A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: breakfast ideas??  (Read 4757 times)
Tags for this thread: salad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LeesaLove
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2008 10:04:49 AM »

I haven't read all the posts, smimmed, so some of these might already be here.

Add veggies in unexpected places, make muffins use applesauce in place of most of the oil. add some shredded carrot as well as fruit that the kids like. soak rasins, dried cherrys, etc in a splash of juice for a few mins before adding to batter & baking.

make smooties with some added carrot juice.

cottage cheese or yogurt layered with fruit & dry cereal (cheerios, rice crispies, grape nuts, cinnamon taos crunch, life).

mix  cereals one part plain cerreal (cheerioes, puffed rice or rice crispies.)
one part  frosted flakes or frosted mini wheats
one part sweet cereal (lucky charms, fruit loops etc.)     makes the cereals go a lot farther & gives better nutrition & less sugar.)

make waffels, pancakes, french toast etc in large batches. let cool, bag in indvidual servings in zip lock bags (then reuse the bags each time you do this!!)  put the pancake in toaster to heat through then make a sandwich with it. good fillings are cream cheese or peanut butter with sliced fruit. I love mini wholegrain pancakes with crunchy peanut butter & sliced bannanas. =)  yummy!!

Breafkast dosen't have to be breakfast foods...

a tortilla with melted cheese (in microwave or a dry skilit) with some fruit & a glass of milk is easy  & fast. Not a pretty rounded meal too.

make extra baked potatoes when you make your dinner. have those in the mornig heated in microwave with some cheese & salas or a little tomoate sauce.

pizza heated in the oven is a tasty breakfast.  or make english muffin pizzas inthe morning. I like to toast the uffins a little first then add a bit of sauce, some cheese, what ever else youlike then back in the oven or toaster oven.

i still will have left over mashed potoaes heated in mircrowave with a little cheese on top for breakfast. I love to mix mashed potatoes with mixed frozen veggeis top wiht a litlte parm or shredded cheddar & nuke till warmed through.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008 10:11:32 AM by LeesaLove » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008 10:15:01 AM »

Pancake sandwiches sound delicious. My mom always froze the extra waffles and stuff. Sometimes when I go home she still does so I can take real breakfasts back to school with me. I also think that English muffin pizzas sound delish. Or a bagel pizza would be good too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008 11:37:29 AM »

I knew this group would have fabulous ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
LeesaLove
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008 11:19:41 PM »

i thought of a few more...
This sounds weird, but it is pretty good.
When I used to sleep pover at a feinds house she was one of 8 kids, her mom made great breakfasts.
This was one of may favs:
She would put a contaner of cottage cheese & contaer or ricotta cheese in a sive to drain for a few mins. then blend in the the blander with fruit usually  starawberries & a banana or two ( good way to use fruit starting to get too ripe too). She would use this as a dip for sliced fruit or french toast sticks or toast sticks.

I remember her giving us air popped popcorn mixed with dreid rasins & dreid cherries too. Really tasty.

also my gram used toi make up fruit pizzas. a toated english muffin topped wiht cream cheese & apple slices.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Poppa
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008 03:06:09 AM »

This may sound weird, but when I was a kid, I loved it when my grandma would fix me a bowl of white rice with butter.  (I didn't like cereal or oatmeal, so this was a compromise).  You could also serve it with cinnamon and sugar, or probably many other toppings depending on taste.

It would be easy to make a big batch of rice and then freeze individual portions to use over time . . . a couple minutes in the microwave and breakfast would be ready. 

That's not weird. Cheesy
If there's ever leftover rice from dinner the night before, I warm it in a bowl in the microwave with some olive oil or butter and have that for breakfast. Yummmyyy.
Also, when I was in Japan, there was always sticky rice to go along with the other breakfast foods. It's good because it keeps you full until lunch. ;]

Other things that are good for breakfasts:
Pitta bread sliced into fingers with houmous for dipping. Make your own houmous or choose one with peppers or roasted veg to make it a little more interesting. It's nice to have some fresh fruit salad in a bowl on the side with this, too.

Toast or a mini bagel with peanut butter and sliced banana. This fills you up and tastes lovely, I think. <3

Small sandwiches. I know sometimes I don't feel like proper breakfast food and just want a nice ham and cheese sandwich or something. I don't like to eat a whole one, instead take one slice of bread and use it to make a half sandwich. Then you have room for grapes, apple, or other fresh fruits to go with it.

Another thing that is good for getting small kids to eat is to display it cutely/prettily. My little brother is happier to eat if it looks colourful and tasty. You could buy a couple of cute bento boxes, some picks and divider cups, and see if presenting things in an interesting way encourages them to try new things/eat stuff they wouldn't normally like. I don't have photos of my own bentos on this computer, but here are some photos of breakfast bentos that someone on another forum makes for her two little daughters:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008 04:47:43 AM »

wow rice  I love it never thought about trying that on them DUH!
oh and Poppa your daughters stuff looks great! very eye appealing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Poppa
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008 09:01:25 AM »

Haha, not my daughters! I'm not nearly old enough. :]
But yeah, her stuff looks awesome.

And rice is definitely good! Had some from last night just this morning. You could also try putting a little bit of tomato sauce on top, or adding some of that Swiss bouillon powder to the water when you cook it, so the rice isn't so bland (that's what my mum does, and it tastes really good, especially after reheating.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Karonm1
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008 05:50:32 PM »

My kids are now 21 & 25 But  they hated breakfast foods for breakfast -  BUT they ate "backwards" meals with NO PROBLEMS -  in other words pizza for breakfast  regular lunch fare for lunch  and Classic breakfast foods for dinner worked great and they still do the same for themselves and they live away from home - just an idea to share -- I was pretty easy with them on food issues ( if hungry eat )- and surprise no one has any eating disorders or unhealthy habits  - Karon
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirchita

somewhere over the rainbow....

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2008 12:40:30 AM »

do you prepare rice with milk in the states? (arroz con leche) here is a traditional dessert, but I used to serve it as a breakfast. because my daughter doesnt like many foods, I tried to figure the recipe, but I realize that I dont have enough english vocabulary for that, I am sorry. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeesaLove
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008 11:02:55 PM »

I asked my sis in law what my niece & nephwe eat for breakfast.
On the days she is off she makes a hot breakfast, pancakes or french toast with a little fruit sald. & a slice of fried ham or a slice or two of baccon.
OR Scrambled eggs with dice mushrooms, celcery & cheese. She said the kids love the celery, she thows it in last few seconds of coking dices very small.

Or sdays when seh works it;s more simple.
Applaause over otamel with a few rasins, vanilla pudding cooked hte night beofre with sliced apple to dip in it.
pizza heated in toaster oven with a few rasins on the side.

SHe said my nephew LOVES if they have beef stew he like a piece ro two of stew meat shreded & mix into scrammbled eggs wiht a couple of the mushrooms deiced in as well.   ... i would have never have thought of that one!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 3/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 4/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 5/5
Learn a Cool Effect for Your Pictures in Photoshop Cs4
How to Make a Polaroid Image in Photoshop Cs3 Cs4
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...