A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,690
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 302826 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: April 10, 2006 04:42:30 AM »

I had a hard time thinking of a formal outfit I would want to wear. I came up with a kimono (partly using the fabulous tutorial by missgeekcore  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=28415.0)

I'm using a sheer black material with a black and silver swirl pattern on it. So far so good. It's going to look great with my corset.

Darkdiva, I love that kimono... will you post pix of yours when it's completed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
darkdiva
« Reply #991 on: April 10, 2006 07:49:05 AM »

Darkdiva, I love that kimono... will you post pix of yours when it's completed?
[/quote]

I sure will  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tookie
It's Spleentastic!

I'm more Peter Pan than you are.

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 10, 2006 09:53:05 PM »

Whew, I finished my dress for my friend's masquerade ball! I know, none of us are wearing masks - all the photos are later, when they got all hot and sweaty so we took them off.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/lordbananasball/P4070112.jpg
I'm on the left, excuse the rabid red-eye.

Necessary super model pose, of course. My mask is on my head.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013 01:52:58 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Non est delirus in terra mea~
http://www.victorinia.blogspot.com
beautifuljunk

i see you shiver with antici...pation

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 11, 2006 08:07:15 AM »

wow i've reached the end...
101 pages. how's that for dedication...

anyway.
my prom is June 8th so i have PLENTY of time (only not i love procrastination) and i really want an original-ish dress. ive only been dress shopping once and i was totallly unenthusiatic about all the dresses.  they all look the same. so ive been insanely searching through simplicity and mccalls and so on and so forth looking for a pattern.  (i cant sew, but my mom can... and i can watch.  im a very good observer)

now here's the thing.  i actually have a date this year... and i like him (big deal for me) this means that i cant go completely bizzare and extreme like i do sometimes... dont want to scare the boy away...

and here's the other thing... im about 160 pounds... and most of the models on the cover of these patterns are about 100 pounds skinny-er... and its really hard for me to get an idea of what im going to look in it... hmmm kinda important...

i also dont like poofy dresses (no offence to those who do) and neither does the boy.  but most of the flowy-like dresses cling to the curves (and not the ones i like)...

and i want to avoid looking like a sausage... hehehe... breakfast foods have no place at prom.

im so stuck. gahh...

also the boyfriend has a thing for pirates and i was thinking maybe doing some kind of damsel in distress type of thing... i dont know... a wench wouldnt really be appropriate... would it?  well he'd like that.... we're so weird.

any suggestions... words of wisdom... prayers?

something! anything!
gahh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 11, 2006 09:17:16 AM »

To Beautifuljunk:
Go through your closet and pull out the clothes that look great on you. (You can do this at a clothing store too but home is much easier). Pay attention to which details from specific pieces make certain body parts look good. Start sketching and incorporating these elements into one outfit that is fun and formal and you. Fabric choice is important too. Big and busy patterns tend to get lost on a dress that has lots of small details, but on a simple dress can be fantastic. It helps that you have the original garments because your mom can use them as a pattern instead of buying one, or if she really wants she can buy several basic patterns and mix and match. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aribobari

feaaaar meeee.=]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #995 on: April 11, 2006 07:17:18 PM »

beautiful junk:
i agree with the person above me, definately try it.
Heavier fabrics tend to look nicer for someone of your build, so maybe a corset on top?
you could cut up strips of fabric to make it look piraty on the bottom for a skirt?

Wink have fun & i hope it turns out WONDERFUL.
& i bet the boy will LOVE whatever you do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hdoglovesyou

oh so calculated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #996 on: April 12, 2006 07:55:11 AM »

I'm pretty sure i posted on this thread last year, but whatever I'm back! Last year i got a dress at Goodwill for $25 and boy it was a BEAUTY. This year i made my dress from a pattern. It's simplicity #4272 and i did a combination of view B and C and a little altering to make my dress! It's a Jessica McClinock pattern and the fabric does a gradient from aqua blue to dark aqua blue! I'M PRETTY MUCH IN LOVE! the lining is gold and there's a little matching gold button (i made it myself) to match!

The pattern called for boning, but I didn't put that crap in because last year i had boning in my dress, and when i would sit down i had to stop breathing. and i almost burst out of my dress after i ate dinner, so i figured i'd give myself a little wiggle room this year.

Prom should be a blast, and I'm so excited because i made everything myself! I don't care if everyone else's dresses are more awesome than mine. I'm just excited to go in something that I made for MYSELF! These pictures kind of blow. I tried and i failed. Maybe i'll take better ones later.

I also made a matching clutch using this tutorial, and i'm IN LOVE with it! (You can see pictures of it on that thread)

The boyfriend will be sporting a matching vest and tie made by yours truly! Smiley

-HEATHER! <3
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006 08:03:12 PM by hdoglovesyou » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fashion is feeding us IDENTIFICATION
<3heather
TheWorldFamous

Gotta Love Me Cuz I'm Famous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #997 on: April 12, 2006 09:14:26 AM »

Awesome dress!  It's adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

writeforme
the princess Tessa

^I love him in a thousand ways.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #998 on: April 12, 2006 12:09:17 PM »

Whee. Everyone's dresses since I've last posted are all so pretty. I love eye candy.

Anyway, beautifuljunk, dresses don't have to either be poofy or clingy! Dresses that flare out slightly (I'm not sure- are they called a-line?) at the hem would look great on you. Also, have you considered a mermaid dress, aka sleek down to your knees then fanning out? It'd be a great dramatic option. Pair that with an empire waist, and you'd look stunning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace." -- Oscar Wilde

11:11 am
angelfire07
Your Final Fantasy

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 13, 2006 10:55:19 AM »

hdoglovesyou... that dress is freakin' awesome...good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.myspace.com/klounyfaery07

1000 Words... They'll hold you forever..
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Designer Spotlight: YANA K
How to Embellish a Blouse With Pearls Inspired by Chanel
AG Jeans and Liberty London Collab On Denim Collection
#Trends: Stripes From Casual Chic To Glam
Star Style Crush: Freida Pinto
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...