A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 304729 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #1330 on: April 15, 2008 07:11:06 PM »

my prom's really cheap (only 50 per person!!!) so i'm going:

Fabric w/ pattern and possible yarn for shawl. Any suggestions for the yarn?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008 11:13:54 AM by ibunnysavetroy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

whyislife
« Reply #1331 on: April 16, 2008 08:54:31 AM »

CRAP!! 17 days and i haven't even started. I am soooo screwed. I'm going to start my mock up today. i had to change my pattern because im slightly (read: waaay) too busty for my original plan.

but it's ok, because i might have a date who makes me smile =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
helloSUNSHINE

i wish i wasn't a one time crafter

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: April 16, 2008 10:23:40 PM »

my prom is on may 3rd and i have not even started yet. bahh i'm so swamped with school that i'm afraid i'll end up doing it last minute and do a nasty job. i'm also worried that i won't have enough fabric.

also, if my friends and i can't get rides there then i don't think i'm going to go. the whole renting a limo thing is so expensive if it's only three people for multiple hours. if i calculate correctly, i would be spending more on splitting the cost of the ride than my dress and prom ticket combines. ahhh. Shocked

THIS ROCKS   Logged
imogen.s
Previously known as imi.

Red lipstick and red nails, all a girl needs.

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 19, 2008 05:16:00 AM »

helloSUNSHINE, that sucks! my friends and I have decided not to get a limo, as school is organising a coach from school to the venue Smiley

i have three weeks (proms may 9th) and my dress is currently four pieces of fabric and a load of lace. 6 metres of lace Smiley its so yummy Smiley
and i've bought all of my materials and its only cost about 17 ($34)!

this weekend is going to be serious sewing time...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily, they notice the dress. Dress impeccably, they notice the woman."
-Coco Chanel
helloSUNSHINE

i wish i wasn't a one time crafter

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 24, 2008 09:33:18 PM »

prom is next week and i just barely cut out the fabric for my dress. i'm reconstructing an old bridesmaid looking dress i thrifted for $6. i'm using a teal poly chiffon to overlay it on the already present grey poly chiffon.

but gahhh i have no clue how to hem my chiffon. i suck at the sewing machine and am afraid the chiffon will pucker when i sew it. i already cut it horribly (zig zaggy lines) and i don't want to mess up. does anyone have any tips for hemming chiffon and sewing a zipper?

my APs are a week away and i still haven't studied. okay, now the stress of school and this dress is freaking me out. i'm off to start homework. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whyislife
« Reply #1335 on: April 26, 2008 07:45:07 PM »

WOO! I finally finished my mock-up! now i have like... 4 days to make the actual dress! and since the theme is masquerade, i plan to make a mask using this pattern: http://www.michaels.com/online/pdf/e05709.pdf

my jewelry:

my shoes:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008 04:26:42 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
imogen.s
Previously known as imi.

Red lipstick and red nails, all a girl needs.

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 27, 2008 12:15:49 AM »

My own dress is done!

(for more information see [http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=242627.0
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008 12:16:39 AM by imi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dress shabbily, they notice the dress. Dress impeccably, they notice the woman."
-Coco Chanel
LiliDesign
Little Miss Magpie

www.lilidesigns.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1337 on: May 03, 2008 02:18:49 AM »

Lol I entered this 2 years ago and never ended up making my dress, just a clutch bag.  Ended up raiding the shops a couple of days before and spending 80 on a dress I hated!  Anyway, I'm definitely making my dress this year but I really need some help in the ideas department.  Here are my ideas, could you help me??
*I'm short and pear-shaped (big bum, but flat as a pancake on top)
*I have a little waist, and would like to accentuate this with a 50s style dress maybe.
*I love anything vintage 30s/40s/50s
*I can't really walk in anything floor-length
*Dita von teese is my style icon
*Deep navy blue
*Silver embroidery
*Poofy skirt
*Old-movie-style glamour
*I will be wearing it with red lipstick, long reddy-blonde curls, high heels, silver clutch.
I'm not amazing at sewing but my grannys going to help out.  I have no idea where to start with patterns/materials etc., but I have until the mid-July to finish it.  I'll be starting mid-june when my a-level exams are over ahhh!

Imi your dress is gorgeous!  I love the lace!

Well hope you can help out a bit  Grin xox
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The website's up and running, and the shop will be ready soon ~ www.lilidesigns.co.uk ~ Unique Handmade Jewellery Designs
whyislife
« Reply #1338 on: May 03, 2008 08:02:22 AM »

Lilidesign,

check out
http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8182.htm?tab=dresses_includes_designer&page=5
i would say that if you take the top with the sleeves, and get a wider short version skirt, you can put a petticoat under it and it would look fabulous. i'll keep looking though =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cloud_9
« Reply #1339 on: May 03, 2008 03:12:37 PM »

Thanks for the excuse to search through photos of Dita's gorgeous wardrobe......

Heres the kind of shape as i imagine it from your discription

When you mentioned your colour scheme and your embroidery plan it reminded me of this Marchesa dress i remember seeing in a magazine.

Obviously this would take ages to embroider but it could definetly inspire anyone to take up embroidery!

Theres gorgeous dresses on the Marchesa website ( www.marchesa.com i think) Its a great place to get ideas for embellishments

Patterns that would give you that shape could be.....
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5001.htm?tab=evening_prom_bridal&page=2
http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V2960.htm?tab=vintage_vogue&page=1
http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V2962.htm?tab=vintage_vogue&page=1

Also if you didnt want to do all the embroidery you can buy trimmings by the yard like the ones here http://www.trimfabric.com/lace-trim.html. I used something like this in white but dyed it purple for the "embroidery" on this dress

Your ideas sound gorgeous i cant wait to see the finished product.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008 04:26:14 PM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Pencil Cup
How to Create Covers for CDs and DVDs
How to Fold an Origami Bow-Tie
How to Make a Paper Barn Star
How to make an origami bird
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...