A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,829
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 140
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Promalong - Making your own Prom dress? Join the club!  (Read 335883 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
indigo flower girl
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005 05:57:27 PM »

I hereby join! I don't know squat about putting a bra into a dress, so nothing there. I have no date, plenty of time, no fabric, and plenty of ideas.  Smiley

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005 07:15:18 PM »

Madamedefarge: based on your colouring (lol, how hokey does that sound?) I think a colour/fabric like Charlize Theron's or Nicole Kidman's dresses at the Golden Globes would be gorgeous..

That is a very pretty color.  Thanks for suggesting it.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005 08:43:45 PM »

I hereby join! I don't know squat about putting a bra into a dress, so nothing there. I have no date, plenty of time, no fabric, and plenty of ideas.  Smiley

Same here, not even planning on going to junior/senior prom (I'm a freshman after all), but would like to make a pretty dress...

Now to find a fabric, color, and design....

"Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005 09:33:11 PM »

what about this ayame?? i designed it myself i one day want to become a fashion designer hurray for me

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013 12:34:36 PM by meleriffic - Reason: changed non-working image to link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005 10:01:50 PM »

I am far past prom... but here is the company I purchased all of my dresses from back in the day Wink  I love 'em... maybe some of their designs will inspire you guys.
Loralie =>  http://www.loralie.com/promc.php3?p=A
They also have accesories & all that crazy stuff.. Bridemaids too, I believe.  There is a section where...if you see fabric on a dress you like... you can purchase just the fabric now, as well.

My proms were in 98 & 99...but here's the dresses I wore Wink  Loralie's selection has increased so much.. I am very jealous now.  And no laughing!  I was fat & had braces...get over it Tongue
Junior year... http://www.columbusgamers.com/sweetness/promv1.jpg and http://www.columbusgamers.com/sweetness/mandai.jpg
Senior year... http://www.columbusgamers.com/sweetness/jgarter1.jpg and http://www.columbusgamers.com/sweetness/2pond.jpg
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005 04:26:15 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When life gives you lemons, make cocktails! Grin
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005 12:47:14 AM »

I am definitely in. My boyfriend's a senior, so I must go with him hehe..then I'll have to make another one for MY prom two years later. XD

I've already started on mine...mine is going to black. The black is a little sheer, so I'm putting some other bright colored fabric underneath...not sure what color yet. I've started on the top though--it's ruched in two parts down the front. I'm not sure what to do for the bottom yet, but I'm about to go back to mess around with it some more haha.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005 01:01:27 AM »

Prom is such a cute American thing, I really look forward to see what you guys come up with. (We didn't really have a prom in my school, lots of prom like bals at university)

I've made some bal gowns and my suggestions and my suggestion is. Make a separate top and skirt. But make them so that they look like they are a dress. That way you have a skirt you can wear to other formal occasions ( like weddings etc) and top you can dress down/up for different occasions...

Making a top and a skirt is easier as well then a whole dress for those that are not such experianced in making things from scratch.

My best thing to do when I did attend all the bals was, H&M usualy make cheap simple nice dresses. And then i'd put all decorations and stuff on them to change them and make them look propper bal gownie...

cause when it comes to a prom dress/bal gown, it's in details. The assesories can really make a plain dress stand out. sort of macthing clutch bag. half long gloves, necklace, Red Carpet earings etc...

anyway...best of luck
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005 02:57:28 PM »

Woha! I went away for like two days and it's like my post cought fire!
I'm so excited that everyone else is excited!

I also do not have a date. But my theory is: Make the dress and the date will follow. It worked last year! Tongue

My dress is going to be black, perhaps taffeta, slightly altered from a 1940's/1950's pattern from my grandmother. Very Audry Hepburn. To be worn with pearls, of course!

I'll be posting a picture of the pattern very soon!

Check out the Knitting Journal
indigo flower girl
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005 03:18:13 PM »

Yay!! Grin

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.

ohhh eeee it stung me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2005 06:03:32 PM »

hi, i was just absentmindedly floating through craftster cause i'm a teacher and am supposed to be writing report cards tonight, but that's too boring.  Sweets4ever.  i saw your prom pictures and LOVE them.  really, there must be a sight somewhere where we can all post our old prom pics.  i went in 91-92 and my dresses were bad!  one was short, with a sweetheart neckline, and crinoline!  i wore it with a black straw milkmaid sort of hat.  it was so awful and i loved it so much.  in fact, if i still had it i would go put it on right now to help me get through the tedium of work.  it's hard to feel tedious in a crinoline.
have fun making those dresses!  and seriously, go without a date, you'll be way more fabulous that way.  as an old lady of 30, i gotta tell ya, in a few years, you'll remember exactly what everyone wore, but will have no clue what the name of the guy (or girl) you went with was. 

je love toi so much.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 140 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make Your Eyes Pop With Bright Liner
Birchbox February 2015: Sample Choice and Birchbox Plus Reveal
Day to Night Makeup Tutorial
How to Save Money on Your Beauty Routine
The Miracle Vitamin That Banishes Breakouts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Party
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Needle Minder
The Legacy of Bob Ross

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...