A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 304734 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nicolethegirl
« Reply #900 on: February 09, 2006 03:18:18 PM »

oh man, i started reading these and then booted it into my storage room to find the pictures of the prom dress i made. unfortunately i don't have a scanner so i'll just have to send you the image telepathically. i think it was pretty darn cool. hmm, maybe it could just describe it???
its PINK and BLACK...which is awesome cause i have RED hair. (clashy-clashy)the top is a TUXEDO TSHIRT i altered. i made the neck a scoop and made it smaller and put GRoMETS up the sides to lace it up with thin strips of pink tulle. the skirt is all huge and full and is made of BLACK SATIN with THREE layers of HOT PINK tulle over it.
i promise to add a picture eventually

and here they are:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 08:43:01 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

winter, she's a-comin'
mayerlove
« Reply #901 on: February 09, 2006 05:53:56 PM »

that sounds really cool w/ the tux shirt and all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Under_the_Rose
« Reply #902 on: February 09, 2006 06:58:16 PM »

that sounds really tripendicular  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself, am Heaven and Hell
angelfire07
Your Final Fantasy

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 10, 2006 10:58:17 AM »

<<<Edited to remove hotlinked image>>>
I was gonna make my prom dress this year and I have a blue material with sequins on it. The dress I was gonna make is the pink one with the left sleeve like on the white one and one of the things hanging down from the middle like on the short red one. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006 02:04:44 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.myspace.com/klounyfaery07

1000 Words... They'll hold you forever..
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #904 on: February 10, 2006 06:29:15 PM »

Ok, so i'm planning on making my prom dress, been playing with the design for a while...but here's the thing...i hate patterns.  And i want asymmetrical boning in the bodice ....cant seem to find a picture online, so i sketched it in paint:

So here's the question: i'm no master seamstress..would i be completely insane to try to make something like this with no pattern? I have my (store-bought) prom dress from a few years ago that is similar in parts, so i can base parts off that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
O_R_they
« Reply #905 on: February 10, 2006 08:14:56 PM »

hey guys. i'm a longtime lurker here at craftster. this post has inspired me to design/make my prom dress. after designing it, i realized i was going to need all the help i could get. my sister did this sketch after my messy ones made no sense:

ok, i found that simplicity number 4269 for the top part. but as you can see, i'm a little more complicated. I want it to be ruched, i guess. i'm not really sure how to do that on a bodice, nor what material to use.
the skirt is the big problem, i want it layered. the back will be the same as the front, my sis just didn't draw it in. as you can see, the top layer is going to be scrunched up in places to reveal the bottom parts. i have no idea how to do that properly either. i plan on experimenting over vacation, but any input would be fabulous.

seriously, any suggestions on fabric, patterns, technique, etc would be helpful. I figure I have like 3 months to pull this off, and two vacations in between.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheWorldFamous

Gotta Love Me Cuz I'm Famous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #906 on: February 11, 2006 07:06:46 AM »

O R They - The skirt kinda reminds me of Simplicity 4686, where it's layered, but I'm not too sure what to do about the rushing part.  If you want to do layers, though, I'd suggest making a lining for the skirt, then adding a couple of layers of "puff" (the stuff that goes under the dress to make it puffy). 

Sorry if I'm of no help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaz2phreek
« Reply #907 on: February 11, 2006 08:30:19 AM »

O R They- Simplicity has a pattern for a little girls costume for Belle (from Beauty & the Beast) that has the same ruching effect (sorta) for the skirt. If all else fails, you may pick it up for the directions & create a pattern that its you from that.
Simplicty #5238...This might work. If you made the top layer of fabric from whatever you want instead of the sheer stuff they use, you should be able to ruche the skirt up how you want.
Ruched top- Butterick#4451

The skirt could probably be figured out pretty easily. A gored skirt so it's fuller than a circle skirt. The ruching.....trial and error. The under part & top part of the skirt separate.

Those are my suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Talz
« Reply #908 on: February 12, 2006 06:03:02 PM »

wow i just read this thread front to back

and this is a first post from a longtime lurker

I ordered my first sewing machine about 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't come yet... and in anticipation i've been trying to learn as much as I can about sewing, I think i'm doing pretty well.

Soooooo as a treat for myself for when i become more advanced, I bought this pattern:
http://img.sewingtoday.com/cat/20000/itm_img/V2801.jpg

and 5 yards of light pink crepe back satin to make it with

Hopefully (if i don't screw it up) it will become my prom dress.  But I plan to work on some small projects working with patterns before i even begin to work on that.

I also bought The Vogue Sewing book (published 1975 but i bought it for literally a penny and it's full of useful information)

however, i have a couple questions if anyone would be so kind as to answer them:

where would you put interfacing on this particular dress?
what is hair canvas?
how do you use seam binding?

these are probably really stupid novice questions
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008 02:04:45 PM by kategirl - Reason: Please do not hotlink to an image that you do not own » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheWorldFamous

Gotta Love Me Cuz I'm Famous!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #909 on: February 12, 2006 07:12:03 PM »

Talz -

1)  You'd probably use interfacing on the front part or somewhere in the back.
2)  What is hair canvas?
3)  You'd use seam binding on seams when the fabric is bound to frey (I don't know much about crepe, so I can't tell you if it freys)

That looks like a pretty hard dress, but good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trend Report - Blanket Coats
Trend Takeout: Ugly Sweaters
Trend Takeout: Oversized Sweaters
Trend Takeout: Go Head to Toe White Without Looking Like a Blank Spot
Trend Takeout: How to Rock the Sporty Look
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...