A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 296622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vicious Hyperbolizer
« Reply #1370 on: January 17, 2009 07:47:15 PM »

I have a feeling that I'm getting myself into an impossible project with my prom dress.
problem 1: I'm re-crafting old clothes, so I only have small amounts of fabric
problem 2: I'm not using a pattern
problem 3: I have no idea what I want my dress to look like.
solution to problem 3: In a moment struck with genius, I had a vision. My adorable FLANNEL prom dress. I commented to a few friends a while back that you rarely see cute flannel anything, and that I wanted to eventually make flannel girly. Well, here's my chance!
http://www.joann.com/joann/shop/shop_tszoom.jsp?path=http://www.joann.com/images/08/42/3/84232_p.jpg
this is the fabric I'm using. I'm also going to be making my jewelry, all in shades of red.

I have until May 1st, though, so I have some time.
I'm also going to be making a dressform soon, so I'll have my body to build from.
Our prom theme is "on the red carpet" or something such.
Any ideas? Help, please?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009 04:01:21 PM by Vicious Hyperbolizer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill." -Barbara Tuchman
anafelix
« Reply #1371 on: February 12, 2009 06:19:27 PM »

I haven't been shopping yet, but because we live in a rural area I basically know where everyone's gonna shop. I don't want to end up with the same dress as someone else. To prevent this, I've decided to join the leagues of all you amazing girls and make my own. I've narrowed it down to basically one pattern, Vogue 1044 http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V1044.htm?search=1044&page=1. I'm curious if this is a very difficult pattern to use. I'm an intermediate at sewing and I have about 3 months to make it and an abundance of free time. The pattern suggests tafetta, crepe and shaunting but can you use other non-stretch fabrics? I detest taffeta and I think it'd be very unflattering. Also, I found a very pretty blue plaid fabric. I'm odd and everyone knows it so it wouldn't be completely out of character for me to wear something like that, but would this dress (or any similar 50's style dresses) look terrible in this shape?

A lot of words, I know, but any help would be completely appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1372 on: February 12, 2009 07:31:23 PM »

I haven't been shopping yet, but because we live in a rural area I basically know where everyone's gonna shop. I don't want to end up with the same dress as someone else. To prevent this, I've decided to join the leagues of all you amazing girls and make my own. I've narrowed it down to basically one pattern, Vogue 1044 http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V1044.htm?search=1044&page=1. I'm curious if this is a very difficult pattern to use. I'm an intermediate at sewing and I have about 3 months to make it and an abundance of free time. The pattern suggests tafetta, crepe and shaunting but can you use other non-stretch fabrics? I detest taffeta and I think it'd be very unflattering. Also, I found a very pretty blue plaid fabric. I'm odd and everyone knows it so it wouldn't be completely out of character for me to wear something like that, but would this dress (or any similar 50's style dresses) look terrible in this shape?

A lot of words, I know, but any help would be completely appreciated.

I just bought that pattern recently because it was on sale at Joanns. I haven't tried it just yet so I don't know how difficult it is. Anyway, I would suggest you do a mock up in cheap fabric to see how difficult it is and then use the real fabric after you have tried the pattern once.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
Yeesha
« Reply #1373 on: February 14, 2009 03:37:20 PM »

Hey girls,

Look at this: Shocked 
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/cattycass/twilight/victoriaalice.jpg

The dress of rachel lefevre, who is on right side, is just soooo adorable!!

http://hmonthly.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/082008_fash9.jpg
that's another view

I really want to make this dress and wear it at my prom. But I'm not this sewing-expert, just made some bags... So I really don't know how to manage anything about it. So maybe you can help me with this...
What kind of pattern can I use for it? I think I could create the skirt but the top...? And what kind of fabric do I need? And is this going to be very complicated? I know I probably can't do the stitching on the top, but maybe I can create something like it.

love to hear your answers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
befffff
Nice to see you, To see you nice!

so uncool it's cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1374 on: March 01, 2009 08:36:28 AM »

so...
i have read most of this thread...

