A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Guineapigarium  (Read 2782 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_cage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2008 08:10:01 AM »

My husband and I have wanted guineapigs since we first moved in together, but having only lved in apartments in the last 3 years we thought it too cruel, after all you cant lower them out of a second floor window to eat the grass now can you?!
we now have a house. yes it's still rented, but it's hopefully long term.

So Hubby decided to re-purpose an old fireguard and I did the same to an untreated wooden box with a hinged lid.

it's a guineapig habitat!!

the house box:

made from wood, the lid is then coated in some of the wood-effect vinyl flooring left over from our bathroom re-decoration. the latch was found in the shed and is there to stop them opening the lid. It's also had silicone sealant (bathroom again) put round where the panels of wood don't meet well and would have caused drafts.

guineapig-eye-view

finally, our babies:
Phillip

and the one our dauughter named; Chocolate. I asked her what she wanted to call both guineapigs and she said "brown one, chocolate. mine." so it stuck. she's two and a half.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
boxercurl
Wist Stalker

Boxers are the clowns of the K-9 world

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008 08:16:05 AM »

How neat, do they live outside or is that just their vacation spot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ask for so little...just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.

Boxers are the BEST!!!
www.wists.com/boxercurl
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008 08:31:58 AM »

they live outside. they'll be inside in the colder months.
i just keep looking at them 'cos they're so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008 08:40:22 AM »

Great! I'm so happy they have an abundance of yummy grass to nibble on. My mother's current guineas are named Mocha and Cow. (Cow is very neurotic... mad-cow, get it?). Both males, which is different for us because we only ever had pairs of females before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008 09:02:35 AM »

Very luxurious!  You have lucky guinea pigs!  And who doesn't like to Phillip with Chocolate? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixelpup2001
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008 09:23:25 AM »

cute...I just found out last week that my neighbor let their guinea pig free in their backyard.(I don't agree with that, I believe in giving them a safe place like you have.) But what is interesting is that this guinea pig has made tunnels all around the border of their yard and pops in and out to get food that they put out and is just living "free". He also says it's  too fast for cats but I'm not too sure about that. So watch out for tunnels to freedom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

urbanchic1212
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008 10:28:49 AM »

oooo this is sooo cute i love it so much. your pigs are sooo cute i love chocolates little hair puff on the top of his head and his color is beautiful so is phillips. they look like the have fun out there
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reality is for people lacking an imagination.
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008 09:52:08 AM »

So watch out for tunnels to freedom.

they'd have a job, 4-6in down it's hardcore rubble under that topsoil!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiss_liss
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008 10:17:15 PM »

This is really nice run for two very cutie piggies Smiley. It's great you recycled that firegard, it looks like the perfect size/strength for the job!

I'm not trying to force any views on you or anything, but piggies have such wonderfully diverse and intelligent personalities, and adore being part of the family and interacting with everyone inside the house, just like a dog or cat. Having my piggies indoors (I have 6 now so they have their own bedroom LOL), means I don't miss any of their crazy antics, which I'm sure they show mainly because they know they are safe from the stresses of outside.

My parents bought me and my sister two little piggies when we were kids (one was called coco haha because thats what I came up with for a little brown pig), and we kept them in a cage inside the house simply because we lived in a farm area with lots of snakes and nasty predators around.  Anyway, little fluffy lived to a nice old age of 10, and my baby cokie only passed away last year, and she was about 11 and a half years old.  To give non-piggie people some idea of things I think the average lifespan of piggies is around 4-6 years, and the world record is around 13 I think. I really believe they lived so long because we kept them indoors, but I think genes may have played a part as well (they were sisters).

A great resource for making nice indoor piggie cages and other info is http://www.guineapigcages.com/, the site generally advocates keeping piggies inside year-round, but sometimes that's really not practical (renting, space etc.) I would be wary of posting on the forums there however, as there are some people with very extreme views on piggy parenting, ready to shout down anyone who admits to keeping their pigs outside/giving them pig mixes/whatever else they don't believe in. They do mean well, but it's difficult to portray that over the internet I guess. In any case, that website has very accurate information on piggie care and such things; there is a lot of mis-information out there.

Anyway, sorry to get rather off-topic, but feel free to PM me if you want to talk any more, so as to not hijack this thread any more than I already have hehe  Grin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

,,`.Melli .`,,
thief
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008 08:12:33 PM »

I agree with Kiss_Liss; I don't know how cold it gets at night 'round your parts, but guinea pigs shouldn't be in areas less than 65F and more than 75-80F.. You could end up with some very sick piggies keeping them in the extreme temperatures of the outdoors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Amy
[and Abbey, Bella, Natasha, Milo, Ferdie, Olive, Sophie-Mo, Laika and Winston]

I make snuggly things for snuggly beasts.
etsy: http://silverbeatshop.etsy.com
blog: http://tashastails.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chris Matthews on Politics and His Book Tip and the Gipper
Debora Spar LIVE
Top 10 Romeo and Juliet Trivia
Courtney Thorne Smith on the New Atkins Made Easy
Greg Sestero on The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...