A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Masala" crazy quilt  (Read 5862 times)
Tags for this thread: crazy_quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2005 01:01:44 PM »

I'm just getting one of my wall-hanging quilts ready to enter into a student/staff art show at my university, and I realized that I haven't posted it here. This is a quilt I made for my parents; I made a second quilt with many of the same fabrics for my fianc, and posted it here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=7659.0

I call this quilt "Masala" because of its spicy colours. One of the main features of the quilt does not, unfortunately, come through in photographs: namely, all the fabrics (and even the ribbons and rick-rack) are highly textured, so it's a very tactile piece that invites touching. There's corduroy, velvet, microfiber, satin, you name it! One tricky aspect of using so many different fabrics is trying to get everything to lie flat where there are joins; it's also sometimes harder to do the embellishments, because some fabrics are woven too tightly to allow embroidery, so the designs have to take that into account.

The individual squares were pieced by hand, to a fabric backing, and then embellished with ribbon, rick-rack, and lots of embroidery. The entire quilt was then sewn together by machine: I don't trust my hand-sewing to follow straight lines over a distance!

Details of the panels:

I'm trying to kick-start my energy to get back to quilting. I have a half-pieced quilt that I'm currently working on, but it hasn't progressed much in months. It's going to be a similar 8-panel design, only instead of just abstract colour and design, it's depicting a view of rock and water and sky --- based roughly on the landscape of the English coastline in West Somerset, where I lived once... The whole thing will be overlaid with lots of beading and embroidery and trim-work, for sparking water, rain, and so on.

(ETA: link to the other quilt.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005 01:24:11 PM by trufflegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
jamaicaplainjen
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005 01:05:55 PM »

This is so beautiful! Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uberhippie

"I think I'm addicted.."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005 01:27:46 PM »

that is an amazing quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
planet5
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005 01:34:36 PM »

That's a beautiful quilt - I especially love your embellishments. I'm just now learning to always think of potential embellishments for my projects. Sometimes, more is more! I have a wall hanging quilt project that I need to get to that is also a more contemporary study of color and texture. I only hope mine comes out as beautifully as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In this place it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.
Blog: http://buzzville.typepad.com/
Julia Thorne
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005 01:35:41 PM »

I love it!

I'm going to India soon (6.5 weeks!) and my plan is to bring back a suitcase full of fabric to make some quilts out of.. So hopefully I'll have my own spicy masala quilts completed in a year or so.  I'm picturing lots of silk, cotton, and colour.  I can't wait to go to the markets to do some fabric shopping.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005 03:53:32 PM »

Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goddessterri
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005 04:16:19 PM »

I love it! I especially like the way panels are clearly individual in their own sense but hang well together.  Is there any signficance to the paw prints on the last panel?  Also, what size are the individual squares?
Terri
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boleyn

Queen Anne Lackhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005 05:14:10 PM »

That's stunning!! You did a beautiful job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005 07:49:23 PM »

Thanks, everyone!

Planet5: Thank you, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for your quilting results! I love playing with layers and layers of embellishment --- I am fascinated with those old Victorian crazy quilts and all their embellishment, and wanted to give somewhat the same effect, but with a more modern feel.

Julia_thorne: My sister spent a term in India a year or so ago, and brought back an entire suitcase of saris and other fabric for chopping and sewing. She's made so many beautiful things with them! I hope you have a great trip and get to bring home some equally inspiring trasures to sew with.

GoddessTerri: The entire quilt is about 24"x40"; I'd estimate that the squares are about 8" each. They started as 9" squares, but as I appliqued the fabric and did the embroidery, etc., they got a bit smaller... Then I had to trim them down further to make them all even-sized squares. The paw prints are there to represent my father's dog, who died last year at the age of 17. (Most of the other embellishments mean something or other --- visual references to places that my family members have travelled, and that sort of thing.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005 11:59:16 PM »

Holy kittens, that is breathtaking!!! Shocked Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set ISO Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Format Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Flash Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Delete Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...