A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 304664 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

helloSUNSHINE

i wish i wasn't a one time crafter

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 17, 2008 10:40:37 PM »

i'm going to prom this year so i'm also joining the prom-a-long. but gahh all my stressful AP classes and SATs etc. i don't know if i'll have time to do anything. besides, i rarely craft unless i need to haha  Tongue

anyway, i am going to be a bit daring and hand bead the bust part. i figure i could just go down to my local goodwill and try to find some prom dress there and hack off the top and attach the skirt part onto the beaded bust.

i don't know how to make that beautiful flowy, greek goddess type gowns you see on the runway. does anyone have any tips? i'm thinking of overlaying the hacked skirt bottom with some chiffon or something light and it will be all flowy except i have no clue how to make it like that.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GracefuLxDisasteR

thinking of you, wherever you are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1281 on: January 18, 2008 07:05:30 PM »

i am probably making my dress this year for my first prom ^_^ and sort of have an idea but i need some help.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/833180/07pat108a.jpg

anyone know a pattern like this one? or how to do the top of the bodice?[i plan to do the left one] i have a pattern that could work for the rest, i'm just clueless on how to do the twisted top.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013 02:08:18 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
skarinja
« Reply #1282 on: January 18, 2008 07:44:08 PM »

i am probably making my dress this year for my first prom ^_^ and sort of have an idea but i need some help.

anyone know a pattern like this one? or how to do the top of the bodice?[i plan to do the left one] i have a pattern that could work for the rest, i'm just clueless on how to do the twisted top.

I make dresses like this often. For a pattern for the skirt, any vintage vogue stuff (ex.V2960) would probably work. For the waist section, make it paneled and line it. McCalls has a great pattern for that type of midsection (the pic on the front is a girl with short blonde hair in a mint green dress with tulle coming out the bottom in the evening section.. the number escapes me). In the lining sew in boning where each seam is. This combined with skin tightness on your waist will prevent the dress from slipping. For the top part, my suggestions are as follows: 1) Use a dress form of yourself to do entirely with draping. Pin it in a few places and hand sew it in a few places. Then put interfacing on the back and iron it so the drapes stay in place permanently. Sew it to a lining and put some breast pads in. 2) If you don't have a dress form, perhaps make one or try to do it to a friend's boobs that are similar in size to yours (if she lets you). I think this is definitely most achievable if you try to drape it rather than make a pattern or something.

Smiley Good luck it's pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog pleats n' eats!!

http://pleatsneats.tumblr.com/
Happychick
« Reply #1283 on: January 19, 2008 08:27:57 AM »

I've been lusting after the dresses on this thread for years (no, seriously Tongue) and I can't believe that it's actually realistic to be thinking about making my prom dress now! I went fabric shopping today, but didn't find anything I liked - does anyone know if there's a way to delustre satin DIY style? The only colours I found that I liked were way too shiny...

I'm going to do a red, rockabilly-style dress with a circle skirt, tulle underneath (for added POOF!) and a sweetheart neckline. I haven't decided if I want straps or not yet, but if I do they'll be halter straps I think... I'll decide about that when I see how well I can hold up the dress without them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #1284 on: January 19, 2008 09:05:16 AM »

i'm going to prom this year so i'm also joining the prom-a-long. but gahh all my stressful AP classes and SATs etc. i don't know if i'll have time to do anything. besides, i rarely craft unless i need to haha  Tongue

anyway, i am going to be a bit daring and hand bead the bust part. i figure i could just go down to my local goodwill and try to find some prom dress there and hack off the top and attach the skirt part onto the beaded bust.

i don't know how to make that beautiful flowy, greek goddess type gowns you see on the runway. does anyone have any tips? i'm thinking of overlaying the hacked skirt bottom with some chiffon or something light and it will be all flowy except i have no clue how to make it like that.  Huh

you sound just like me! ap classes really get in the way, but for the past semester, i've only had 2 classes (a half day) onthe of my schedule days. logically, i should have figured it out so that happened second semster, but of course, i just wanted to not go to school more!
but now i have sooooo much less time.

i have had my pattern for a while, but it's just a question of the fabric. I want the baroque satin from joanns (it's like 5 dollars a yard, and goes on sale all the time!), but the last tiem i went there they didn't have enough and the employees were really annoying about it (they never know anything. they never know if theres more in the back, etc...grrr)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GracefuLxDisasteR

thinking of you, wherever you are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1285 on: January 20, 2008 07:07:50 AM »

I make dresses like this often. For a pattern for the skirt, any vintage vogue stuff (ex.V2960) would probably work. For the waist section, make it paneled and line it. McCalls has a great pattern for that type of midsection (the pic on the front is a girl with short blonde hair in a mint green dress with tulle coming out the bottom in the evening section.. the number escapes me). In the lining sew in boning where each seam is. This combined with skin tightness on your waist will prevent the dress from slipping. For the top part, my suggestions are as follows: 1) Use a dress form of yourself to do entirely with draping. Pin it in a few places and hand sew it in a few places. Then put interfacing on the back and iron it so the drapes stay in place permanently. Sew it to a lining and put some breast pads in. 2) If you don't have a dress form, perhaps make one or try to do it to a friend's boobs that are similar in size to yours (if she lets you). I think this is definitely most achievable if you try to drape it rather than make a pattern or something.

Smiley Good luck it's pretty.

thank you so much for all of the suggestions and help. i accually have that mccalls pattern stashed away for another dress, but i guess it is going to have a different project as its first. and your right, it probably would be better to drape it. guess i'm gonna have to make a dress form, or attempt to find someone who will let me borrow their boobs for a while. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1286 on: January 20, 2008 09:34:23 AM »

I'm going to join this promalong again. But the only difference is that I won't be wearing it to prom, being I graduated two years ago. Cheesy I have a new design drawn out that I want to make. If anyone doesn't mind. I love making prom dresses and miss being able to wear them. The challenge of this dress is that I have four different colors and only a yard of each. But I think I can make them work.
 But on the other hand I'm most likely going to be making one of my friend's sister a prom dress. So I'll know where to post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happychick
« Reply #1287 on: January 20, 2008 01:50:44 PM »

I did a dry run of my prom dress today (it was my own pattern, and I really didn't want to muck up 15/m fabric!), and it turned out so much better than I'd ever anticipated! Not only does it fit, but it looks nice! O___O I haven't hemmed it or anything yet, and I may add straps, but I was too excited to hold off on posting Cheesy

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Mumpifiedchick/Dressdryrun.jpg
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013 02:08:40 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Babyangel
Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1288 on: January 20, 2008 02:06:27 PM »

Happychick that looks super cute! Have you picked out the fabric you will be using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twinkletoes
« Reply #1289 on: February 13, 2008 07:53:51 AM »

I decided about a month ago to make my formal (our version of prom) dress.
The formal is tonight, and I finished the dress yesterday - yay!!
I'm surprised how well it turned out, I'd never really sewn much before.
I made simplicity 4272, in green, and added straps.
Hopefully I'll post a photo after tonight Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008 09:46:06 AM by twinkletoes » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Promises Book Trailer
Shoptimism Book Trailer
Return to Beauty Book Trailer
Bestselling Author Stephen King Talks About Under the Dome
Alisa Malek Talks About A Country Called Amreeka
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...