A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 305,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 311454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LiliDesign
Little Miss Magpie

www.lilidesigns.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1340 on: May 04, 2008 04:28:10 AM »

whyislife and cloud_9, thanks for your suggestions,i love the sleeves on the vogue pattern, and wow that marchessa dress is incredible.  cloud_9 your dress is beautiful, I love that purple and the 'embroidery' is really pretty.

I should really be revising, but have come up with some ideas myself!  http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5320.htm?tab=evening_prom_bridal&page=1 has a nice poofy skirt shape.  I have decided I want a thick sash in a contrasting colour to pull my waist in/hide any messy stitching, which ties at the back and has draping ends.  And I'm going to sew crystals on a tulle skirt, densely at the top then thinning out as it graduates down.  Or I could embroider a big metallic peacock feather curving down with the skirt.  Aww I have all these ideas now, it's never going to happen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The website's up and running, and the shop will be ready soon ~ www.lilidesigns.co.uk ~ Unique Handmade Jewellery Designs
whyislife
« Reply #1341 on: May 04, 2008 08:10:17 PM »

prom was friday! i finished my dress in time (barely. ten minutes before we left.)

here is link
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=244185.0

=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
helloSUNSHINE

i wish i wasn't a one time crafter

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 10, 2008 10:34:07 PM »

prom was last week may 3rd. i am skipping my AP studying to post my dress up. the more i look back the more i like it. i ended up going with a different idea due to time and lack of hand beading skill.

check it out
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=245317.msg2713444#msg2713444
THIS ROCKS   Logged
givethem_monday
« Reply #1343 on: May 14, 2008 12:16:26 PM »

Oh I am so happy this thread is still being posted in. Words first.. then pictures Smiley
I'm making a dress completely designed and drafted by me just for convenience sake. Thankfully my buddy skarinja let me borrow her dress form so this was actually possible.
I was inspired by.. who else.. Marie Antionette at first. Then I got into watching The Tudors on showtime.. holy crap are those some AWESOME costumes. So essentially I wanted a modern dress that was reminiscent of old, bouffant corseted dresses.
I was about to use a 19th century English corset pattern but when I realized it was meant to cinch the waist 5-6 inches I nixed that idea and just used the general shape of the pattern to make bodice pieces. Actually I nixed the idea of a traditional corset altogether but the back laces up and the lining looks like a corset but the outside fabric looks like a regular boned bodice.
I bought blue/green chiffon at a fabric store and antique brocade from an antique store. I'm pretty sure it's meant for drapes or upholstery but I made it into a dress.. It's pretty heavy gold silk brocade. $5/yd! Whoot! I cut out pieces of each fabric and laid the chiffon over the brocade and then basted the edges so the resulting color is a very light green/blue.. more green than anything. But when I move in it and when the skirt moves there are hints of more blue/green, more gold here and there.. you'll see what I mean.
So it's got a sweetheart neckline, darts in the front, corseted back, full skirt, bustle and I'm making a petticoat which is hell. Pictures to come.. I looked through all of the pictures on this thread and I am so humbled by what people can make with some fabric and some love.
Pictures to come I promise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purevitality
« Reply #1344 on: May 14, 2008 01:33:00 PM »

Haha helloSUNSHINE, I got lucky enough that my AP tests all took place AFTER prom. So major props for having dealt with it! But even with the added stress, yours looks great!

givethem_monday-Please please please post a picture soon! That sounds beyond cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody here is out of sight
they dont bark and they dont bite
they keep things loose they keep it tight
everybodys dancing in the moonlight
purevitality
« Reply #1345 on: May 14, 2008 01:34:09 PM »

Oh no! I forgot to link my dress!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=241392.msg2659590#msg2659590
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody here is out of sight
they dont bark and they dont bite
they keep things loose they keep it tight
everybodys dancing in the moonlight
maivynator
« Reply #1346 on: May 19, 2008 08:40:46 AM »

hello! my prom was just this weekend.  it was awesome!  i had known i was going to make my dress the whole year, but i really didn't end up making it until a few days before and well the morning of prom ><.  yes i was cutting it pretty close.  it wasn't actually very labor intensive though which is a plus.  i drafted my own pattern going off my own body cause i don't have a dress form! it really turned out exactly how i wanted and i love it madly!  so here are pictures.  sorry, no pictures of the process, i was too flustered!

this one is a bit blurry and without flash

this probably shows it a bit better

this is me wearing it with my part of my prom crew.  aren't we all just so pretty? the top pleating took forever, but it was worth it.

ah! disaster strikes!! my zipper popped in the limo as i was getting out ><  it was a pretty shotty zipper and i had bought from a really shady place....bad idea i guess. not to worry though emergency surgery was done.

my friend stitched the zipper up and it was super frankenstein status.  but it held up the rest of the night and i had a super awesome time! yay for prom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiliDesign
Little Miss Magpie

www.lilidesigns.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1347 on: May 19, 2008 10:43:08 AM »

Maivynator, that's a gorgeous dress, I love the shape and the fabric.  And it's incredible how you drafted it yourself!  How did you make the skirt so poofy...is there a petticoat?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The website's up and running, and the shop will be ready soon ~ www.lilidesigns.co.uk ~ Unique Handmade Jewellery Designs
timid_gothica

I will spray paint your face!

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 19, 2008 02:49:42 PM »

at least you know how to have a good time when disaster strikes! quick thinking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die
- Hunter S. Thompson

my etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5779650
ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #1349 on: May 20, 2008 11:42:37 AM »

I finished mine! it's here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=247154.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Conveying Passion and Feeling with Movement
Dutch Design Tip: Focus on the Story Behind the Product
How Details Enable Sustainable Design Differentiation
How British Stationers and Tailors Inspire Product Design
Art of Sustainable Shoemaking
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...