I was always going to make mine. then i saw one(and tried it on) at our prom fashion show. it was pale pink and floor length with a ridiculously poofy skirt.i felt like a princess!

i rang my mum and asked for it(if i got it then it would be 100 inc fitting and that is discount and cheap for the amount of work and fabric in the mutha-eff!) but she said no so i had a tantrum fit for a spoilt toddler princess.

so i went back to making it. i was going to be a sweetheart neckline, knee length fairly flowy skirt in a dark blue silk or something similar.

then...
i was walking home from school and walked past the fabric shop and saw a georgous taffeta(i think) that was kind of off white (a slightly green,yellow off white)(like this but with a bit of a greener tone http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CREAM-GOLD-SHOT-TAFFETA-100-SILK-FABRIC-DRESS-CRAFT_W0QQitemZ120371087816QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM?hash=item120371087816&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318)
and decided it would be amazing to have a sweetheart neckline still, a corset top with possibly a frayed chiffon ruffle at the top and a full skirt that would be about knee length.
i will be wearing converse(heels=nono) and may 're-upholster' them with the same fabric or similar and i want to put a mixture of kanzashi(flowers), pearls and chain(to make it a bit 'edgy')in my hair and have some chain bracelets(just chain) and a chain halter(coming from the middle of the neckline).

phew.i cant draw so i will have to use my words.

i dont have a pattern but don't need one. my sisters friend is doing corsetry at uni so if needs be i can ask her for help and im getting a dressform for my birthday which i will use on the skirt.

i have a while(prom is 3rd july) and two weeks holiday(beggining april 6th) but i also have exams.and no study leave.we go to lessons until that subject has finished.

but i think i can do it!
(i would appreciate thoughts about the two designs etc)

its so inspirational this thread is!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"she'll need a full body cast...
a big wooden one."

(evil quip 2.0)
anafelix
« Reply #1375 on: March 02, 2009 11:09:16 AM »

Hey Everyone, I just found a contest at Jo-ann's for DIY prom dresses. I posted the contest in a different board but here's a link to it http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=294882.0.  If anybody enters, Good Luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pearblossom
« Reply #1376 on: March 07, 2009 05:48:34 PM »

!! whyislife, I have those shoes too! Aren't they fabulous? And on the comfortable side, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

car alarm = boy who cried wolf + amplification.
pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1377 on: March 12, 2009 10:38:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure I never posted the results on my prom dress, so even though I wore it two years ago, I figured I might as well do it now that I have a proper picture.

My mom actually sewed it, since I have horribly unsteady hands at the sewing machine. We bought a corset from our local lingerie and "gift" store (God, that was fun going in there with my mother :/ ) and then she sewed the skirt. The original plan pretty much got totally scraped due to time and monetary constraints. She just used plain black satin to sew the a-line skirt. She also sewed the matching choker, on which I put the locket my bf gave me for our first Christmas together. What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009 10:41:14 PM by pikaboo26 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?
___________________ _____

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
Miss American Pie
« Reply #1378 on: March 16, 2009 02:00:23 PM »

Ooooh, pikaboo your dress is so beautiful! You look so classy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pikaboo26
#LOFNOTC

We're all gonna die. Be good to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1379 on: March 17, 2009 06:20:47 AM »

Thank you! My bf's grandparents are so cute they were fawning all over me. I seriously thought his grandma looked like she was having a heart attack!

One suggestion though: if anyone wants to try this (buying a corset as the top and sewing their own skirt), make sure you start by trying on sizes that seem like they're far too small for you. My was a 36 (which is even smaller than my bra size) and it wanted to fall off all night. In this case, smaller is better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's North from here?
___________________ _____

"As far as I'm concerned, reality can go take a flying f*ck at a rolling doughnut." -Stephen King
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph a Scarecrow
Light Painting and Starlight Photography
The Retouching
Processing the Raw File
Post Production of a Landscape Photograph
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...