A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 313327 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: April 06, 2005 06:56:01 AM »

TheSickRose - I would probably put some contrast ribbon or something round the middle and then add some netting in the same colour at the bottom, or just add contrast where you want to drag attention to (where your thinnest or where you don't mind guys looking at Smiley )

The pattern I am making (Simplicity 5724) says I need crinoline, but my local sewing shop doesn't sell it (the shop assistant hadn't even heard of it) so would fusible interfacing do (it goes in the bertha, which is along the neck bit, and is machine basted to the fabric according to the instructions. The pattern also says you are meant to wear a crinoline skirt underneath it - will this matter if I make the dress a little shorter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
nacblbbff

I "heart" LINKIN PARK!

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 06, 2005 08:48:03 AM »

u think urs is early? lol...besides the one who's is on friday...mine is the 22nd of this month! lol....just hope my dress is finished by then!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Chole~*~
The Sundance Kid
85 yr old granny in a tasty college girl body

This girl is crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: April 06, 2005 10:14:32 AM »

TheSickRose:

Your dress is real hot. If you don't mind going with a more playful look, I would suggest accessorizing that bitch. Like pink fishnets cut off at the ankles, or chunky costume jewelry like big bright earrings, or a long bead neckless. Or fingerless lace gloves. Or a big ass bow in your hair. Or outrageous shoes. Or matching eyeshadow. I'm getting a little crazy thinking about it. Calm down, Sundance. Some people are not as excited as you are about dressing like you are in the 80's again. . .
   If looking "respectable" or "current" is more your thing, I think big pearls would go beautifully with your dress. That dress + pearls + plus ribbon could equal a very glamorous you. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaces.msn.com/members/meanlittlebird/
--My msn space. blog. bitchfest. thing.
K_lox
« Reply #323 on: April 06, 2005 02:09:09 PM »

TheSickRose - I would probably put some contrast ribbon or something round the middle and then add some netting in the same colour at the bottom, or just add contrast where you want to drag attention to (where your thinnest or where you don't mind guys looking at Smiley )

I really like the idea of the ribbon a lot. Thank you!

Your dress is real hot. If you don't mind going with a more playful look, I would suggest accessorizing that bitch. Like pink fishnets cut off at the ankles, or chunky costume jewelry like big bright earrings, or a long bead neckless. Or fingerless lace gloves. Or a big ass bow in your hair. Or outrageous shoes. Or matching eyeshadow. I'm getting a little crazy thinking about it. Calm down, Sundance. Some people are not as excited as you are about dressing like you are in the 80's again. . .
   If looking "respectable" or "current" is more your thing, I think big pearls would go beautifully with your dress. That dress + pearls + plus ribbon could equal a very glamorous you. Good luck!

Cheesy Don't worry, I'm totally with you on this. I like these ideas, thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nacblbbff

I "heart" LINKIN PARK!

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2005 08:55:22 AM »

2 weeks...from today exactly...till my prom!!! i still haven't finished my dress...not had time! school is stressin me out majorly!!! just found out today, i'm leavin sunday for HOSA state competition and compete sunday night!!!! omg wish me luck! well hope i get my dress finished in time!!!!  Cry good luck everyone with your dresses!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Chole~*~
gangstarr

More gangster than your mother.

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 08, 2005 02:42:01 PM »

haha everybody thinks that may 15, etc. is early for a prom.

mine's april 16, next saturday.
i didn't have the pleasure of making my dress, BUT i did get it for half price which came out to 99 dollars.

:]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ain't nobody touch this.
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: April 08, 2005 03:04:11 PM »

BUT i did get it for half price which came out to 99 dollars.

:]

I got one for 3.50 at the thrift store,  Wink teeheehee, it's pretty nice, I think I'm gonna jazz it up a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Pink Hula

Shala for a week

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2005 05:02:11 PM »

i am making it for a ball and thats not till August or something!!! though i am gunna start making it this holidays!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shala shala shala
The Sundance Kid
85 yr old granny in a tasty college girl body

This girl is crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: April 08, 2005 11:33:57 PM »

My practice dress, Cut on Thursday night, sewn on Friday night!

Now the real one will be way awesomer because it will not scrunch on my stomach. Instead it will have a zipper and I will not have to hold it together with my hand. Also, the neck will be less ridiculous because it will be nice drapey satin or something instead of $1/yd stuff from Walmart. Also I will learn how to make darts that do not look like nipples. . . anybody want to help me with that one?

Also, I still can't decide if I want to make my real dress just like this one (view C), or with the front drapes (view D). My pattern is New Look 6455-------> http://simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=wnlook.cfm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaces.msn.com/members/meanlittlebird/
--My msn space. blog. bitchfest. thing.
wizkid
« Reply #329 on: April 08, 2005 11:36:38 PM »

sundance-

I LOVE this pattern.

About darts- I work in a costume shop, and I still have trouble with the darts thing. The best advice I can give is to sew a curved line instead of a straight line for the dart. Sort of curve the line up to the point the dart is suppossed to end. This sort of follows the shape of your body better. Hopefully that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Carter Cash Wishes He Had This Talent
Swoon Book Trailer
John Avant Talks About If God Were Real
Meet Author of Cowboy and Wills
Behind the Books with Marlene Wallach
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...