A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nickel Dog Quilt  (Read 1665 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 13, 2008 05:39:40 PM »

I have been working on this for what seems like forever! (March) My little brother is having a babyhad a baby this past Thursday.  They love dogs and wanted to do their nursery in dogs.  I found this pattern Nickel Dogs (http://www.meandmysisterdesigns.com/patterns.asp) and thought it was the perfect match. I used the Strawberry Lemonade and Brights fabric line from Moda.  I absolutely love the Strawberry Lemonade fabric.  I want a picnic quilt made of this!
It is a quilt of may firsts for me:  first quilting not just tying!; first time using binding; first time using a pattern.  I learned to use thread that matches the binding-I tried invisible thread but it kept breaking. Sad  There are several mistakes, but it is done!  I hope they like it-and if I find out that they are letting their 4 huge dogs sleep on it, I will cry.  I just hope they love it.

Here are the numerous pictures:

Since the quilt is all about dogs, here is my obligatory dog picture.  It is in the forties here today-hence the t-shirt.  Smiley

I quilted around all the dogs in the ditch and then around all the borders.  Here is a question for all of you accomplished quilters:  The green border is about five inches wide.  Do I need to quilt it?  I don't have either a darning foot or walking foot so I was trying not to but if I need to I will.  My machine is old and I am not sure if the feet they have in the store will fit. Sad  (I used weed trimmer wire linked between two plant holders and binder clips to hang this quilt in my backyard! )

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008 05:45:04 PM by audrey1999 - Reason: photobucket won't flip my pictures! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
serendipity_sarah
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008 05:59:18 PM »

That quilt is so cute!  I love all the fun bright colors you used for the little doggies.  I'm by no means an expert but, I don't think (structurally) you need to do any additional quilting unless you want to add some extra details. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dcowherd
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008 06:06:14 PM »

It's gorgeous!  As long as your batting doesn't need the quilting for stability you don't need to quilt the borders if you don't want to.  Old quilts needed close quilting because the batting would break apart and clump up.  Most modern batting is stable enough without it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008 07:12:54 PM »

That is soooooooooooooooooo adorable!!!!! You did an amazing job!!!! 

You say it's your first quilt, was it terribly difficult?

I've never made a quilt, but after seeing this one - I want to try it!

I have a new machine with all the feet you can imagine that is nagging me to be used.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
Linnybelle
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008 07:14:29 PM »

I agree with dcowherd about the batting.  It looks like you've done enough quilting to me.  I'm still new to this myself however.  The quilt looks wonderful!  I love the bright colors and it's perfect for a baby.  I also like how the rows are staggered, it gives it that little something extra.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
Padester
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008 07:22:16 PM »

Beautiful!  Quilts like yours continue to give me added incentive to some day try a quilt . . . One of these days!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audrey1999

I think I have become addicted to quilting.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008 07:41:31 PM »

Thank you for all of the kind comments!  I have made small quilted pillows, rag quilts, and tied quilts before but this was my first completely patched and quilted quilt by me. 

I really don't want to quilt that last green border, so thank you for your information Linnybelle, dcowherd, and serendipity_sarah!  I think it will be okay, but after so much work wanted confirmation!  Plus, it is a gift so...I don't want it to fall apart.

I love these bright fabrics too, seredipity_sarah!  I bought an extra charm pack of the strawberry lemonade that I can't decide what to use for-maybe a picnic quilt?  (I don't know why photobucket won't flip the picture with my dog correctly in the link when in the original it is correct! sigh..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Attention swap partners! My blog and flickr have spoilers! 
http://audreypawdrey.blogspot.com
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008 02:58:45 PM »

I love your quilt.  The doggies are SO cute.  I bought a charm pack of strawberry lemonade - but I haven't decide what to do with it.  I'm thinking about placemats - but how many placemats does a girl need?

As for quilting the border, it really depends on the batting.  If you still have the packaging - check to see if it state how close you have to quilt it.  Old fashioned quilts had to be quilted  really, really close or the batting would bunch up.  Newer battings bunch a whole lot less, but most still require quilting - like every 8" or so.  Double check so you won't have any regrets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008 06:16:32 AM »

I love this quilt!  Subject, layout and color combo.  Esp the colors.  The whole thing just makes me smile.  If your friends dont absolutely love it they are bonkers!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Face Paint Tools
How to Face Paint a Butterfly
Finishing Face Paint Touches on the Butterfly
Watercolor Painting: Preserving Whites
How to Paint Skies with Watercolors
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...