A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,789
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Not a funny joke! (I just got a serger)  (Read 1879 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2008 09:15:49 AM »

My husband got me a serger for my first Mother's Day (what a sweet guy)!  I took the video out today because I'd read that they're tough to thread...  TOUGH?!?!!?!  Are you kidding me?  Two minutes into the video and I kept thinking that it had to be a joke!  "thread it through the lower looper threader, into the left loop hook..." blah blah blah....  My girl is going to be out of high school before I figure this thing out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
dasbani
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008 09:22:15 AM »

Congratulations on machine AND man *g* Smiley
I bought one last year as well and I have to say, I couldn't live without it any more *g*
Which one do you have?
And its really not that difficult to figure out, how it works... You'll see, in a few days, you'll gonna laugh about all those problems Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008 12:03:13 PM »

The previous poster must have the BabyLock with the Easy Threader feature. Yes, it's a serious PITA to thread a serger, it just takes lots & lots of practice.

There IS a shortcut if it's threaded correctly & you need to simply change colors: cut the threads off down just above the cones, switch your new cones in place & tie them to the old threads. Carefully pull through. You might need to pop the threads up above the tension disks to get the knots past them, just don't forget to push your threads back down into the tension disks.

I wrote on my serger in pencil which thread needed to be done first, second, third & fourth- order is very important. If thread #2 breaks? yup, gotta rethread 2, 3 & 4.

I found the video very daunting as well, my service guy talking me through it taught me much better that the video.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dasbani
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008 12:37:37 PM »

The previous poster must have the BabyLock with the Easy Threader feature. Yes, it's a serious PITA to thread a serger, it just takes lots & lots of practice.
Hm? Me? Nooo, I've got a Pfaff Hobbylock 4764 Smiley No easy threader feature... its just a thing of practice and will.
It took me about one week, till I really loved the serger.
Everything you sew looks much more professionell and proper with it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008 02:31:42 PM »

This may have been a mistake...  I don't even know how to use it once it's threaded and I don't know what tension discs are to do it the "easy" way.  I guess I have to stop being afraid and figure it out though or I'll hurt my husband's feelings!!

Please at least tell me that once it's set up it's similar to a sewing machine to use...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008 02:53:38 PM »

Oh yeah, that part is easy Smiley
Sergers are a ton faster than most machines, the finished look of the seams can't be beat, and dangit if it isn't a lot more space efficient that most machines Smiley You can't do everything on a serger, it does not replace a standard machine for top stitching, decorative stitches, basting, button holes, or any sewing more than 6 inches into a garment (if at all, my cutter is permanent so I cannot do anything without cutting).

When I do things like twirly skirts I do all my block assembly on the serger, baste on the regular machine so I can gather my teirs (yes, I know you can gather on a serger- I've never mastered figuring out how to get it to gather to the specific length I need), then sew the tiers on the serger, hem on the regular machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008 06:24:46 AM »

yeah threading a serger is a major pain in the tuckus.  I have a Viking and it has a color guide and part of it self threads near the blade.  I've had the machine for 4 or 5 years now and I STILL have to look at the manual when I re thread.  I was afraid to use the machine for a very long time.  It's one of those things where you just gotta bite the bullet and go for it.  Yes, sergers cost a lot of money and there is that fear of breaking something that is expensive, but the machine is already bought and you wont save the money that is already spent by not using it. (At least that is what i had to keep telling myself when i first got my machine.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008 07:17:14 AM »

I didn't have a choice in learning a serger, I was hired to make dresses in a shop & when I arrived she said "have you ever used a serger?" At least my first week I had an experienced person right there next to me pointing things out & guiding me.

I still do those same stupid dresses too. Now I go pick up the fabric, do them here at home & deliver the finished dresses back to the shop. It's seasonal work, once or twice a year, I could do them in my sleep now! Cheesy After 500+ dresses (that's 6 years worth) I'm pretty comfortable with the serger. The first time I did them at home? I was pretty stressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angeltreats
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008 02:29:21 PM »

When I got my serger I watched the DVD before I even tried out the serger and it terrified me.  I don't think I touched the serger for about a week, out of fear.  In reality the DVD made it seem an awful lot more complicated than it really is.  Threading it doesn't bother me at all anymore, although getting a nice tension can still be a challenge at times.  (Currently for a wide 3 thread overlock my tension dials are at 4-4-7 which I'm sure is not normal.)

I still don't use it as much as I should though, I always do my seams on the regular machine and finish them with the serger, instead of just sewing them with the serger.  Stupid I know but it's a habit I can't seem to break.

When I took a sewing class I was absolutely terrified of the industrial sergers.  They were much scarier (and speedier) than my tiny little Janome. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananabanana
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008 05:25:41 AM »

It took me at least 40 minutes to thread mine the first time....I didn't realise for a long time that there is a hinge near the back so the base opens out like a cupboard door.
It was very frustrating. But I understand how to do it now so I guess it was worth the brainstrain.
Good luck..it is worth perservering.

PS my auntie has TWO overlockers: one threaded with black thread and one with white so she never has to change colour. Yikes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do an Easy Updo Hair Style
How to Syle Your Hair Quickly
How to Blow Dry Bangs
How to Create Tight Curls With a Hair Straightener
How to Get Wavy Hair with a Curling Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...