A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,915
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 313508 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #1260 on: September 26, 2007 04:02:34 PM »

has anyone gotten a head start on pattern/fabric?
I've gotten this pattern: http://www.butterick.com/item/B4919.htm?tab=evening_prom_bridal&page=1
and I have a fabric I saw at joann's in mind, but haven't boughten it yet.
I'm planning on making a petticoat w/ this too, because I don't believe it has a lining!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CosmicCarrot
« Reply #1261 on: September 27, 2007 06:58:56 PM »

i haven't planned patterns or fabric yet, but i have a sketch of what i want!

green with the bodice sequinned with a subtle pattern of some sort using similar colours...houndstooth or maybe zebra...shorter length and as poofy as i can possibly make it.
so far the plan is to make a test run for winter formal and then do the real one shortly after that, because i'm going to need lots and lots of time to sew on all the sequins!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's plastic on the furniture to keep it neat and clean,
in the pine sol-scented air, somewhere that's green...
bethrealistic
« Reply #1262 on: October 30, 2007 06:58:25 PM »

Hi, I'm new here -
But I'm about to start making my sister's formal dress, and a formal dress for a friend! (I'll be busy over the next few weeks, I can tell you.)  Grin

My sister's dress will be a tomato (like orangey-red) coloured cocktail dress, probably from a satin-backed crepe.
I'm going to use this pattern, but remove the sleeves, make the neckline a boater, and cut a low v-shaped back in to the back of the dress:
http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8444.htm?tab=whats_new&page=2

My friend's dress will look like this without the belt and halter straps:
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/giveitlove/?action=view&current=060720071303268280.jpg
But I am yet to find a pattern, so any suggestions would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007 07:03:31 PM by bethrealistic » THIS ROCKS   Logged
DivastarMirna
« Reply #1263 on: November 14, 2007 06:16:34 AM »

yeah i'm finally done i read all the pages, by the way all the dresses look awesome, i love em all!!! There's my cousin's wedding in 3 weeks, i want to make my dress to were in the wedding, i am going to start the dress today, at least the bodice. I am a tottaly sewing begginer, but at least i am going try, i really hope it's wearable. Wish me luck, i will post pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥Mirna♥
clacksou13
« Reply #1264 on: November 19, 2007 06:07:11 PM »

I'm a senior this year, and I'm excited about prom!  So excited, in fact, that I started planning a year ahead of time.  Sadly, I will not be joining the prom-dress-making ranks...I was adamant at first that I would re-create Inara's gown from the "Shindig" episode of Firefly.  But then when we were visiting my grandparents last summer there was an end-of-prom-season dress sale, and of course we just HAD to go the mall that day, and I just HAD to try on different dresses so that I could "have options" and of course I found the perfect dress for $45.  I will still be making my purse, necklace, and wrap (if I have one), so I will be somewhat crafty!  Our prom theme is "A Single Rose", so I am planning on having simple drop or stud earrings with a small rose pendant necklace and something in my hair (a white rose or a barrette, not sure.  It will depend on the corsage/date situation!).  Does anyone know where to get just one of those Karen Hill Tribe silver rose pendants (or another place to get realistic-looking small silver rose pendants)?  I've searched online but all I've come up with is pre-made stuff and wholesale sources.  I just want one, maybe with a pearl or a rhinestone, on a delicate chain.  Also, would you recommend wearing a wrap?  Prom will be in early May/late April, and around that time of year is usually getting fairly warm, even into early evening.  My dress already has lace and tulle all over it, so would an organza or other sheer fabric wrap be too much? Does anyone have any tips for finding/sewing an appropriate wrap?

Sorry if I've bogged you all down with questions!  I'm also on prom committee, so I'm beginning to think that prom is just around the corner, what with all of the crazy planning going on!   Any help is greatly appreciated.  I love everyone else's dresses!   CosmicCarrot, how are you planning to sew the sequins onto your fabric?  Are you just going to trace the pattern out onto the pieces, or do freehand?  make sure to post pictures once you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CosmicCarrot
« Reply #1265 on: November 19, 2007 06:32:11 PM »

well a houndstooth pattern wouldn't be too hard to freehand because each sequin would be lined up like in a grid....haha i dont know how to explain it but hopefully you get it....and zebra would be easy enough too, because it's not very specific
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's plastic on the furniture to keep it neat and clean,
in the pine sol-scented air, somewhere that's green...
DivastarMirna
« Reply #1266 on: November 25, 2007 11:25:42 AM »

Yay, here is my progress:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/DivastarMirna/S1030681.jpg
What do you think, i dont have much sewing experience, so this the what i can do. I have already started the skirt.
I hope i finish soon. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥Mirna♥
purevitality
« Reply #1267 on: November 25, 2007 06:04:21 PM »

For my third prom, I'm feeling like it's finally time I make my own dress! I continually change my mind on the pattern though! All I'm sure about is that I want it to be sort of simple, elegant, and all black. I can't wait to get started =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody here is out of sight
they dont bark and they dont bite
they keep things loose they keep it tight
everybodys dancing in the moonlight
JazzJ
« Reply #1268 on: January 01, 2008 03:04:00 PM »

I am having my prom dress made by my nan and I am quite keen on the Simplicity 4686 pattern.
I have read that it is boned which is what I was fond of but when I took a look at the skirt it looked flat to me.
I was wondering if an experienced dress maker could tell me if there was any way that if I brought this pattern it could be made fuller by gathering the fabric more or something. Roll Eyes

I found a dress which i absolutly adore before I found the Simplicity one but I have failed to yet find a pattern.
http://www.promdressshop.com/images/Promdresses/P812LGfuchsiapromdress
If anyone has any ideas where I could get this pattern as I love the whole idea of the bodice then please let me know.  Grin Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 03:48:40 PM by JazzJ » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Piglette
« Reply #1269 on: January 11, 2008 06:56:54 PM »

Wow...so in a month or so, Im gonna start working with my Grama on my prom dress.
I have no clue when My prom is, my school doesnt tell until the last minute for some reason!!! I think its in April or May.

The design I was going for was this:
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/BRStudent/Scribbles/Dressdesign3.jpg

Something I came up about a few hours ago.
Note: Its not a corset, although Id love one. Just really princess seams with Belt-like buckles in the back to tighten it. And the stripey things are Plaid.

Details: Solid colored bust & Plaid waist w/Buckled Back, two skirts(solid top layer; plaid bottom). Giant slit up skirt lined with Grommet/eyelet tape and laced up part way. Same tape going across the top of the...shirt/top.

Ive been looking through patterns but I have no clue what would work. Any ideas?!
I have yet to decide colors as well because the Guy Im going to ask, will probably get a matching Vest or tie and he Doesnt like Purple(my first color choice). Oh well!

Any Ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Salted Caramels at Home
How To Make Chocolate Holiday Bark
Chocolate-Toffee-Oatmeal Drop Cookie Recipe
How to Make Chocolate-Coconut Bars
The Secret to Making Royal Icing
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...