A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 302896 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss American Pie
« Reply #950 on: March 10, 2006 06:18:59 PM »

For the top, I just used regular 5/8" elastic and a zig-zag stitch. I stretched the elastic evenly as I fed it through the machine so when the elastic sprung back it formed the pretty wrinkles. Does that make sense? And yeah, I made some thin, pink piping to accent the waist. That's exactly why I added the pink, Randommarble. I really wanted to wear white, but I didn't want it to look like a wedding dress. I love how it turned out. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bo
« Reply #951 on: March 12, 2006 02:06:06 PM »

my mom is going to make my prom dress (she is an amazing seamstress..... though i may help a bit so i can do it on my own next year)

i am using simplicity #5238 style C... the fabric is black, and the overlay is going to be white laceish.... i am also too voluptuous for strapless, so we're changing that to have straps....

it's my boyfriend's sr year, and only my jr, so my dress is matching his tux.... its all white w/black "trim" .... kinda hard to explain but it's really cool looking Smiley

i just noticed that thats my homecoming dress
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/weirdobtlf/thDSC05926.jpg
you cant really see all of it but i was all decked out. wore gloves and a nice braclet.  im looking for a prom dress right now so ill keep lookin around here nice dresses everyone.

<<<edited - Please remove images when quoting other posts.>>>
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013 01:52:18 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
green.turtle
« Reply #952 on: March 13, 2006 05:20:01 AM »

WOW. Miss American Pie, your dress is gorrrgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*green.turtle <3*
lil_ballet_girl

I want to be with you

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 16, 2006 01:55:38 PM »

I made my dress for junior prom last year. I'm really proud of it because I designed it myself and I didn't use a pattern or anything. The material is cheap but nice polyester satin.

It took me about a week to make it. I know I should have given myself more time. I will this year. It was really fun to make, and the skirt was really fun to dance in because there's so much material in it and it was so light and billowy. The one thing I don't like about it is the back. I have a pretty unusually shaped back, so I should have spent more time on getting that to fit right. Well, I learned my lesson.

holy crap!!! you made that without a pattern ?? WOW! I envy your talent! Even if I made it with a pattern, it wouldn't seem so flawless!! supa dupa! Smiley

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006 01:59:02 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Took for granted all the little things.
But now it's over,
All I can say is goodbye.
Annyka
« Reply #954 on: March 17, 2006 05:23:28 PM »

Wow, that dress is absolutely beautiful.  Wink

I want to make a ball (er.. prom) dress for my friend. Her ball isn't for AGES. Shes a year too young at the moment, so its not for like.. 15 months. But I'm a huge procrastinator and I want it to be amazing, and I'll probably be making the pattern too, so I'll need loads of time.

She wants a halter neck, and handkerchief hem. What kind of material would be good for that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdoll193
« Reply #955 on: March 22, 2006 06:53:55 PM »

I was gonna make my prom dress this year and I have a blue material with sequins on it. The dress I was gonna make is the pink one with the left sleeve like on the white one and one of the things hanging down from the middle like on the short red one. What do you guys think?

since it's only a month-ish away from when you originally posted, this may be too early. BUT... how difficult is this? i absolutely LOVE the white one and the light blue one, would probably combine the two (mostly like the light blue, but with the middle fluffyness)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006 01:59:30 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
AllieKat3120

We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 22, 2006 07:51:25 PM »

for my junior prom 2 years ago i used this popular McCalls pattern to make my dress:

http://img.sewingtoday.com/cat/40000/itm_img/M3959.jpg

i wanted to do it in lime green with bright blue tulle (how awesome would that have looked?!)... buuut my mom was really fond of the orange and pink, annnnd i was really low on fundings at the time so she helped me pay for the fabric since she liked it: so here are my blurry pics:

i know... it looks just like the pattern cover. not very original Sad

it took me a weekend to do. it's a fairly easy pattern. im sure a lot of you have seen it in the McCalls pattern book... my first time trying a zipper though and the last... but it all turned out well... looking back now i wish i didnt put the silly straps on though
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008 02:06:21 PM by kategirl - Reason: Please do not hotlink to an image that you do not own » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #957 on: March 22, 2006 08:51:30 PM »

converse in place of heels

LOL    Grin  I wore conver a LONG long time ago to my prom. My best freind, my guy & myself all wore converse that she embroidered with a lion on the side. (our school mascot)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
green.turtle
« Reply #958 on: March 23, 2006 05:41:04 AM »

for my junior prom 2 years ago i used this popular McCalls pattern to make my dress:

i wanted to do it in lime green with bright blue tulle (how awesome would that have looked?!)... buuut my mom was really fond of the orange and pink, annnnd i was really low on fundings at the time so she helped me pay for the fabric since she liked it: so here are my blurry pics:

i know... it looks just like the pattern cover. not very original Sad

it took me a weekend to do. it's a fairly easy pattern. im sure a lot of you have seen it in the McCalls pattern book... my first time trying a zipper though and the last... but it all turned out well... looking back now i wish i didnt put the silly straps on though

ooh!! i really like it! good job!! =)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006 02:00:31 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*green.turtle <3*
writeforme
the princess Tessa

^I love him in a thousand ways.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #959 on: March 25, 2006 11:44:29 AM »

Wow, now I'm tempted to do something with lime green and bright blue tulle. Eep! It would have been amazing. But I like the way your dress turned out, too =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace." -- Oscar Wilde

11:11 am
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Crane Part 2
How to Fold Your own MacBook Air Origami
How to Build a Helicopter from Paper
How to Make an Origami Barking Dog
Stunning Timelapse of Dense Fog Clouds Rolling Over Chicago
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...