A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New straps on flip flops  (Read 1531 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ancelyna
« on: May 14, 2008 07:41:51 AM »

Hey there!

I have a pair of really cute flip flops, the regular rubber kind. The only problem is one of the rubber straps came halfway out of the hole that holds it in place. It can be pushed back in but it will come out again when walking and it is causing immense pain and blisters  Grin. I don't want to throw them away as I have only used them a few times and the soles have very cute cherries on them. I would love to replace the old rubber straps with new fabric straps, but how do I secure the new straps to the sole? The only thing coming to mind would be using buttons, but I'm not sure how durable they would be. I would hate to spend time remaking them only get to wear them twice. So, does anyone have any good advice for me?

I tried looking for some tutorials but all I could find was how to decorate the straps in place  Sad

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizthecraftybitch
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008 10:02:43 AM »

i would suggest that you use some super glue or other strong glue to try to hold your current straps in place. Putting in new fabric straps would require a two-layered sole, because the fabric would be secured between the layers (so that it's not visible and the soles stay pretty). i guess you could try slicing the soles somehow (in fact they might already be two layers). but that could be risky if you really do like the soles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frankeknitter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010 06:33:35 PM »

Buy some inexpensive insoles cut it to match your flip-flop,cover it in fabric, make straps, and then using 2 part epoxy adhesive glue it together.
I did this to old platform flip-flops. will post in future
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nightlilly
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012 11:25:22 AM »

I have really wide feet so I've done this every summer. I buy cheap rubber flip-flops and buttons that are the same size as the round peg things on the bottom. I also make sure that the ribbon I use is wide enough to cover the button and I used a glue, like rubber cement, that wont get hard and crack.

I cut the rubber straps off and removed the round plug things on the bottom. Then I take a good length ribbon and fold it in half and put the fold through the hole that's between your toes on the flip-flop.

On the back side of the flip-flip, slide the button through the loop created by that fold you just pushed through. Pull the ribbon tight from the other side so that the button and ribbon covering slide back into the hole and sit flush with the bottom of the flip-flop.

Now you should have 2 lengths of ribbon coming from the toe hole on top. You can pull these straight up and wrap an inch or so with embroidery thread or something to make the straight toe piece but I just don't have patience so I don't bother with it. Take each side, fold the ends and push them through each hole on either side of the flip-flop. Don't put the buttons in and pull them tight just yet. Make sure you try it on and adjust the ribbons to your foot. Once you know you have it adjusted, you can slide the buttons in and pull them tight. Make sure you stand and walk in them a little so that you know it's a good fit.

After you have the ribbons adjusted comfortably, get your glue. Pull the button covered ribbons out enough to get some glue into the hole behind them, then pull them back tight. Cover them from the outside (sole-side) with a good amount of glue so that once you start wearing them the glue protects the ribbon from being worn through.

You should still have two bits of ribbon left sticking out of the top sides. Just trim them off and you're ready to go.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Colored Hair Extensions Add A Splash Of Style: Hair Tips
Product Review: Agadir Argan Spray Oil
Top Hair Resolutions for the New Year
DIY: How To Make Creaseless Hair Ties And Head Bands
How to Get a 1940s Wave
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...