for the info about then pen.  I'll have to do some investigating.  However, my gnome tea towel project has taken me about 3+ weeks already since I'm not working on it everyday etc... it would be sad for the market to become permanent.  I think I might try picking up a pack of crayola washable markers and experimenting with them.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_teacup_
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008 05:11:08 PM »

I like the designs you used--especially the pitcher/juicer and the snail. The bull makes me think of you doing a astrological series!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008 07:06:23 PM »

I love the cow. Very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will Bunch Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Danny Tobey Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Jessica Burkhart Talks About Take the Reins
The Monstrumologist Book Trailer
A Loving Tribute to E. Lynn Harris
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...