A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 304692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

O_R_they
« Reply #1010 on: April 17, 2006 07:54:15 PM »

alright, so i have about 3 weeks to make a dress. i want it to look like this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/DarkosBunny/rosiedress.jpg

i can't for the life of me find a good pattern. i've found one or two similiar, but none of the bodices have the ruching at the bust that i like. it's such a simple dress, but i'm horrible without patterns. i have this awesome purple polka dotted fabric, too.

my poor date, his mom wanted his vest to match my dress so he asked for a bit of the fabric. so now i HAVE to make the dress, or his vest won't match at all.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013 01:53:50 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KtB
« Reply #1011 on: April 17, 2006 08:09:01 PM »

0 R they - you might want to look at simplicity 5044
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neversaynever
i don't believe in the sun.

harlot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1012 on: April 17, 2006 08:22:58 PM »

well if your heart is not set completely on a pattern, i'd say this type of ruching is not the hardest thing to do without one. i did it on a dress a while ago.. i basically just cut out a rectange that fit over my chest, but a little wider, and tied a strip of fabric around the middle. then arranged the folds until they looked pretty, then sewed the strip on, hemmed the top, and sewed another rectangle underneath where a somewhat triangular gap had appeared under where the material was gathered. then cut off the excess material (since you really only need a triangle), dart it so the underarms fit right and sew on the other parts of the shirt. i basically winged it using myself as a dressform and it worked pretty well, methinks. good luck with your dress too, the design looks very pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

give me your eyes, i need sunshine.
your blood, your bones, your voice, and your ghost.

we've both been very brave.
walk around with both legs,
fight the scary day.
we both pull the tricks out of our sleeves.

but I'll believe in anything
and you'll believe in anything.
Julie0830
« Reply #1013 on: April 18, 2006 08:45:33 AM »

Wow. You guys are all so talented, and you all look amazing! I wish I had had the confidence and creative flair to make a gorgeous dress for my prom! This almost makes me nostalgic for high school...almost... Grin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006 10:56:13 AM by Julie0830 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

http://www.wists.com/genuine_whimsy
O_R_they
« Reply #1014 on: April 18, 2006 10:21:56 AM »

0 R they - you might want to look at simplicity 5044

do you have any recomendations on making a bodice? the bust is the right type, but i'd need to make a bodice underneath rather than have the skirt come out from teh bust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KtB
« Reply #1015 on: April 18, 2006 12:07:34 PM »

hmm i dont know how to actually make the pattern for that..but it seems that McCalls M4444, has a tighter fit on the bodice then the simplicity one...you might be able to just cut the pattern...and seam allowance to each edge...the sew it back together..if ur really looking for that style line
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLea14
« Reply #1016 on: April 18, 2006 06:17:18 PM »

Wow you guys are all so good ! I couldnt do that, if i tried !
By the Milly...youre dress looks real nice ! I have the same fabric (from curtains) lol but its soo nice !  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
actoneends

I don't want to be an adult.

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 18, 2006 10:47:45 PM »

wow, i posted on here almost a year ago... and i'm posting again now.. who know this thread would last through two Westby Proms (the art majors fundraising prom).  last year i used a burday pattern, this year, it's Butterick Retro '57, so that's Butterick B4512

hopefully i'll be able to finish the dress in the next two weeks...  cross your fingers for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/thatjennagirl">Find me on MySpace and be my friend!</a>
writeforme
the princess Tessa

^I love him in a thousand ways.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1018 on: April 20, 2006 03:01:29 PM »

O_R_they, I'm reconning a skirt into a dress almost exactly like that one! Except mine is bright red with white polka dots ^_^ sorry, Idk really how to make it from scratch though...it shouldn't be too complicated as long as you find the right fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace." -- Oscar Wilde

11:11 am
Razor Blame

She likes disco and tastes like a tear.

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 20, 2006 04:11:17 PM »

I just got the fabric for mine today and I have started.  The lady at the store was baffled by the idea of me not using a pattern I think that they are a waste of money in my scrappy little world and hardly benefit me because I always end up disregarding it in anyway possible  Cheesy
I wanted my dress to be lime green shadowed in black but the lime green was too expensive.  My next option of orange but it looked too halloween so now my dress is doomed to be very dark with purple and black but oh well at least it will be my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Combining Tools to Create Detailed Curves
Macromedia Flash 8 - Creating Complex Shapes with Intersecting Lines
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using the Selection Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Intersecting Shapes within a Single Layer
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introduction to Advanced Vector Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...