A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: breakfast ideas??  (Read 4385 times)
Tags for this thread: salad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 13, 2008 10:28:57 AM »

ok I am a SAHM with 2 kids.
breakfasts are our battle. please throw some ideas my way for breakfasts that aren't too terribly time consuming.
they only eat eggs if I force them cause tehy don't like them. no matter how I make them.   

here are things we already do (but are tired of)
Breakfast wedges (the old recipe that came with the sandwhich machines years ago)
cereal, pop tarts, breakfast burritos, pancakes, waffles, french toast, bacon and eggs, or sausage gravy sometimes. 

anyone else know of anything different?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008 10:35:01 AM »

growing up we had toast, cereal or porridge on school mornings and we ate it because we knew that we wouldn't be getting anything more till lunch time
on a weekend we had to usual choices plus sometimes bacon sandwiches or sometimes a full english.
but if you want to jazz things up a bit try including chopped fresh fruit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008 12:11:23 PM »

fruit is good idea...usually that is the in between meal snacks. but could  change and make that a meal and different  snack.  good  idea  thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
ica171
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008 03:39:11 PM »

How about oatmeal?  It's especially good if you do the overnight crockpot oatmeal with steel cut oats.  There's also French toast casserole, which is something you make the night before and cook in the morning.  (I believe it's basically French toast in a casserole dish that's soaked overnight, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.)  Would they eat eggs if they were on a breakfast sandwich?  Toast or refrigerator biscuits, fried egg, sausage, bacon or Canadian bacon, maybe with a slice of cheese on top.  My kids love those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Raziele
Mom to my baby girls!

My baby girls!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008 03:53:12 PM »

My girls LOVE toaster scrambles, bagels and cream cheese, (try the strawberry cream cheese to make it even tastier!) My 5 year old likes the breakfast cereal bars also. Those breakfast skillets are awesome also, Hope this helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008 07:26:48 PM »

you all are great!  thanks!  keep them coming!
I have tried the breakfast casserole  things they don't like them I love them.
egg sandwhiches are a never thing thanks.
oatmeal we eat sometimes casue one likes it and one doesn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irismooninthecity
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008 11:30:53 PM »

Oh! Oh! One of my family's favourite breakfasts is my homemade muesli. I make a huge batch and it lasts several breakfasts. Here's the recipe, adapted from my uncle's recipe, which was originally from the back of some cereal box.

5 cups bran flakes
4 cups corn flakes
1 cup oats
2 cups rice crispies
3/4 cup raisins
1/3 cup dried cranberries
2-3 rings dried pineapple, chopped small
7-8 chunks dried papaya, chopped small
2-3 wedges dried mango, chopped small
5-6 pitted dates, chopped small
1/4 cup shredded coconut

Just mix it all up together, no cooking required! Play with the amounts, or try different dried fruits if you want. You can get all the ingredients at the bulk store.

My kids like this because the dried fruits make it sweet, but there's no need to add sugar (the original recipe had 1/4 cup or something of brown sugar, but it does NOT need it.

You can top it with milk, just like a regular cold cereal, but my favourite thing is to mix it with yogurt. Peach, vanilla, or even plain, is great with this. Delish!

--------------------------------------------

One other idea is cream of wheat (not the yucky instant kind, but real homemade stuff - it's easy to make), but instead of adding sugar or maple syrup or something to sweeten it, add a handful of grated cheese for a yummy cheesey breakfast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008 06:04:35 AM »

irismooninthecity that  sounds  yummy  and breakfast casserole I will try soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008 07:04:09 AM »

I'm a sahm too, but with just one little punk.

I was just going to suggest granola and yogurt, but it looks like someone beat me to it suggesting muesli. we make our own granola, cause it's cheaper and you can put as much of what you want in it.  Plus, ive found if my almost 3 yo helps make something she is much more willing to eat it. 

Have you tried smoothies?  We use whatever fruit and milk/yogurt we have on hand.  There are lots of recipes out there for combo ideas.  I tell my daughter it is ice cream.  I also give her toast when i do this because she seems to still be hungry after her "ice cream."  sometimes i make a huge batch the night before.  Then i put them in serving size containers and defrost some in the microwave in the am.

muffins are another thing you can make the night before with the kids help.  You can hide a lot of fruit in muffins! 

you said you already make waffles.  Do you use the same recipe everytime?  You could mix it up and use different flavors.  waffles seem to be the in thing right now so there are a lot of recipes floating around.  or you could mix it up by topping it with fruit and whipcream instead of maple syrup, or use different flavor syrups.

have you tried fruit and cottage cheese?  my daughter wont touch it, but it was one of the few things i liked to eat as a kid.

eng muffins with honey or peanut butter or both.

bagles and cream cheese.  we like plain with shredded carrots, raisins and walnuts mixed in.  I couldn't tell you how much of each because i just eyeball it.

I know you said you've tried every type of eggs.  My daughter refused to eat eggs too.  I thought i had tried everything until I was watching a cooking show and they made fritattas.  Bingo!  She loves them and i can hide all kinds of things in there.  (mushrooms, asperagus, broccoli, etc) I slice them in wedges so she can eat them with her fingers like pizza.  Both her and her dad like to eat the leftovers cold the next day, but i prefer them warm.

hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008 07:08:36 AM »

I would  love to try fritatas.. I like the name LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A New Way to Flatten Images in CS3
5 Tips For Layer Styles
5 Things You Need to Know About the Gradient Tool in Photoshop
5 Things You Need to Know About Filters in Photoshop
Using the Ken Burns Effect with Final Cut Pro
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...